Have any of you started stocking up on stuff for the up comming election?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    I keep a good stock of powder, primers, brass, and lead on hand. I have many thousands of lead cast bullets on hand that cost me 2.57 cents a piece (180gr .357 and .40 bullets). None of these market fluctuations have caught me paying out the nose for anything. I just stayed away from it all and laughed at the complaining from those who can't think out past their nose.

Oh heck, I have a few cases of lead ingots and bullet molds as well. They also make good balls for the ball mill when chemically appropriate.

gunsisgood

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 19, 2010
    Maine
    I got a shotgun a rifle and a 4 wheel drive.
    Anything more than that will get you put on the LIST of potential terrorists.:):

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    I got a shotgun a rifle and a 4 wheel drive.
    Anything more than that will get you put on the LIST of potential terrorists.:):

Is that a pump shotgun or a fine over/under Fudd skeet shooting firearm? Does your rifle have a scope or detachable magazine, or is it [shudder] semiauto? Boy, they have a whole file on you already. Sleep lightly so you can answer that knock in the middle of the night, they don't have time to waste rousting you out of bed.

gundoc111

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 24, 2014
    Indy
    I have 2 handguns and 1 lever action in .357. I also have a 'few' UZI's in 9mm and two CZ's in same caliber. Two .22 handguns, and 3 .22 long guns. Ammo, at the rate I shoot, 3 times a week 125-150 rounds, I am good to go for the next 7-8 years.

I saw this coming with Bill Clinton and started doing something EVERY week. It's not IF it is WHEN.

Bobby

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 14, 2008
    Muncie/New Castle
    Inventories were crushed between Black Friday and Christmas. Combine this with the San Bernardino terrorist attack and fear over "Obama's gun control executive orders" and you have a small to moderate panic buying frenzy when sales are already high due to the holidays.

Another month or two and this should pass; it is almost a certainty that manufacturers are increasing orders and inventories going into the 2016 General election - there will be buying leading up to it and arguably, regardless of outcome, buying following it.

To answer the base question...no. After the Great Shortages of 2013 I decided I would never be without a reasonable supply of "stuff" again and have been steadily buying as availability and funds have allowed.

While I mostly agree with the above quote, I would like to add my thoughts. I agree that we are in the midst of a mild buying frenzying driven by all the gun control rethoric the last couple of months. And, yes, I do think that things will settle down SLIGHTLY over the next month or two.

However, for those that do need to purchase things on their lists, I would encourage you to do it sooner than later. I personally like to read news reports on gun sales since they let me get a "feel" for what the overall market is doing. Ever since May of 2015, background checks have been setting monthly records. While some of those are undoubtedly applications for handgun licenses, I am sure there are a lot of first time firearm owners mixed there. With gun control poised to become a major issue this election season, I don't think this trend will slow anytime soon.

The attitudes of the general public seem to be different this time around too. Just the other day, I was in my local Walmart and overheard two couples on two different occasions tell the other couple that they needed to look into purchasing their first firearm. The first time the reason given was protection in case of a home invasion and the other was if a Ferguson-style riot ever took place in Muncie.

Manufacturers are ramping up production to meet demand but there are going to be limits. With veteran gun owners getting while the getting is good combined with all the new firearm owners joining the ranks, I do think higher prices if not outright shortages on various items are ahead. How severe the shortages are going to be will depend on those of us in the know stocking up now, how many new or fairly new firearm owners join our ranks, manufacturers production capacity, and who wins the election in November. If Bernie Sanders gets the independent/Democratic voters all fired up to vote for him, Republicans may lose not only the White House but also both houses of Congress. Demand for 2nd Amendment-related stuff is going to go CRAZY then! If the Republican nominee wins the White House, I think that things will start to settle down after the election.

In other words, don't panic buy but definitely start purchasing the items on your wish list. The sooner the better! :)

Last edited:

mrortega

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    Just west of Evansville
    I bought a box of .257 Roberts ammo last week during my panic buying spree. The store still had 5 boxes on the shelf. So I can still get more if I need it.

I'm not really sure why election day has any significance? If this country honestly elects a candidate I don't like, well then, so be it..
    That is part of being part of a democratic republic. I don't fret over it..
    Because if the wrong person/party gets in and bans on sales ensue most if not all laws will "grandfather" in things already in possession. 10 round limit on magazines? If you already own higher capacity you most likely will be able to keep them but not be able to buy more. Bans on "assault" rifles? Same thing. You'll keep yours but not be able to buy another one. Get it?

HKUSP

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Danville, IN
    I stocked up for the Y2K panic. Ever since that big 'ol let down I just buy to replenish what gets used at the range or to feed a new toy. My long gun collection hasn't changed much in the past 10+ years because I got what I wanted, and it works for me. Handguns... well that collection does fluctuate depending on what I come across and if it's interesting to me.

I have no illusions about standing on top of a pile of rubble surveying my domain towards the end of some huge crisis. I have enough stuff to have some fun on the way out, and hopefully be spared the indignity of starving around a campfire telling children about how things used to be. I do, however, take great comfort in the fact that every prediction of the end of the world has been wrong so far. The end of the country? Well... other countries have had their ups and downs. So will we. Considering how the last 15 years have been mostly down I do look forward with a bit of optimism.

It's like I told a stripper in Quebec once, "Je suis ici pour le bier".

Chris

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    Because if the wrong person/party gets in and bans on sales ensue most if not all laws will "grandfather" in things already in possession. 10 round limit on magazines? If you already own higher capacity you most likely will be able to keep them but not be able to buy more. Bans on "assault" rifles? Same thing. You'll keep yours but not be able to buy another one. Get it?

Oh yeah, I get it. I just refuse to participate in panic buying as a result of a national election. I lived quite well through the dreaded 1994 to 2004 assault weapon ban and I don't intend for my life to change with any fanciful future bans. I was easily able to obtain anything I wanted during this time. Not on any black market either. There is just too much stuff out there that is totally out of their control. Heck, I could make a reasonable standard capacity magazine in my basement in a week or less.......With a hammer and a file. If I had to. Or just go to a local heating guy that can bend metal.....

If you really believe that any arbitrary ban on things will really effect the millions of households with 10's of millions of guns and 100's of million magazines and billions of rounds of ammunition can be meaningful, well so be it. I just intend to live my life. I pay very little attention to the 560 or so people and their thousands of minions who presume to be in control of my life.

Take a step back and just think about it sir. It is actually a very calming perspective on American life. I think.

Last edited:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Oh yeah, I get it. I just refuse to participate in panic buying as a result of a national election. I lived quite well through the dreaded 1994 to 2004 assault weapon ban and I don't intend for my life to change with any fanciful future bans. I was easily able to obtain anything I wanted during this time. Not on any black market either. There is just too much stuff out there that is totally out of their control. Heck, I could make a reasonable standard capacity magazine in my basement in a week or less.......With a hammer and a file. If I had to. Or just go to a local heating guy that can bend metal.....

If you really believe that any arbitrary ban on things will really effect the millions of households with 10's of millions of guns and 100's of million magazines and billions of rounds of ammunition can be meaningful, well so be it. I just intend to live my life. I pay very little attention to the 560 or so people and their thousands of minions who presume to be in control of my life.

Take a step back and just think about it sir. It is actually a very calming perspective on American life. I think.

I am a heating guy that can bend metal and an accomplished fabricator.
    I would like to see what you come up with in a basement with a hammer and a file.
    I hope your way of doing things works out for you.
    Rome may burn soon enough. Tune up that fiddle OK......:)

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    I am a heating guy that can bend metal and an accomplished fabricator.
    I would like to see what you come up with in a basement with a hammer and a file.
    I hope your way of doing things works out for you.
    Rome may burn soon enough. Tune up that fiddle OK......:)

I have plenty of stuff set aside sir. Lots of stuff still new in plastic bags. Slowly accumulated over many years. This whole panic buying at some premium price is totally unnecessary. IMO.

But if it gets down to nothing, If they find a way to really take everything out of my home, there is plenty of cottage industries to make stuff. There is no way for them to ban or prohibit anything. If you settle back and think about it, you know I'm right.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    It's more a matter of looking forward, seeing what is likely, and preparing to your own satisfaction. To do so calmly and rationally, while it's cheap and easy, and avoiding panic. One of the things you have to take into account is the second-order effect of others panicking. If you are satisfied that you have your ducks in a row, congratulations, you're way ahead of most people.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    IF it comes to the point of the Govt being able to begin confiscation then what's to stop them from taking your dwellings, property, or anything you own?
    Part of my readiness has been preparing my property for dire times as well.

mistersmith

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2016
    NWI
    Not really into the end of the world stuff. I have a small amount of 9mm and .357magnum and I don't own a modern rifle. I have a 50 cal bp rifle. If the end is near I am screwed. If it is 10 years away I got time to stock up. Hope my way of thinking works for me, time will tell.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I have plenty of stuff set aside sir. Lots of stuff still new in plastic bags. Slowly accumulated over many years. This whole panic buying at some premium price is totally unnecessary. IMO.

But if it gets down to nothing, If they find a way to really take everything out of my home, there is plenty of cottage industries to make stuff. There is no way for them to ban or prohibit anything. If you settle back and think about it, you know I'm right.

Oh I do know this in my heart and mind. Will and a way.
    My comment/question was trying to figure out the stone knives and axes approach to basement Mag building.
    I get a pretty funny series of pics in my mind and some have cuts/bruises and some blood in them. No knock just a realty.

I am well enough myself. I do not fear as much as some and more than others.
    Shortages can be avoided. Stay on top of the game. Buying ammo as you want to shoot it is not the way.
    Panics are set off by those who are short sited in these matters.

Top Bottom