Has anyone here drilled their ak receiver for optics mounting?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • xxxleafybugxxx1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 1, 2021
    Indiana
    I have a Polish Tantal which has no side rail. There is a left side safety switch. I've debated getting a Tantal friendly side rail, but that would still require drilling into the receiver. I've never done this, and I'm always a little nervous regarding irreversible changes to my firearms...(this is all hypothetical, as I've gotten rid of all my guns)

2A-Hoosier23

ammo fiend
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 16, 2018
    Lawrence
    hmmm... maybe a railed dust cover like a TWS dog leg?

The issue with an Ultimak or other type of handguard rail is that they wont get you the correct eye relief with that optic, right? If so, a railed dust cover could solve that issue.

Last edited:

duffman0286

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Wayne Co
    Yes the tantal has a unqiue mount and there are several versions of it but they will all work with your build.... but there available but you might have to post a WTB add on a forum like akfiles .... but with that said ive mounted several optic rails... and even one on my tantal... For the tantal they should all be bolt on, but real ones will have locking pins on the screw to prevent them from loosening. Ak-builder makes a nice copy of the rail if you wanting a good affordable rail that reasonable close to the original and there not terrible to install (one of the easier types of rails to install actually)

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    GetLow16
    Top Bottom