• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Magyars

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Mar 6, 2010
    Delaware County Freehold
    Question for those with the knowledge....

I've got approximately three acres that I had cut & baled this year. It's grass hay and the horses seem ok with it for the most part but I know it doesn't offer the level of nutrition we need to carry our small herd of four in the winter months. I would like to plant something that will offer a higher quality product and my neighbor has offered to allow me to plant a couple acres of his as well. I've got a lot of milkweed that I need to kill off but I think I'm going to kill it all off before tilling it up.

My big question is, what should I plant? There are a couple of large alfalfa fields close by which seem to do extremely well but my daughter (the family horse expert) doesn't want straight alfalfa. I've got a 5' tiller for my tractor, a 6' wide 1400# (full) roller and a bush hog so I won't be able to cut, rake & bale it myself and will have to depend on a local guy to do it for me unfortunately.

My secondary question is, with the cost of the equipment, how much hay must someone plant to make buying the equipment worth it? Even looking at used equip that my little 26hp tractor could pull it seems like the equipment would be long since worn out before I even came close to the ground paying for it.
    Did you get seed? What kind?

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I haven’t yet. I’m leaning pretty heavily toward an orchard grass & alfalfa mix. A neighbor uses it and it seems to do really well so I’m hoping it will for us as well.

Cut early if you have alfalfa in your mix, weevils will eat it up if left too long. This applies to first cutting.

tmschuller

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    Grant county
    I just turned the horses (8) out on our hay field... couldn’t get anyone here to bale or the weather would not cooperate. Pretty bummed but it is what it is. Have to buy some more now but at least it’s a good year for hay.

Top Bottom