• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    Make sure your homeowners-renters insurance covers the breed you want as some don't
    My vote will go for a less conventional breed provided you have the room for one. Great Pyrenees all the way. All you will need is a warning sign Guard Dog Do Not Approach and you are good to go.

While outwardly they appear to be large fur balls, which they kind of are to those they have bonded with. But let someone come In unannounced and Houston we have a problem.

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    Hide in plain sight. Hollowed out book, shelf that stores guns, secret compartment in a wall are all options to supplement a safe. Plus don’t broadcast what you have or how you keep them
    While not ideal a diversion safe can be a low budget alternative. As others have mentioned if you go that route discretion is a must.

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 18, 2009
    SE Indy
    For the price of a entry level AR $699 you can buy a tractor supply Winchester safe. I know, I know its not the best. But..if you bolt it down and add a very loud outside alarm the time it may take to get in it may not be worth the risk. They even have a delivery service that will get in inside for you. Of course that has its issues also. Simply safe is a great security service that doesn't require a monthly fee as well. It will even call 911. Not raging on ya. I feel bad for your loss. Just offering suggestions.

ed1838

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 20, 2022
    Seymour
    I have dogs that may or not may not do their job. With enough time and tools a thief can get what they want all we can do is make it a harder and take more time.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 3, 2008
    central indiana
    Masks covered their hair as the walked down the street. This was planned for sure.

But I am worried because I have a lot of guitar cases all over the house. I know from their departure video they didn't take any of those but that might be incentive for them to return with a big truck.

My home-owner insurance only goes up to $2500 on guns without a rider. I didn't know that and didn't think how fast my guns' value had added up.

Check with your agents, people.
    are you a nra member? if so they have 2k of coverage for free

Wstar425

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 20, 2018
    Sandia Park, New Mexico
    1D5C69D6-07E7-433E-8DF4-4311F1389CF5.jpeg
    Sorry to hear this, we were broken into 10 years ago. I came home for lunch, they went out front while I came in the back. We had an older GSD that wouldn’t hurt a flea, but may have also surprised them enough to leave in haste. Got a bunch of costume jewelry, my wife’s wedding ring that had a loose setting, a gallon jar of change, and ironically a Bible.

We had a good setup for a safe room in our new house, with two Murphy doors. I won’t post picture. Gun safe is inside bolted to the wall and the floor. As mentioned, nobody around here knows about it, except our two kids. I don’t believe you would find it at night in the dark with a flashlight. I proposed we not tell our daughter, who is anti gun, but wife did anyway. She said “I’m not sure whether to be impressed or scared to death!” Guns on wall on GallowTech system but go in the safe if gone overnight or longer. So, first they have to find the door, figure out how to get inside, then get into the safe, or remove it. All possible, but dificult. We have a firearm add on with Farmers Insurance for “firearms” which does not need individual guns listed.

Last edited:

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    And I was planning to move next year if the housing market crashes.
    Just curious why you would wait until your house value plummets to sell it. I don't see a crash any time soon, but maybe a slow softening of the market due to rising interest rates. Demand is still outstripping supply, which is the reason for the current strong market. At any rate, houses in less desireable neighborhoods will be harder to sell and take the biggest hit when prices do start to fall.

Not saying that burglary can't happen anywhere, but there are certainly areas where it is rare and areas where it does happen on a more regular basis.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Just curious why you would wait until your house value plummets to sell it. I don't see a crash any time soon, but maybe a slow softening of the market due to rising interest rates. Demand is still outstripping supply, which is the reason for the current strong market. At any rate, houses in less desireable neighborhoods will be harder to sell and take the biggest hit when prices do start to fall.

Not saying that burglary can't happen anywhere, but there are certainly areas where it is rare and areas where it does happen on a more regular basis.

In this market, if you're trading up, yeah, you can get a great price for your home now, but what you're buying up to, you're also paying for that guy getting a good price for his home. Plus interest rates are higher.

I think the only way to really get a head on a home sale in this market, is if you're selling. So if you have a place you can stay mid term that's affordable, sell your house. Invest the money from the sale in something safe. And wait it out. When the market crashes, start shopping for a home.

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    In this market, if you're trading up, yeah, you can get a great price for your home now, but what you're buying up to, you're also paying for that guy getting a good price for his home. Plus interest rates are higher.

I think the only way to really get a head on a home sale in this market, is if you're selling. So if you have a place you can stay mid term that's affordable, sell your house. Invest the money from the sale in something safe. And wait it out. When the market crashes, start shopping for a home.
    That's what a friend of mine is doing. Purchased home 10 years ago for 275k. Just sold for 520k.
    Renting for a year and see what the market bears at that time

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    That's what a friend of mine is doing. Purchased home 10 years ago for 275k. Just sold for 520k.
    Renting for a year and see what the market bears at that time
    If my situation were different that’s exactly what I would do. It may be different in a year or so. But the market may be bust by then.

Mij

Permaplinker (thanks to Expat)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    I also want a German Shepard / Rottie mix mutt if I can find one.

Without saying to much about safes or dogs, I’ll say this, I raise working line GSD’s have 3 permanent at this time. The current litter is sold. Mine are always sold before birth. Been doing it for 20+ yrs. If you like I will pm you before the next litter is expected. They are veted by me for work or pet quality. Training is your responsibility. You will not get breeding rights. I have extensive reference list.

I’ve read the whole thread, I’m sorry for your misfortune, I can only suggest what others have. Please see your way clear to find a good safe.

If you go the mixed breed route, I suggest GSD x St.Bernard.

Edit to add: Working Line means protection dog.

Last edited:

Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    Am I reading this correctly? Get a rider and give your insurance carrier a list of your guns with serial numbers?
    After a claim payout the guns belong to the insurance company, they need the serial number of the gun, laptop or whatever, to aid recovery when they show up in the police system. Then they are sold as salvage, to try to recoup the losses paid out on the claim. I asked a 2a underwriter about the the list. He said nobody Fing cares, privacy procedures are in place. He also said everyone is too busy to do anything even if they did care.

Top Bottom