• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bocefus78

Master
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 9, 2014
    Hamilton Co.
    Any chance this can happen? I've got a teen (not mine....16yo) I'd personally cover any expenses needed for an interpreter. She will need hand signals and physical touch for line commands....she can't hear at all without her cochlear implants. I will lay next to her on the line. Dad is worthless. Gave up custodity long ago due to her hearing.

Private shoot? I can provide property. I'll provide interpreters. I carry a multi million dollar insurance policy personally for my property and business.

This is a personal favor.

Anyone want to help make a kids dream come true? Where should I start?

MohawkSlim

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2015
    15th Street, Bedford
    If you're up in Hamilton county you're proximal to the rock stars of the cadre. I'm sure they'll make this happen.

As a matter of fact, I bet someone is typing you a PM right now.

ol' Huff

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 8, 2012
    I'm the Event Director for the shoot in Bedford, IN September 26-27. There is no need for a private event. We have enough staff to accommodate this request. In fact, if you can get her there, I will waive the fee and personally instruct the student myself. I have had several conversations with another person who uses cochlear implants to hear about the topic and am certain we can be successful.

I don't know sign, but I can learn a lot in a couple weeks. Ill have a small dry erase board to communicate more complex themes or use a voice translator on my iphone. I can also have a young volunteer about that age on hands to help when I am needed elsewhere and give her someone to pal around with. Anything needed that we can get will be provided.

If this is not a convenient date or location, I understand, but let me make it clear: THE BEDFORD CONTINGENT LIVES FOR THIS. We relish the opportunity to attempt the difficult. We relish the opportunity to share what we have with others. We love to usher young people into their journey as shooters. WE WANT THIS CHALLENGE. We will do whatever it takes to make this a positive, educational experience AND WE HAVE HAMBURGERS AND HOT DOGS ON SATURDAY AND FRIED CHICKEN ON SUNDAY!!

If you would like to hire a translator, we have no problem with that. Not knowing what the cost would be I am uncertain of what that would entail. I can assure you, though, should this young lady attend our event every effort will be made to see the job done.

bocefus78

Master
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 9, 2014
    Hamilton Co.
    Thanks for the responses! A little more background.

This girl is my friends ex gf's daughter. He basically raised her. She ask him to take her hunting this year, but she's never fired a gun. So naturally I suggested a class first and I figured if anyone could do it, it'd be rr. I watched this girl grow up. I babysat her a few times. She's a great kid who's had it rough. Dad needs beat, and mom isn't much better. I will leave it at that.

Huff, thanks for the kind offer. I can't speak for my friend, but I'm guessing bedford is too far. The girl lives in muncie. I think there are too many miles between bedford and her.

I will let him know and keep you posted. I just wanted to see if this was even going to be possible. Huff, the person you talked to with implants...did they say the implants will need removed, or will standard ear pro work in conjunction with them? That was my initial question. I assumed they would be removed.

She's a heck of a lip reader so I wouldn't go learning sign just yet. She may not need it.

Edit: confirmed with friend...bedford is too far. He also said there is no rush and appreciated the offer greatly.

Last edited:

obijohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Terre Haute
    I would be happy to discuss training with you. Adaptive Consulting & Training has a cornerstone of its' foundation the training of the differently abled. I will pm you shortly.

ol' Huff

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 8, 2012
    He turned off his implants when we shot, then turned them on when we spoke. We spent about three hours together and I helped him develop a curriculum he could use with other deaf folks. I don't know if he ever deployed it.

Top Bottom