• ...and so much more!
  • cmann250

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jan 2, 2018
    Land of 300bu corn
    951d43f2ae13413d5457ade31cfe8a64.jpg

I’m usually on the baler tractor and not the loader tractor, so this is about all I have.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tmschuller

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    Grant county
    My second cutting is looking promising! Trying to find some to do square bales or do rounds and sell them. Still a couple weeks out. This rain we had a few days ago really helped.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Know nothing about this at all, but just for understanding, what is the approximate monetary value to a square bale and one of the big rounds?

Just trying to understand the economics involved.

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    When I go up through the mowing field,
    The headless aftermath,
    Smooth-laid like thatch with the heavy dew,
    Half closes the garden path.

And when I come to the garden ground,
    The whir of sober birds
    Up from the tangle of withered weeds
    Is sadder than any words

A tree beside the wall stands bare,
    But a leaf that lingered brown,
    Disturbed, I doubt not, by my thought,
    Comes softly rattling down.

I end not far from my going forth
    By picking the faded blue
    Of the last remaining aster flower
    To carry again to you.

-Frost

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    We pay 3.50-4.50 for square depending on which cutting, if we pick it up out if the field. Our guy uses a grapple so we get the furthest bales. He charged us $50 for a large round bale. I’ve got a lot of land but it is all timber and the couple of open acres we have is pasture.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Same here. I remember the struggle to toss a square onto the wagon (yes, I started that early). Then up into the loft to unload, hot and dusty!

Am I crazy that I've been talking to the OG about going all Green Acres on her, quitting the city life and starting a haying business that caters directly to the horse people???

I grew up ag and that included working in the hay fields and barns. You and OG are tough people, but I wouldn't try it at 65 where I am. Best of luck though.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    We pay 3.50-4.50 for square depending on which cutting, if we pick it up out if the field. Our guy uses a grapple so we get the furthest bales. He charged us $50 for a large round bale. I’ve got a lot of land but it is all timber and the couple of open acres we have is pasture.

Fortunately I have no critters to take care of, I had all the animal husbandry burned out of me growing up. Hunting and gathering is what I do now.

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    77   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    I grew up ag and that included working in the hay fields and barns. You and OG are tough people, but I wouldn't try it at 65 where I am. Best of luck though.
    You are right Leadeye as I am at 58. So unless I win the lottery, it's all a pipe dream.

But if I did.... I would do the small bales to an accumulator that sets them in a group that can be picked up by a hay grapple and set on a hay wagon and taken to a shed to be unloaded by another grapple. I never have to leave the seat! Like noted above.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    For me as a young man hay season was pick up the bale and toss on a wagon, then take the wagon back to a barn and toss into a loft, then stack. It's amazing to me today that at the end of all that I still had the energy to get cleaned up and go into town for a night of fun. Then start all over again the next day.

To be young and foolish again. ;)

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    You are right Leadeye as I am at 58. So unless I win the lottery, it's all a pipe dream.

But if I did.... I would do the small bales to an accumulator that sets them in a group that can be picked up by a hay grapple and set on a hay wagon and taken to a shed to be unloaded by another grapple. I never have to leave the seat! Like noted above.

You guys do a good job with the firewood.

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    77   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    For me as a young man hay season was pick up the bale and toss on a wagon, then take the wagon back to a barn and toss into a loft, then stack. It's amazing to me today that at the end of all that I still had the energy to get cleaned up and go into town for a night of fun. Then start all over again the next day.

To be young and foolish again. ;)
    So in the modern days, friends would commend you on getting your steps in. ;););)

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spencerab23
    Top Bottom