• ...and so much more!
  • indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    77   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    Picking them up off the ground and throwing them on a wagon is miserable. I’ve never understood why people did that. Before we bought this accumulator, we pulled a wagon behind the baler.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    It took a while for an engineer to come up with what Kuhns builds today. Let me tell you about how technology has advanced in 110 years (though I'm sure you already know)..

My favorite road locomotive.

cmann250

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jan 2, 2018
    Land of 300bu corn
    It took a while for an engineer to come up with what Kuhns builds today. Let me tell you about how technology has advanced in 110 years (though I'm sure you already know)..

My favorite road locomotive.

Quite a bit of torque there. I’m glad I don’t have to build a fire and heat up water to start my tractor.

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    77   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    As requested, the grapple. I pull an 18 bale Kuhn’s MFG accumulator behind the baler. 6 bales wide and 3 bales deep. Fits well on 102” wide trailers. The guy running the loader pushes the end to even the back up, swipes the side to even it up, and then sets the hooks.

bb203db852793530b47cd17186f68f5d.jpg

What tractor is this? When I was 12 my uncle bought a late 60s JD 4020. I am pretty sure it was diesel. From what I've read, one of John Deere's best models.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    This is one I follow. Uses all old equipment. Interesting cat, quit being an Architect.

I've spent some time pulling a haybine like that. We always waited until last to cut the outside row, especially along the woods. That way you noticed if there were any limbs down that could bust the mower when the tires bumped over them and you could get off and remove them.

cmann250

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jan 2, 2018
    Land of 300bu corn
    What tractor is this? When I was 12 my uncle bought a late 60s JD 4020. I am pretty sure it was diesel. From what I've read, one of John Deere's best models.

The loader tractor is a 4320. Pretty much a turbo 4020 with 38 inch tires.

I bale with a ‘66 4020 synchro diesel. This is my Camaro/Mustang. The New Generation Deere’s are great looking tractors that are still somewhat useable today.

98804ae38eb6f08246cd323ac5d94b46.jpg

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    Picking them up off the ground and throwing them on a wagon is miserable. I’ve never understood why people did that. Before we bought this accumulator, we pulled a wagon behind the baler.

Grandpa hired the high school footballers. . . And me to pick up and load and stack. If you put 'em on the ground you could run 2 wagons and a pickup or two at the same time and stay ahead of the crews. Was hard to buy a stacker or grapple in the 60's and 70's. And those football players needed the summer workout. I'd bet I've handled close to 300,000 bales if you count all the times I touched one. Maybe more if you include loading and unloading the pickup to feed the cows in the winter.

cmann250

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jan 2, 2018
    Land of 300bu corn
    Grandpa hired the high school footballers. . . And me to pick up and load and stack. If you put 'em on the ground you could run 2 wagons and a pickup or two at the same time and stay ahead of the crews. Was hard to buy a stacker or grapple in the 60's and 70's. And those football players needed the summer workout. I'd bet I've handled close to 300,000 bales if you count all the times I touched one. Maybe more if you include loading and unloading the pickup to feed the cows in the winter.

No hitch on the back of your baler? I spent several summers riding a wagon behind the baler. The tractor pulled the baler and the baler pulled the wagon. We could fit a little over 400 bales on the 3 wagons we had.

I have NO idea how we got anything done back then.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    No hitch on the back of your baler? I spent several summers riding a wagon behind the baler. The tractor pulled the baler and the baler pulled the wagon. We could fit a little over 400 bales on the 3 wagons we had.

I have NO idea how we got anything done back then.

Don't know if there was or not. We never used it. The smaller grandkids rolled bales together into groups to keep them busy. Got to where a 40# bale in each hand wasn't a stretch anymore. The 5'8" farmer up the road would go all day in his 50's. Grab one in each hand and swing one onto the wagon and then the other. Got to the point I could throw those bales 5 high on the 3/4 ton chevy 4x4. Worst job in the field was stacker because you handled every bale on the truck. Not just half of them like the guys on the ground.

rwilky78

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 27, 2016
    Kendallville
    The loader tractor is a 4320. Pretty much a turbo 4020 with 38 inch tires.

I bale with a ‘66 4020 synchro diesel. This is my Camaro/Mustang. The New Generation Deere’s are great looking tractors that are still somewhat useable today.

98804ae38eb6f08246cd323ac5d94b46.jpg

We have a Deere 4010 that my Grandpa bought brand new in 1966. We still have today and still use and it. We gave it a new paint job when i was in high school about 20 years ago. That diesel engine will haul the coals, that's for sure.

tmschuller

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    Grant county
    Depending on the type of hay. Many types of hay. And bales can vary in weight. I’ve had round bales weigh in at 1200# and others 800#. Squares can be 35#~70# I’m moving round bales today if you want a first hand experience and really get to know more about it. Free horse ride and beer.
    The market drove prices up due to lack of water and to much.
    Square bale- $3-7 Round bale $30-60

tmschuller

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    Grant county
    951d43f2ae13413d5457ade31cfe8a64.jpg

I’m usually on the baler tractor and not the loader tractor, so this is about all I have.

Can’t imagine having enough hay to have to use a semi and big trailer to load! Last year we struggled to find enough hay to feed our horses.. we run a horse rescue and use them to work with kids. Some horses are older and trying to find decent hay for them. I had 1 round bale left before the pastures we’re ready to graze on.

tmschuller

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    Grant county
    Yea stacking is the worst, especially in the barn. There’s no air moving up there.

Amen! I helped friends bale and the barn had a two story hay mound. They would have at least 7 wagons to unload and no hay elevator.. toss off the wagon and toss up to the next level. We got payed in blt sandwiches. Found out the gloves are really important too. Kinda miss those days. There’s times when I have no help and it’s just my wife and I. Her and the dogs ride in the truck and I’m stacking the wagon. Then throw bales in the mound and she pulled them down some 2x10’s I nailed together for a hillbilly conveyor . When they were full of bales I would go up and stack bales. I bought a hay elevator last year! But still use the 2x10 conveyor , it’s polished very smooth from the bales Now the grandkids love helping. Still hoping to do square bales this 2nd cutting. We had about 2” of rain last night so this heat will make it grow

cmann250

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jan 2, 2018
    Land of 300bu corn
    TM, as a horse owner, do you feed any alfalfa? Several years ago, an alfalfa grass mix was a hot ticket. Now straight grass is easy to sell and alfalfa takes a bit of work.

tmschuller

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    Grant county
    TM, as a horse owner, do you feed any alfalfa? Several years ago, an alfalfa grass mix was a hot ticket. Now straight grass is easy to sell and alfalfa takes a bit of work.

If we have it I feed it more in cold weather. Hard to keep weight on some of my older mares ( pushing 30 years old). It’s not straight alfalfa, I’m told it’s hard on some horses so I get a 40% alfalfa to 60% grass mix off a guy or if do have straight alfalfa I mix it with the grass. I mix alfalfa pellets with the horse feed i buy to help. It works! Had 4 horses very sick 2 years ago with EPM ( parasite that’s carried by coons and opossums that will kill them eventually but causes muscular damage at the cellular level).
    I try to feed the best hay I can buy but it’s all out my own pocket.. we have 8 horses and use most of them with the camps and counselors that come. So all 8 are used. Have 2 that I’m looking for a awesome home for.

Top Bottom