Have/Had lifetime permit, now I moved...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • narly charley

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 15, 2011
    I moved to Illinois a few years ago, but still have a lifetime permit from when I was living with my parents.

I know that it says you have 60 days to notify them of the new address. Did I lose everything about my permit when moving out of state? Just curious.

Thanks!

possum_128

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Martinsville area
    When one moves to Illinois you lose everything. To answer your question, yes you must notify them of your move and your license is no longer good until you return to live in the free state of Indiana. If and when that happens contact the State Police and advise them that you are back living in Indiana and your license will once again be good.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    When one moves to Illinois you lose everything. To answer your question, yes you must notify them of your move and your license is no longer good until you return to live in the free state of Indiana. If and when that happens contact the State Police and advise them that you are back living in Indiana and your license will once again be good.

Do you have a cite for the part that his license is no good until he moves back to IN? My understanding is notify them of your new address in a new state and the license is still valid. Although it wouldn't be in IL, it would be in IN and quite a few other states. Only a few states like FL that honor the LTCH require a resident license.

narly charley

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 15, 2011
    Thanks guys. If your facts are true, that's cool that it can still be valid. I'll contact the state and see what happens.

Any more info would be helpful, if you find anything out.

Thanks!

narly charley

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 15, 2011
    Here was the response I got from the Indiana State Police. FYI.

"You will need to update the address on your handgun carry permit by going to the following site:
    https://firearms.ariesportal.com/

However, Illinois does not recognize Indiana’s handgun carry permit. Basically they recognize their own and that is it.

Indiana State Police"

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Do you have a cite for the part that his license is no good until he moves back to IN? My understanding is notify them of your new address in a new state and the license is still valid. Although it wouldn't be in IL, it would be in IN and quite a few other states. Only a few states like FL that honor the LTCH require a resident license.

IANAL but I dont buy it. How can a "resident license" that is only valid for residents of the state of IN be valid when your primary residence changes to a non-Indiana address?

The only exception I can see looking at the law real quick is if you live in another state but still work here "...and has a regular place of business or employment in Indiana..." (IC 35-47-2-3 Sec 3-a-3)

So if I read that right, unless OP still works at a facility here in Indiana, it is no longer valid. However if he returns (or starts working again here) its active as long as that criteria is met. So if OP moved from Terre Haute to Marshall, IL but kept his job here, Once ISP was notified of the corrected address he was kosher. IF he moved to Marshall for a new job there, its not. But if OP moves back, he does NOT have to reapply for a new LTCH; Once ISP is notified of the new Indiana address (or new Indiana employer) it is active again.

possum_128

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Martinsville area
    IANAL but I dont buy it. How can a "resident license" that is only valid for residents of the state of IN be valid when your primary residence changes to a non-Indiana address?

The only exception I can see looking at the law real quick is if you live in another state but still work here "...and has a regular place of business or employment in Indiana..." (IC 35-47-2-3 Sec 3-a-3)

So if I read that right, unless OP still works at a facility here in Indiana, it is no longer valid. However if he returns (or starts working again here) its active as long as that criteria is

met. So if OP moved from Terre Haute to Marshall, IL but kept his job here, Once ISP was notified of the corrected address he was kosher. IF he moved to Marshall for a new job there, its not. But if OP moves back, he does NOT have to reapply for a new LTCH; Once ISP is notified of the new Indiana address (or new Indiana employer) it is active again.

This! Please show me where it is stated that a ltch, lifetime or not is still valid anywhere when you are no longer a resident of Indiana, except as stated about working in Indiana.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009

So if I read that right, unless OP still works at a facility here in Indiana, it is no longer valid. However if he returns (or starts working again here) its active as long as that criteria is met. So if OP moved from Terre Haute to Marshall, IL but kept his job here, Once ISP was notified of the corrected address he was kosher. IF he moved to Marshall for a new job there, its not. But if OP moves back, he does NOT have to reapply for a new LTCH; Once ISP is notified of the new Indiana address (or new Indiana employer) it is active again.

That is for issuing licenses, not for keeping them. If a person that lives outside IN but work here gets a 4 yr and quits the next month, does that license become invalid?

This! Please show me where it is stated that a ltch, lifetime or not is still valid anywhere when you are no longer a resident of Indiana, except as stated about working in Indiana.

Can you show me anywhere in the IC that it is not? Although one of the members here emailed ISP and received the response that you have to update the address and it still remains valid. See post 30.
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...se/321226-lifetime-ltch-moving-out-state.html

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    Here was the response I got from the Indiana State Police. FYI.

"You will need to update the address on your handgun carry permit by going to the following site:
    https://firearms.ariesportal.com/

However, Illinois does not recognize Indiana’s handgun carry permit. Basically they recognize their own and that is it.

Indiana State Police"

Yep your IN LTCH will only be valid in states that recognize the IN LTCH and does not require the person to be a resident of the issuing state.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars

The criteria for revoking a LTCH are clearly written and "moving out of state" is not one of them. Show me where moving out of state means someone is either dead or no longer a "proper person". I know people with current and valid Indiana LTCH with their out of state address printed right on the license. You have to be a resident to be issued a lifetime LTCH, not to keep it.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    The criteria for revoking a LTCH are clearly written and "moving out of state" is not one of them. Show me where moving out of state means someone is either dead or no longer a "proper person". I know people with current and valid Indiana LTCH with their out of state address printed right on the license. You have to be a resident to be issued a lifetime LTCH, not to keep it.

That just doesnt make sense. So I move here for 6 months, get my lifetime, and move back to say, Ohio, I get to keep it? That cant be intentional.

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    That just doesnt make sense. So I move here for 6 months, get my lifetime, and move back to say, Ohio, I get to keep it? That cant be intentional.

Legislators rarely put much thought into the real details or unintended consequences of their bills. Occasionally, their lack of foresight is our gain.

possum_128

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Martinsville area
    The simple fact that Indiana does not issue ltch to non residents except in cases of working in this state or by being a resident in itself should explain why it would no longer valid if the holder moves his residence to another state should be enough. It becomes valid again once they have a residence back in this state. As far as other state's honoring a Indiana lifetime license belonging to a person who is not a resident of Indiana remains to be seen. I am sure that would be on a state by state base.
    If I am wrong then would someone link the IC that's shows me I am wrong.

I never stated that it would be revoked by moving out of state, just not valid while not a Indiana resident.

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    The simple fact that Indiana does not issue ltch to non residents except in cases of working in this state or by being a resident in itself should explain why it would no longer valid if the holder moves his residence to another state should be enough. It becomes valid again once they have a residence back in this state. As far as other state's honoring a Indiana lifetime license belonging to a person who is not a resident of Indiana remains to be seen. I am sure that would be on a state by state base.

You are attempting to imply that an initial application requirement somehow becomes a disqualifying factor after issue. The IC does not support your opinion.

If it did, you would be able to cite it.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009

I never stated that it would be revoked by moving out of state, just not valid while not a Indiana resident.

There is nothing in the IC about "inactivating" or "putting on hold" a LTCH, just revocation and suspension.

No I can not. Can you cite the IC that doesn't?

I can't cite something that's not there. I can cite the criteria for revocation/suspension though.

possum_128

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Martinsville area
    There is nothing in the IC about "inactivating" or "putting on hold" a LTCH, just revocation and suspension.

I can't cite something that's not there. I can cite the criteria for revocation/suspension though.

I fired off an e-mail to state police with the question. Will update when I get a response. Either way maybe we will all know which is correct. This is what I love about this place great learning and debate.

Top Bottom