• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • E7Wrangler

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 21, 2016
    Central
    I am neither an expert nor a shoot organizer but based on my limited experience the targets they used should easily go down with a hit from a 20 Gauge. The targets were mostly hinged steel plates about hand sized. Easy to reset and made you aim to hit.

223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    199   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A
    I had a 930spx for awhile, fantastic shotgun and ran everything I put in it.
    Had a Mesa Tactical side saddle on it. It came with ghost ring sights.
    Great shotgun, you can't go wrong buying one.
    If I were to get back into the tactical shotgun game it would be the 1301.
    This choice for me is because it would be something I haven't owned.

And like someone else said if a 1301 pops up for 1K let me know.
    The cheapest I have seen them is $1300.

There were a couple reasons I sold mine.
    1. Caliber commonality, I had/have no other shotguns
    2. Went a different direction for home defense, a shotgun or other long guns (read AR) can easily be grabbed when rounding a corner.

I know everyone has their own theories on HD situations, mine is a handgun with night sights, a light, extra mags and electronic hearing protection. YMMV.

Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    Have you checked out Black Aces? It is based in Longwood, Florida and has the guns manufactured in Turkey.

I have held a few of these and the workmanship is outstanding. The fit and finish has left nothing in the 'gee I wish' category. The walnut is very nice and all the actions are smooth. The mag fed versions use the Saiga mags/drums and the lever action is just plain fun.

Angrysauce

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 30, 2020
    Kokomo
    All the Turk autoloaders (and the pumps for that matter) are junk, avoid like the plague.
    The 1301 and 930 aren't bad choices. The 940JM pro is the sweet spot, more refined than the 930 and cheaper than the 1301.
    Benelli is "nice", but obviously dumb expensive and they have some usability quirks.

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    All the Turk autoloaders (and the pumps for that matter) are junk, avoid like the plague.
    The 1301 and 930 aren't bad choices. The 940JM pro is the sweet spot, more refined than the 930 and cheaper than the 1301.
    Benelli is "nice", but obviously dumb expensive and they have some usability quirks.

I'm not sure of these usability quirks, at least with an M4?

At least if you hit the shell release with a shell on the carrier, the gun is smart enough to not jam its self up, unlike a 1301.
    I've found it to be a little more forgiving of inexperience with shotguns than many sporting firearms.

Angrysauce

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 30, 2020
    Kokomo
    I'm not sure of these usability quirks, at least with an M4?
    The M4 is the one I think of in particular. They have notoriously tight shell stops, loading tube isn't as smooth as others, the shell carrier is shaped like a fork and likes to eat thumbs.
    It's just not my bag. If I'm spending $2k on a shotgun, I'm not going to want to dump more money in it to make it run the way I want.
    The M2 however, big fan. It's like butter.

Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory

Define 'junk' please. If by junk you mean country of origin then that is one point. If by junk you mean you load it and every time you pull the trigger it performs flawlessly, then what the hell is it supposed to do? Have you shot one? Held one? I suggest you check your bravado and go pick one up and check it out. If it had no makings on it you would think it was a Benelli, it is that good. Then we will talk about what you could do with the extra $800-1000 that is still in your pocket...

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    Define 'junk' please. If by junk you mean country of origin then that is one point. If by junk you mean you load it and every time you pull the trigger it performs flawlessly, then what the hell is it supposed to do? Have you shot one? Held one? I suggest you check your bravado and go pick one up and check it out. If it had no makings on it you would think it was a Benelli, it is that good. Then we will talk about what you could do with the extra $800-1000 that is still in your pocket...

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    FWIW I think there to be quite a range of quality in Turkish stuff.
    Across brands and models.
    Dunno how much within model of certain brand though.
    I rolled the dice on a M3000 due to 3 gun guys running them.
    Haven't shot it enough yet, hell I dislocated my shoulder yesterday.
    Figure an MOA extractor and see if it will go 500 rounds
    Im only at 50 rounds without issue.
    Def needs a recoil reducer. With shoulder messed up it may be a while before I add one and test.

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    They did the Maverick 88 test as well.
    TFB is some fun stuff (like the Mail Call vids).

Agreed I love James sense of humor , I blame him for me wanting a 1301 (can't be mad I was dead set on a M4 untill that video). I need to find time to watch the 88 video , I lack motivation to watch the shotgun videos as I generally do not care for the platform .

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Thunder Rants are a hoot too.
    I hunt, so have shotguns. And used to hunt deer w slugs, so my form is sporting, not tactical.
    My M3000 aint no Rem1100 thats for sure.
    And even w bad shoulder am not a wuss.

The gun could use some help. Not sure just adding the factory reducer (a weight) is worth it.
    Can't find a mercury one specific to that gun. Dunno if a standard would just drop in and work.

W bow season coming up and my shoulder being a mess, I'm not gonna do any testing til after deer season. For HD...........I do trust my POS Remington 870 Supermag. That thing has killed a lot of stuff over a decade plus and has been a champ.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I wanted a 1301 too, but none around, so rolled the dice.
    Plus I don't give a flip about my M3000. It'll be a fine truck gun.
    Bash and chip it all to heck, Krylon after (maybe).
    Bought it to be a beater........as a gun, not a beater of my shoulder LOL

bobjones223

Master
    Rating - 98.2%
    55   1   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Noblesville, IN
    I have some Turkish "junk"....paid $250.00 for it out the door with 5 choke tubes....the first 100 round break in period had a couple FTF.....after that I have over 2000 rounds through it without cleaning and has NEVER failed.....

Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory

I didn't know that you were supposed to buy one and never touch a thing, beat it to crap and expect it to go forever. A press fit roll pin moved? Obviously a more expensive Italian or Portuguese roll pin would never move?

You do know Browning used roll pins, don't you? I have had to work on those.

I guess you see some logic to this video, what I see is 'buy a cheaper gun (or any gun) and treat it like crap and you have crap'. What an epiphany! So much for storing my guns in a strong saline solution, guess I will have to switch to hydrochloric acid and then whine when some cheap add on falls off.

Anyone who uses a mallet on a bolt release... here is a thought, possibly the reason the bolt release was 'stiff' was because the roll pin wasn't properly placed. Yes, I know, damn Turks.

I had a guy buy an $1800 O/U from a big name company several years ago, the fore stock would not close. We called the manufacturer and they said, "hit it with a rubber mallet." The owner freaked and said, "No way am I hitting an $1800 gun with a hammer!" The manufacturer said, "OK, send it back to us and we will hit it with a hammer." More money does not always mean you 'get what you pay for' to the good than spending less means to the bad.

To tell you how stupid I am, if I get a gun (new or used) I check it for function. If I found the bolt release to be sticking I would see if it is a mechanical issue or a flaw in the design. The 'semicircular motion' he describes early on was probably the button pivoting around on the distal end of a miss-aligned/unseated roll pin. A 15 second fix. But then again my purpose isn't to try and destroy the gun but simply use it. If anyone thinks an expensive gun makes it an idiot proof gun, you are welcome to your opinion and good luck...

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Cheap guns and idiots seeme to be the more common mix.

Usually most " failures" are user error or ammunition.

Many cannot identify the problem, or lie about it.

Have had to fix a ton of stuff for John Q Dipstick over the years.

So.....i would say most problems are not gun manufacturing related.

I have seen a bunch of Taurus bad from the get go ( decade ago ) and have seen a bunch of crap from Turkey too

It does/ did exist.

To a higher % than many other brands/ models.

Im talking function, not cosmetics. From bad designs, bad manufacturing ( materials and or machining ) to simply crappy assembly.

I am still a believer that the avg shmoe can hedge his bet buy buying something a bit more expensive.

Also believe the avg gun owner shouldnt even own a screwdriver.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    FWIW the M3000 tactical I purchased was not operational, brand new.
    The bbl would not fully seat.

Block of wood and nylon whacker, still no seat.
    Appears it was some coating thickness issue.
    After tapping the bbl out and in repeatedly it finally went together w normal hand pressure.

Proly knocked it out and in a dozen or so times before it finally seated. Not kidding.

50 shots. No errors. Heavy trap loads.

Not much of a test, will run a couple hundred in it when shoulder is fixed. Keep track of whatever pops up.

But....as new, it was no go.

I spent over an hr working on it just to get it assembled correctly.

Top Bottom