• ...and so much more!
  • indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    77   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    I have watched wranglerstar on occasion for the better part of 6 years. I like to repair things rather than throw them away(shovel for example),and wranglerstar has become a part of that. I find his channel and him easy to follow with duplicatable results.
    I have watched him for about a year. When we cut our cable service down to internet only, my time on YouTube increased significantly.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I've not seen these videos but am curious if any of them discuss woods hazards like ticks. Every year I hear of the misery of those unaware of seed tick season.

4651feeder

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 21, 2016
    East of NWI
    Have been watching this along with his cousin neighbor (the wife) Busted Wagon Ranch, both do a decent job of video editing while truly living off grid. Reading elsewhere in this thread that true off gridders don't have time for video editing made me laugh. Both of these channels along with Wild Wonderful OFF-Grid and Good Simple Living have learned to "exploit" Youtube's revenue stream to further their lifestyle. Probably should have linked to Wild Wonderful OFF-Grid as that's the bestest of these four examples.

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    77   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    Have been watching this along with his cousin neighbor (the wife) Busted Wagon Ranch, both do a decent job of video editing while truly living off grid. Reading elsewhere in this thread that true off gridders don't have time for video editing made me laugh. Both of these channels along with Wild Wonderful OFF-Grid and Good Simple Living have learned to "exploit" Youtube's revenue stream to further their lifestyle. Probably should have linked to Wild Wonderful OFF-Grid as that's the bestest of these four examples.

We follow RPR. Heath is why I took the dive into Lithium Iron Phosphate batteries.

4651feeder

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 21, 2016
    East of NWI
    We follow RPR. Heath is why I took the dive into Lithium Iron Phosphate batteries.
    Sometimes it's just as painful for me to watch him as it appears it is for him to present in front of the camera. His electric power adventure has been a slow and curvy process to say the least.

Due to his electrician background, Wild Wonderful OFF-Grid's path to electric power has been on track from the start.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    "Off-grid" has several different meanings. For some it's simply that they are not tied to the electrical system. For some meanings it is no ties to anything wired or cabled that comes in. For some it means that no one knows you exist. Like many things, there is no "pure" definition.

Some have an "off-grid capability", meaning they are connected to the city system (water, electricity, internet) but have the capacity to still function when those fail with backup systems in place.

A lot of government buildings, hospitals etc ... are like that.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Heh, a lot of vids its hard for me to watch the subject. They just rub me wrong.

If they seem out of place or over their head or just suck in their delivery some way, I have to go elsewhere.

Even some folks with solid knowledge to pass along are just hard to watch for me. Wanglestar and Nutinfancy are couple that I have to make myself bull through a relevant video, because I will skip over them. Just don't care for their mannerism or something.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I'd love to build a modest self-sufficient home once I win the lottery.

Off grid, though? I enjoy my Internet access too much for that.
    I'm just 6 numbers away!
    It's good to see more options for Internet come our way out in the sticks.

I have forgone REMC's (fiber?) for keeping the xfinity cable Internet at half the price.

Recently though, I discovered my AT&T cellular data streams at better than twice the speed of the xfinty cable WIFI. And that's not yet even 5G.

kickbacked

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    Thank you. I have had YouTube suggest two of those to me, based on my viewing. Along with the silly, scantily clad, lil red hiedi hood. :n00b:

A really appreciate attractive talented women and am happy to promote and share their vids with others. Women that can really shoot or really fish or really homestead, I'm all about them.

I don't care at all for hot models posing with guns or fishing gear or other stuff males are typically interested in to promote things they have never done or don't do.

For the same reason, I don't go to the "women with..." threads on INGO. I don't think they belong on a gun owners forum. It demeans us and promotes an impression gun owners care more about boobs than women that actually have skills.

Plenty of other places on the web to look at hot chicks, boobies and a whole lot more. :twocents:

Thanks for the lesson! I'll look into this you tube that you speak of. ;)
    i watched one of the lil red hiedi hood videos after you mentioned it. I dont know if i got a bad video or what, but it was painful to watch her split wood. The hand eye coordination or something was way off, looked like a t baller taking hacks.

OkieGirl

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2012
    iti anunka (In the trees)
    I've not seen these videos but am curious if any of them discuss woods hazards like ticks. Every year I hear of the misery of those unaware of seed tick season.
    Hum, good question. We've not run across seed ticks yet but have had plenty of run ins with various sized adults. We have a neighbor who shared his remedy with us and it's pretty effective. He takes a small plastic ring around where the tick has latched on, puts Palmolive Dish Soap where it covers and smothers the tick and lets it soak for 20 minutes. Then takes a Q-tip and spins that bad boy counterclockwise until it lets go. We've repeated the process enough times to know it's pretty darn effective. I had a coworker who contracted Lyme Disease a few years back after a family vacation in the mountains. That stuff is no joke, she was in the hospital for a week while they tried to decide if it was Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever or Lyme Disease or something else.

I've got us registered with a Wildlife Rehabilitator to take wild animals they are releasing back into the wild. They can keep the racoons but I'll gladly take all the bats and possums they want to feed our bugs to.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Hum, good question. We've not run across seed ticks yet but have had plenty of run ins with various sized adults. We have a neighbor who shared his remedy with us and it's pretty effective. He takes a small plastic ring around where the tick has latched on, puts Palmolive Dish Soap where it covers and smothers the tick and lets it soak for 20 minutes. Then takes a Q-tip and spins that bad boy counterclockwise until it lets go. We've repeated the process enough times to know it's pretty darn effective. I had a coworker who contracted Lyme Disease a few years back after a family vacation in the mountains. That stuff is no joke, she was in the hospital for a week while they tried to decide if it was Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever or Lyme Disease or something else.

I've got us registered with a Wildlife Rehabilitator to take wild animals they are releasing back into the wild. They can keep the racoons but I'll gladly take all the bats and possums they want to feed our bugs to.
    You will know it when you encounter seed ticks, they are the larval stage of the Lone Star Tick and never bite alone. A few if you are lucky, but I've seen squirrel hunter with bites numbering in the hundreds. Stealthy, they are about the size of a pepper grain.

Attachments

• seedtickbites.jpg
      seedtickbites.jpg
      88.2 KB · Views: 2
    Last edited:

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    77   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    She's tough running a splitter, I would bet you are proud of her.
    A couple of seasons ago I showed her how to operate it and she took off from there! She has since taken it over and does all the spitting, all I have to do is supply rounds (and if I'm off in the woods and she's out, she'll take her saw out and cut her own). We have been extremely fortunate with that splitter. It's a Menards brand that they do not sell any more and every person I've told that to have informed me of what junk they are. But it has given us no problems in 3 years of use, has no leaks, and most importantly she can cold start it on her own every time.

Yeah, I'm very proud.

And she's better with a pistol than I am. Have to keep that in mind.

kickbacked

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    Ive noticed an absolute explosion of ticks in my area. I used to walk through the woods barefoot, in a teeshirt and shorts as a kid and never got a tick. Now i go in the woods and its not if, its how many. The dog is absolutely covered in them and with his black fur they are tough to see.

Top Bottom