• ...and so much more!
  • STEEL CORE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Fishers
    So sorry to hear of your loss brother.
    Been burglarized before too, and know how you feel.
    If they want to they will be back.
    Harden your home, but you will never again feel safe.
    We have a full security system, but that won’t stop the thieves from trying.

sharpetop

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008
    Got burglarized today. Ghetto of Lawrence, NE Indy. Near 46th and Shadeland.

Two black dudes broke in the back door. Neighbor's video camera picked them up walking up the street in masks, went straight into my back yard and kicked in my admittedly pathetic back door. Stole my stuff and brazen walked down the street holding it all - incl. 2 ARs! - in their hands in broad 445pm daylight. Nice.

I've been meaning to harden that damned door for years and never did. Now I'm out six great firearms and my Nintendo Switch, at the very least. Still stunned, really and trying to assess things. I feeli gross and violated. Had dry heaves a bunch. Now I've barricaded the door, hoping they come back so I can use the guns they missed.

Also drinking too much and don't know how I'm going to sleep to get up for work in five hours.

The way they came up the street and went in my house, I find that weird. Like it wasn't random. I hate thinking this way, but the only person I don't trust that knew I had guns was the next door neighbor. I'm always careful about checking out the outside for watchers when I load and unload for range trips.

Damned planet. People suck.
    Sounds to me like they knew what they wanted and knew how to get in! JMHO!

63PGP

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 28, 2018
    Boone
    Don't look past the delivery drivers being part of the setup for this if you ship parts and ammo to your house.

I no longer ship anything firearm related to my home address. I mainly use my office address. I have a login at UPS, FedEx and USPS so I can have the shipment held at a store or post office.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    For the price of a entry level AR $699 you can buy a tractor supply Winchester safe. I know, I know its not the best. But..if you bolt it down and add a very loud outside alarm the time it may take to get in it may not be worth the risk. They even have a delivery service that will get in inside for you. Of course that has its issues also. Simply safe is a great security service that doesn't require a monthly fee as well. It will even call 911. Not raging on ya. I feel bad for your loss. Just offering suggestions.
    I used to feel sorry for those that will spend thousands on firearms and accessories and blow off buying a vault.
    Its not that difficult to buy a new or used vault and install it correctly in ones home.

Lock your stuff up in a vault thats anchored to the floor. It will still be there when you come home.

I moved this 1,000 lb'er myself at 63, through a swing door, down a hallway right turn through another swing door to a corner of the shop with rollers, a johnson bar and a lil mule strap come-along.

20201103_121118.jpg

Long time reader here, a bunch here have forgotten the roasting one member here was given a few years ago when a locked and secured trailer was stolen.
    And his guns were under a few locks.

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 18, 2009
    SE Indy
    Just curious why you would wait until your house value plummets to sell it. I don't see a crash any time soon, but maybe a slow softening of the market due to rising interest rates. Demand is still outstripping supply, which is the reason for the current strong market. At any rate, houses in less desireable neighborhoods will be harder to sell and take the biggest hit when prices do start to fall.

Not saying that burglary can't happen anywhere, but there are certainly areas where it is rare and areas where it does happen on a more regular basis.
    We want to move to the country or better yet the woods somewhere. Our house has doubled in value. most of that in the last 3 years. Its not in a bad neighborhood but is a 10 minute drive to the bad neighborhood. Problem is that the property we would want has also doubled in value. Or at least priced out of reach. I totaly get what your saying but to sell a house you own and take on a mortgage is just hard to swallow. Not impossible just not pleasant. I envy (in a good way) the people that were fortunate to grow up and be established in those country communities from the start.
    Inside this city boy there's a country boy trying to get out....lol...

firecadet613

Master
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   1
    Dec 24, 2012
    We want to move to the country or better yet the woods somewhere. Our house has doubled in value. most of that in the last 3 years. Its not in a bad neighborhood but is a 10 minute drive to the bad neighborhood. Problem is that the property we would want has also doubled in value. Or at least priced out of reach. I totaly get what your saying but to sell a house you own and take on a mortgage is just hard to swallow. Not impossible just not pleasant. I envy (in a good way) the people that were fortunate to grow up and be established in those country communities from the start.
    Yep.... you'll only benefit from this market if you're downsizing...

MinuteManMike

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 28, 2008
    Lawrence, IN
    I'm probably not replacing my pistols or expanding my collection any more until I move, except maybe a hunting shotgun and another AR for training and classes. But regardless I am probably putting a gun safe behind that door because I never use it anyway. Trying to decide what size safe to get. I'll go check out Cabela's tomorrow since I'll be in the area anyway.

Neighbor's wife said she saw two punks being arrested down the street yesterday and one looked like the (REDACTED) on the video they gave me from their security camera. Hopefully they got them but I'm not holding my breath on getting the guns back.

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    I'm probably not replacing my pistols or expanding my collection any more until I move, except maybe a hunting shotgun and another AR for training and classes. But regardless I am probably putting a gun safe behind that door because I never use it anyway. Trying to decide what size safe to get. I'll go check out Cabela's tomorrow since I'll be in the area anyway.

Neighbor's wife said she saw two punks being arrested down the street yesterday and one looked like the (REDACTED) on the video they gave me from their security camera. Hopefully they got them but I'm not holding my breath on getting the guns back.
    pretty sure you guns have made it to Chiraq by now.

223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    200   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A
    Another vote for an alarm. You can get a simplisafe system easily. I dont like them, but they are better than nothing. And easy to set up.

Also on the insurance, if you are on State farm, its cheaper to do a separate jewelry and valuables standalone policy than adding a rider to homeowners. Plus the rider requires at LEAST an itemized list, if not photographs on file with them. The rider inventory can be reported to them after the fact at the time of loss.

EDIT Lowes Sells RING alarms. Simplisafe is direct from them only.
    I did talk to my Insurance agent years ago about a rider policy, and he did want an itemized list of my guns.
    I did not feel comfortable giving someone a list of what I had, as you never know who sees the list or who they talk to.

I bought the door devil frame reinforcements, they came with the 3 inch screws for the strike plate/s as well as hinge screws and pins for the hinge side. Got them years ago at a 1500.
    So kicking in my doors will be nearly impossible, but as others have mentioned, window can be broken, garage door openers defeated etc.

If they want in bad enough, they will find a way in.
    I do have a large safe bolted down, a closet door with a locking knob, yes I know they can past that, but it will slow them down.

I have been looking at camera systems myself, to add yet another layer of security.
    I have also been considering a fence for our back yard, basically anything that can make it more difficult and not "worth it" for someone.

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    We moved a year ago out and into the county and directly across the river from where dad's...where I grew up! The new house (built in 1977) has a finished room in the basement that now has a steel door and frame and inside are the two safes...even in a safer neighborhood, I have made it a point to protect assets and greatly diminish one's ability to walk-in / walk-out with a firearm! The old house...was wide open in many ways and had minimal ability to begin to defend it against burglery if someone was even moderately determined!

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    I did talk to my Insurance agent years ago about a rider policy, and he did want an itemized list of my guns. I did not feel comfortable giving someone a list of what I had, as you never know who sees the list or who they talk to.
    I bought the door devil frame reinforcements, they came with the 3 inch screws for the strike plate/s as well as hinge screws and pins for the hinge side. Got them years ago at a 1500.
    So kicking in my doors will be nearly impossible, but as others have mentioned, window can be broken, garage door openers defeated etc.
    I use Eastern Insurance and have a policy under their Historic Firearms Program...
    $50K worth of Insurance Coverage for $150 per year...annual payment.
    They do want a list of your stuff...but it's not under your homeowner's policy!

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana

Also take a trip to Tractor Supply and see whats available from them.
    Stores like Noblesville have a better selection in stock.
    Orders are swift, distribution is out of Pendelton.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    Space has always been an issue for us, so we had 3 smaller safes all were secured. We started with the steel locker cabinets, and I spent some time hardening them, so they were more work than time permitted to pry open. They were secured to the walls. StakOn products. When we stepped up to real safes, I found some that could be moved with a good 2 wheel cart and some effort. I bought them 1 at a time in an effort to limit my ability to have "TOO" many guns...:lmfao: but that just morphed into needing more safe's.

OP you can find some decent security in a size that works for you if you look. I think we are all on the same page here when we say secure them. Now we have more guns roaming the streets in the hands of Ferrell humans with no honor or conscience. (Sp) and shame on that LEO that does not secure his. Shame on him.
    I have a Milwaukee circular saw for steel.
    It will flat out walk across a 1/4" sheet of steel.
    Luckly crackheads arnt that smart.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    Like BBI says, the most anyone can hope to do is slow them down. Any one that has used a grinder with the right wheel, knows you can cut through most any steel out there. It just takes time.
    One will make short work of getting into a tool stock box. Sa.e witha saw-zaw.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    If you’re not too old for it to matter, and you want to move to the country, and not have a mortgage, sell your home and rent. wait out the current housing bubble. And if you’re not opposed to building, keep watch for good deals on land where you want to live.

While you’re renting, use part of the equity you cashed out to buy whatever good land deal you can find. Then start building. You might not have enough cash left from your previous home to finish the new home. Just contribute to the build as you can afford it.

If your standards aren’t high, you can build a “barndominium”. Basically a poll barn with finished living space under the roof. If you’re handy, you can do a lot of that work yourself and save on contractor costs.

It may take a few years before you’re living there. So for old people that might not be as feasible. And there’s a level of sacrifice too. But a few years is worth it if you have years left to enjoy it.

Top Bottom