• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    The just adjourned Texas Legislature designated the 1847 Colt Walker as the Official Handgun of Texas, so...
    9EFBF9D6-EA9A-4FF0-BB2A-D0E033F98EC2.jpeg BF6744E3-B9F1-439B-BA47-BC008F0C17EA.jpeg

I just got it, forgot to take the tag off before shooting a pic.

Texans, and Rangers in particular, used Samuel Colt's Paterson revolvers, and liked them for their five shot capacity, which was pretty radical for the time. They bought a bunch of them, but not enough to save Colt's first company, which went bankrupt.

After Texas annexed the US :) people could see war coming between the US and Mexico in 1847. The US Army brought on board a lot of Texas Rangers as the US Mounted Rifles. One of its officers, Texas Ranger Captain Samuel Walker, wanted a better revolver for his men, so he traveled east and met with Samuel Colt to work out a new design. Walker wanted bigger bullets (.44 versus the Paterson .36), more bullets (six versus five), and enough power and range to reach out and touch someone AND the horse he rode in on.

Colt came up with a 9" barreled, 15" long six shooter that I believe is the largest military sidearm ever produced, and also likely the most powerful. Reputed to be the most powerful handgun until the advent of the .357 Magnum in the 1930s. Walker and the US Army bought 1000 for five Ranger/Mounted Rifle companies of 100 men each, so two per man (altho the actual distribution went somewhat differently). They were intended to be carried in holsters draped over the pommel of the saddle. Colt also produced 100 more as "civilian" models for (marketing) gifts and sale. There are not many of the original Colt Walkers left, one went for auction for about $1.25Million recently, IIRC. Added: Since Colt's original factory was in hands of creditors, he contracted with Eli Whitney (son of the cotton gin inventor) to produce the Colt Walkers, in a clever arrangement that let Colt re-establish his own factory by the time things were done. This put Colt back in business to stay.

The Cimarron Fire Arms Company of Fredericksburg, Texas, had Uberti produce a special run of Colt Walkers a couple years ago -- 1000 marked with the original USMR company markings, and 100 "civilian" marked ones, just like the original batch, and finished in "original patina" (or something like that). I found one of those for sale used (altho it is very pristine looking, don't think it has been fired).

Now I have to get all the black powder accoutrements...

p.s. The cylinder on the originals and the reproductions have a scene of the Texas Rangers and Commanches fighting a running battle. It's hard to make out with the "patina' finish.

p.p.s. The coolest thing about this so far is that it came in the US Mail right to my desk. The postman even walked it into the office to deliver it. :)

Last edited:

DocIndy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Mar 30, 2010
    Franklin
    52A901B9-59BA-4279-807F-3EF16CF9BDAE.jpeg Latest XP-100 build…. New Lilja barrel in 6.5 Grendel with a brake. Barrel work done by Rob Stenski in Pendleton. Now I just need to pick outs the glass….

Last edited:

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    1627772391071.png

Acquired this German hotness recently. Already loving it and putting it to work as a next-size-up carry from the Shield.

These came up on Gander and SG as "trade-ins" from parts unknown. Steep price for used, but the condition was immaculate. Literally looked like it was fired once and then put directly into storage. Put 100 rounds through it today and was thoroughly wowed by the accuracy and shootability even with the notoriously meh HK trigger.

Carries reasonably well. Dimensionally it's a hair shorter in length and height than a G19 but is slightly wider, plus the width of the lever. Conceals well in AIWB position and regular white guy clothes.

This has been a dream gun for as long as I can remember and I'm pretty thrilled to finally have one.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom