• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jamil

code ho
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Those old war horses take up a lot of room! :): And I think the people that determine a safe's capacity are the same ones that determine a tent's sleeping capacity. If a safe is supposed to hold 28 guns, it might hold 14. If a tent is supposed to accommodate 4 people, it might accommodate 2.

Idunno. If it's like tents' sleeping capacity, maybe safes shrink too? I have a really nice Walrus 2-person tent that I've had for probably 25-30 years. It easily fit my wife and I back then. It was a great backpacking tent. Packed small. Lightweight. Roomy. Durable. Loved it. We haven't used it in years. We got it out the other day to see what shape it was in. No way we're both fitting into that thing side-by-side. It HAD to have shrunk. It's the only explanation!

MinuteManMike

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 28, 2008
    Lawrence, IN
    Mine will make you fearful of getting out of the truck if I tell them to. :nono:
    Did yours get specialized training? I think I want a dog that will obey verbal commands off of the leash. Leashes make for (what I find, not being experienced) weird behaviors with some dogs.

Mij

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    Did yours get specialized training? I think I want a dog that will obey verbal commands off of the leash. Leashes make for (what I find, not being experienced) weird behaviors with some dogs.
    Yep, from me. Been raising GSD’s for ~15 yrs. Started with Germ. Chek. Import stud. And 2nd. Gen. Germ. Dam. 4. yrs ago bought a Germ. Chek. Import Dam. Kept a stud from my first pair. We own 3.

All good dog training starts on leash. GSD is in my opinion the smartest dog there is. JMO. But I’m biased.

If you do get a GSD DO NOT get one from one of these guy’s that sells no paper 4 or 5 hundred dollar dogs. Without pedigree you will be ahead if you get a rescue animal. PM for more answers. We do not sell animals to people we don’t know well. We don’t sell animals with breeding rites to anybody. I’ve got a wait list now.

There are two kinds of GSD, working and show. If you are lucky you can expect 40% working quality pups per litter. (If you start with working line stock.)The rest should be neutered or spade and sold as pets. You can’t make a working dog from show stock.

Expect a good dog to cost about 3 to 5 thousand dollars as a pup. (born in the U.S). Expect to spend at least 1 thousand dollars a year per animal on a vet. Make sure they have hips and elbow’s certified through OFA. Good Luck, if you get a good GSD you will not be disappointed. TIP: These guys can speak English as good as you.

JTClark

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 28, 2022
    America
    You can start with the safe you can afford. When you can afford more, bigger, or better just set them side by side or back to back and bolt or weld them together. Making the whole thing harder to manage for thieves. Always bolt it to the floor if you can and up against a wall or something blocking the access to pry the door open.

dlandersson

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 20, 2019
    Hammond
    Got burglarized today. Ghetto of Lawrence, NE Indy. Near 46th and Shadeland.

Two black dudes broke in the back door. Neighbor's video camera picked them up walking up the street in masks, went straight into my back yard and kicked in my admittedly pathetic back door. Stole my stuff and brazen walked down the street holding it all - incl. 2 ARs! - in their hands in broad 445pm daylight. Nice.

I've been meaning to harden that damned door for years and never did. Now I'm out six great firearms and my Nintendo Switch, at the very least. Still stunned, really and trying to assess things. I feeli gross and violated. Had dry heaves a bunch. Now I've barricaded the door, hoping they come back so I can use the guns they missed.

Also drinking too much and don't know how I'm going to sleep to get up for work in five hours.

The way they came up the street and went in my house, I find that weird. Like it wasn't random. I hate thinking this way, but the only person I don't trust that knew I had guns was the next door neighbor. I'm always careful about checking out the outside for watchers when I load and unload for range trips.

Damned planet. People suck.
    I am sorry that this happened to you. Hasn't happened to me - yet. Some interesting studies show that having a medium-sized dog (or motion sensor that growls and barks), plus decent looking doors can help. I went the extra mile (only $40) and put wire-free camera;s around my house. We've come a long way from my childhood when you could leave your doors unlocked. :(

Joniki

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NE Indiana
    Yep, from me. Been raising GSD’s for ~15 yrs. Started with Germ. Chek. Import stud. And 2nd. Gen. Germ. Dam. 4. yrs ago bought a Germ. Chek. Import Dam. Kept a stud from my first pair. We own 3.

All good dog training starts on leash. GSD is in my opinion the smartest dog there is. JMO. But I’m biased.

If you do get a GSD DO NOT get one from one of these guy’s that sells no paper 4 or 5 hundred dollar dogs. Without pedigree you will be ahead if you get a rescue animal. PM for more answers. We do not sell animals to people we don’t know well. We don’t sell animals with breeding rites to anybody. I’ve got a wait list now.

There are two kinds of GSD, working and show. If you are lucky you can expect 40% working quality pups per litter. (If you start with working line stock.)The rest should be neutered or spade and sold as pets. You can’t make a working dog from show stock.

Expect a good dog to cost about 3 to 5 thousand dollars as a pup. (born in the U.S). Expect to spend at least 1 thousand dollars a year per animal on a vet. Make sure they have hips and elbow’s certified through OFA. Good Luck, if you get a good GSD you will not be disappointed. TIP: These guys can speak English as good as you.
    Sage advice. ^^^

The large female in the center of my pic up the thread came from a rescue. We agreed to foster her (she was less than a year old) and her 8 pups because they were near starving. At about ten weeks the rescue starting taking pups away a few at a time. By the times all of the pups were gone and momma had dried up I had become so attached to her it hurt to think of giving her up. She has turned out to be one of the smartest GSD's we've ever had.

Reactions: Mij

Mij

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    Don’t dislike or like but guy’s like that got no reason to live in the country. He doesn’t have a clue. Needs to move back to the city he is near. I stopped watching at 5:47 couldn’t stand anymore. Got dopers living in the woods and he doesn’t know about it!!! Give me a brake. Mr. tactical my ***.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    OK,.... so tell me, how's someone supposed to be "pre-aware" of meth-heads in the woods near his house?

If you live in the country, how would you not?

I used to go visit my dad, who lived in a small town. More than a few times I told him I seen people coming to the house. He'd always say, "No, this is town. They are just walking down the sidewalk. They are just walking down the alley. They are just walking through the corner of the yard."

Last edited:
    Reactions: Mij

Mij

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    OK,.... so tell me, how's someone supposed to be "pre-aware" of meth-heads in the woods near his house?
    I don’t know anything about “pre” but I do know I’m aware of every little thing be it man or beast that comes on or near my home property, give or take 300 acres, usually before it crosses one of my fences. And that’s 24 hrs. a day. Can also tell if it is human or an animal. For instance right now (this time of year) I know when and where the deer come through in morning and at night. I also can tell where and when the coyotes are running through from where and to where. Now on cash rent ground 5 miles away or further I don’t have a clue. But here around my home, I know. And there’s not a light anywhere, we live in total darkness outside.

Now to answer your question. If you don’t know when meth-heads or Santa himself is in the woods near your house, you need to go back to the city.

Sorry if my answer is or seems offensive I don’t mean it that way. Just the way it is. Hope you will not take offense.

Mij

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    If you live in the country, how would you not?

^^^^^^^
    Yep.

Well, or you could be a city boy that doesn’t have a clue, and sell things like “tactical skills“ on the internet. And live in the country where you know exactly nothing about living in the country.

MinuteManMike

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 28, 2008
    Lawrence, IN
    I don’t know anything about “pre” but I do know I’m aware of every little thing be it man or beast that comes on or near my home property, give or take 300 acres, usually before it crosses one of my fences. And that’s 24 hrs. a day. Can also tell if it is human or an animal. For instance right now (this time of year) I know when and where the deer come through in morning and at night. I also can tell where and when the coyotes are running through from where and to where. Now on cash rent ground 5 miles away or further I don’t have a clue. But here around my home, I know. And there’s not a light anywhere, we live in total darkness outside.

Now to answer your question. If you don’t know when meth-heads or Santa himself is in the woods near your house, you need to go back to the city.

Sorry if my answer is or seems offensive I don’t mean it that way. Just the way it is. Hope you will not take offense.
    I'm not taking offense. But I think that sounds like BS.

If someone new to the area decides your property looks good to move in on, I doubt you know about it until you come across that person. Probably less so if they're non-druggies with ill intent.

Top Bottom