• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • E7Wrangler

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 21, 2016
    Central
    I have wanted one for awhile and with ACC putting on the Boom Stick Challenge somewhat regularly so I can play/practice with it I have discovered a burning "need" for a semi auto home defense style shotgun. My research has lead me to the following current top choices:

CZ 712 Utility - $500

Stoeger M3000 - $700

Barretta 1301 - $1,000

Should I have the Mossberg 930 on my list? Is the Berretta really worth that much more money? Should I just be looking at a cheap Turkish knock off as this does not need to be my primary home defense weapon but more of a fun gun?

I need it to run reliably with regular birdshot as that's what games are played with.

Thoughts, recommendations? First hand experience with any of these or others you recommend? I want the semi-auto so no need to mention pumps or doubles (I have those). I would truly love to hear about a RELIABLE cheaper option. The Barretta is probably a pipe dream at that cost for me but one can always dream.

nipprdog

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Jan 11, 2009
    Tippecanoe county
    CM can give you the best advice about the 930. I shot one last weekend for the first time, it was sweet. only 10rds, but watched the owner shoot a bunch more with no problems

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    What's the Boom Stick Challenge at ACC like? Just curious. Never get to play with my HD shotgun...

E7Wrangler

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 21, 2016
    Central
    Here is the description of the Boom Stick Challenge from June:

You are invited to the FIRST EVER ACC Boom Stick Challenge. This match will be 5 stages of ALL STEEL targets, shotgun-only . Poppers, Flippers, Plate Racks, etc. Minimum round count is 68. Bring 100 or more. ALL BIRDSHOT (#7.5 TO #9).
    10 different Divisions to choose from. 4 for Pump guns, 4 for Semi-Autos, and 2 for Double-Barrel guns. Differentiated by Optic sight or Not, and Tube fed vs. Box (Magazine) fed...

Think simple IDPA with shotguns only and all steel knock down targets. I thoroughly enjoyed it. The next one is planned for Sept 25 as I heard announced today at ACC IDPA monthly shoot.

My main observation was find out if your gun will actually run quickly under time pressure. My rank reflected the fact my 100 year old 1897 shotgun ran flawlessly while lots of whiz bang new guns (like I am looking for LOL) had problems.

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    Benelli M4
    Beretta 1301
    FN SLP
    Mossy 930

That's the order I'd place tactical shotguns in. You get what you pay for, which is more true for these firearms than almost any other.

If you're wanting to run weak birdshot, I'm not really sure a tactical shotgun is what you're looking for. If you run hot stuff, you should be fine though. Just not the cheapo skeet practice stuff.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    You know I've been studying this out and I'm thinking of a Remington 870 with a 26-28" barrel and a 8rd tube extension. Put a red dot on it, and call it good. Is there a shotgun that can beat the 870's reliability?

Born2vette

Norm, Team woodworker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jul 25, 2020
    Westfield
    You know I've been studying this out and I'm thinking of a Remington 870 with a 26-28" barrel and a 8rd tube extension. Put a red dot on it, and call it good. Is there a shotgun that can beat the 870's reliability?
    Mossy 500 may not beat it but you sure can abuse it and it still goes bang.

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    Here is the description of the Boom Stick Challenge from June:

You are invited to the FIRST EVER ACC Boom Stick Challenge. This match will be 5 stages of ALL STEEL targets, shotgun-only . Poppers, Flippers, Plate Racks, etc. Minimum round count is 68. Bring 100 or more. ALL BIRDSHOT (#7.5 TO #9).
    10 different Divisions to choose from. 4 for Pump guns, 4 for Semi-Autos, and 2 for Double-Barrel guns. Differentiated by Optic sight or Not, and Tube fed vs. Box (Magazine) fed...

Think simple IDPA with shotguns only and all steel knock down targets. I thoroughly enjoyed it. The next one is planned for Sept 25 as I heard announced today at ACC IDPA monthly shoot.

My main observation was find out if your gun will actually run quickly under time pressure. My rank reflected the fact my 100 year old 1897 shotgun ran flawlessly while lots of whiz bang new guns (like I am looking for LOL) had problems.
    Oh dang. I need to get in on this. Is a sling necessary?

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    Depends if we're talking about an 870 or the joke of a firearm remington manufactures today.

Mossbergs may be crude but at least I'd trust them.

E7Wrangler

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 21, 2016
    Central
    Oh dang. I need to get in on this. Is a sling necessary?
    No sling required. You need someway to carry extra shells, you will be forced to reload. The shell carry method is of your choosing. I saw guys using fancy 3 gun rigs, guys pulling from their pockets and everything in between. Shells on gun, off gun, etc.

Watch the Shooting Sports thread on INGUN or go to the Atlanta Conservation Club website at: https://www.atlantaconservationclub.com/shootingsports and email Eric Welsh the Steel Challenge Match Director. He is the ramrod behind it right now.

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    No sling required. You need someway to carry extra shells, you will be forced to reload. The shell carry method is of your choosing. I saw guys using fancy 3 gun rigs, guys pulling from their pockets and everything in between. Shells on gun, off gun, etc.

Watch the Shooting Sports thread on INGUN or go to the Atlanta Conservation Club website at: https://www.atlantaconservationclub.com/shootingsports and email Eric Welsh the Steel Challenge Match Director. He is the ramrod behind it right now.
    Appreciate it, already signed up for this month. Been up to ACC once or twice, really looking forward to this.

tcecil88

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 18, 2013
    @ the corner of IN, KY & OH.
    I have a 930 SPX with the OR3Gun goodies and love it. It runs everything I have fed it and the only issue I had was a dead trigger caused by it being sticky with oil. Totally my fault. I now run grease on the bolt and guide rails. I would love to do the Shotgun Shoot, but that is getting into the deer season rut, so I will probably skip it.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I have the Stoeger M3000.
    Only ran 50 shots through it so far

1.Trigger sucks....may need to get an MOA upgrade.

2. Gun beats the crap outta me. Def needs a reducer installed or stock change.

3. Get some light black on paper towel when i wipe it down w Remoil.... whatever they use on receiver aint the best. Seema to have stopped after a few wipedowns

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I have an 870 Express Supermagnum w j lock and its run great. Choketube was concentric too ( Big Green had issues w that when tbey first went to that system back in 80s.....still check em before buying out of habit ).

Vented pad, not the new V3 or whatever.

Think the new ones might be softer in recoil but seem more probe to fall apart, just dont give me thr warm fuzzies. Ran the new version on an 1100 and it was comfy, but seemed too grippy on mount. Like the old vented magnum pads better.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    So even their flagship shotguns have went down hill as well?
    IMO, 870s always were way overrated but yes, they dipped as well, on par with, if not worse than Marlin lever actions did.

I'd take the M3000 off of your list of potential options, OP, if you're going to be moving around a lot as it sounds like you will during the matches. You might find one that goes into battery and stays in battery every time but they are prone to the Benelli Click and not as well built as Benellis typically are. It'd be pretty easy to jar the bolt on one out of battery while moving around rapidly.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    Those of you who may read this and have shotguns that "beat them up" - I suggest that you head over to YouTube and google Rob Haught shotgun techniques, 360 Performance Shooting / Ashton Ray, Jay Haught, Steve Fisher, and Lucky Gunner ALL have fantastic videos on super simple ways to mitigate felt recoil on a shotgun. And when I say super simple, it's one of those "why didn't I think of this earlier" type things.

With the right technique, even shotgun slugs out of a pump platform can be handled quickly and easily without beating you up, guaranteed.

It also helps a great deal if you have the proper length stock for it. Hint: essentially as short as you can legally go. Factory OEM stocks aren't gonna cut it most of the time.

nipprdog

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Jan 11, 2009
    Tippecanoe county

any problems with using a 20 gauge for this?

Top Bottom