• MinuteManMike

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 28, 2008
    Lawrence, IN
    SCUMBAGGERY UPDATE!

My neighbor with the camera caught two punks trying another break-in today. He called me while I was away from home. Cops got them this time, but the officer I spoke with on the phone said they might only be charged with trespassing since they hadn't had time to try and actually force entry. He said they might be able to charge them with attempted burglary but he wasn't sure.

I got permission from my boss to do full-time telework until my house is repaired and security system installed.

Neighbor thinks one might be one of the dudes from the first time but he wasn't sure. They got all my good guns the first time so not sure what they think they're going to get trying again.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Those old war horses take up a lot of room! :): And I think the people that determine a safe's capacity are the same ones that determine a tent's sleeping capacity. If a safe is supposed to hold 28 guns, it might hold 14. If a tent is supposed to accommodate 4 people, it might accommodate 2.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Nobody ever asks my advice but I give it anyway. If you’re going to build a barn, double the size.

If you are going to buy a gun safe, get one twice as big as you are looking at. JMO
    We have an alleged 10 person tent that we used when DoggyMama and I would camp. That was adequate for the two of us. But we have a queen sized air mattress and stand, plus two totes (one for dry goods and one for camping equipment), and the ability to move our camp table and two chairs inside if the weather turns bad. We were boat campers. Take the pontoon, find a spot on shore, and set up camp.

Lilboog82

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 26, 2014
    Indiana
    SCUMBAGGERY UPDATE!

My neighbor with the camera caught two punks trying another break-in today. He called me while I was away from home. Cops got them this time, but the officer I spoke with on the phone said they might only be charged with trespassing since they hadn't had time to try and actually force entry. He said they might be able to charge them with attempted burglary but he wasn't sure.

I got permission from my boss to do full-time telework until my house is repaired and security system installed.

Neighbor thinks one might be one of the dudes from the first time but he wasn't sure. They got all my good guns the first time so not sure what they think they're going to get trying again.
    yeah you really need a safe.

I feel for you man, been there with the break-ins. it sucks and aggravating like nothing else.

hopefully this will be the end of it. best of luck

xwing

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 11, 2012
    Greene County
    Sorry to hear of your misfortune. That's the bad part about having any nice things; there are plenty of people who will take them if they get any chance. IMO any safe is better than none; even a cheap safe bolted down is enough to stop many crooks.

I do what I can (alarm system, cameras, "hardened" doors, gun safes), but realize that anyone who really wants your stuff is still going to get it. But if you put up enough barriers, it may be enough to convince them to steal from your neighbor instead...

phatgemi

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Oct 1, 2008
    Metamora, IN
    I know a couple people who planned a gun safe/room into the basement of their home. Had a concrete wall in one end of basement and made approx a 12 x 30 foot room complete with a big vault door just like a bank. No way a casual thief would ever be able to get their goodies.

Bugzilla

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2021
    DeMotte
    Got burglarized today. Ghetto of Lawrence, NE Indy. Near 46th and Shadeland.

Two black dudes broke in the back door. Neighbor's video camera picked them up walking up the street in masks, went straight into my back yard and kicked in my admittedly pathetic back door. Stole my stuff and brazen walked down the street holding it all - incl. 2 ARs! - in their hands in broad 445pm daylight. Nice.

I've been meaning to harden that damned door for years and never did. Now I'm out six great firearms and my Nintendo Switch, at the very least. Still stunned, really and trying to assess things. I feeli gross and violated. Had dry heaves a bunch. Now I've barricaded the door, hoping they come back so I can use the guns they missed.

Also drinking too much and don't know how I'm going to sleep to get up for work in five hours.

The way they came up the street and went in my house, I find that weird. Like it wasn't random. I hate thinking this way, but the only person I don't trust that knew I had guns was the next door neighbor. I'm always careful about checking out the outside for watchers when I load and unload for range trips.

Damned planet. People suck.
    Reminded me of your story.

Top Bottom