• ...and so much more!
  • Joniki

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NE Indiana
    A friend of mine is going to sell a few of her late husbands handguns. She has a Frontier Scout 62 .22 cal serial number 433XXP. It is in VGC. She also has a Smith Model 39-8 with a serial number of A445XXX. This pistol is in fantastic condition.

I have been looking on several gun sites and pricing is all over the place.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

mmpsteve

Real CZ's have a long barrel!!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 14, 2016
    ..... formerly near the Wild Turkey
    The only way I know to see what things are actually selling for is completed sales on Gunbroker. You have to have an account, I believe. Go to advanced search, type in your parameters, click on firearms, sort by highest number of bids and hit search.

Good luck with it. I have a Frontier Scout in nickel that's like new. It would take at least 10 Benjamins for me to let it go, if even then.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    There's no such thing as a S&W Model 39-8. With the serial number that you provided, it would be a Model 39-2. Forum research indicates that serial number A586xxx was produced around 1979-80, so your A445xxx would have been a little earlier than that, probably 1978 or so. I ran recent completed auctions on GunBroker and saw that most common price paid for a 39-2 in excellent condition was around $650. One went for $805 and was listed in "mint" condition.

Can't advise a good ballpark figure on the Frontier Scout, completed auction prices are all over the place on GunBroker and I don't know anything about that particular piece. The recent completed auction prices were $343, $475, $604 and one went for $2025 and was marked "rare." There are a few listed for $850-$1150 with no bids.

bgcatty

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Sep 9, 2011
    Carmel
    I’m sorry but GunBroker is not the be all and end all of firearms pricing. In fact I believe there is a lot of shilling going on at GunBroker. Oftentimes I see ridiculous prices being bid for used guns when I’ve seen the same gun at an LGS new for about the same or just a few bucks more. Same goes particularly for local auctions. The shills are always being planted out there. My :bash:

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Have her take the guns to a local gunshop that'll sell them on consignment. Several reasons:
    1.) The gun store makes money on % of sale so they have an interest in her getting the best deal.
    2.) The gunstore handles paperwork and that's some peace of mind so she knows she's not putting a gun in the hands of a criminal.
    3.) Gunstores can take a credit card and most people don't buy things with cash anymore sadly enough.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    I’m sorry but GunBroker is not the be all and end all of firearms pricing. In fact I believe there is a lot of shilling going on at GunBroker. Oftentimes I see ridiculous prices being bid for used guns when I’ve seen the same gun at an LGS new for about the same or just a few bucks more. Same goes particularly for local auctions. The shills are always being planted out there. My :bash:
    This is irrelevant for used guns long out of production, which is what the OP is asking about. The only real relevant data on these is looking at several completed auctions and determining a likely price range.

bgcatty

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Sep 9, 2011
    Carmel
    This is irrelevant for used guns long out of production, which is what the OP is asking about. The only real relevant data on these is looking at several completed auctions and determining a likely price range.
    I strongly disagree. I’ve seen auction prices go through a ridiculously high level even for weapons that are not all that scarce. S&W revolvers for instance have gone very high despite the fact that there are tons of them around. Same with JM marked Marlin guns. Shilling is going on. IMHO.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    I strongly disagree. I’ve seen auction prices go through a ridiculously high level even for weapons that are not all that scarce. S&W revolvers for instance have gone very high despite the fact that there are tons of them around. Same with JM marked Marlin guns. Shilling is going on. IMHO.
    Probably some shilling going on, but when you see 6 or 7 of the same model go for $550-650 in the last 30 days, it's a pretty fair bet that it's a good price range. And just because there are a bazillion old Marlins out there doesn't mean that there are a bazillion for sale. Scarcity in the world is not the same as scarcity in the market. Also, people absolutely will pay too much for something that they really want. Just because you think it's too high doesn't mean that it's automatically a shill bidder.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Gun buyers is better than what's selling in our classifieds...I've seen several pistols used selling for more than I can get a brand new one.. ridiculous...

You gotta know how to sift. There's always gonna be folks that think their junk is jewelry. Not any of that on GunBroker, eh? ;)

This one isn't a bad buy. Doesn't even say "firm." Might negotiate???...

Last edited:

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Bottom line on gunbroker or anywhere else for that matter, something is only worth what other people are willing to pay for it. I've seen guns sell on broker that absolutely make me shake my head, but when there's over 30 bids on it from many different people I'm assuming they can't get it in there area, or its a specialty item low on stock, or they don't make them anymore.

For example, try finding any old used "Winchester takedown pre 64" and see what kind of a deal you get. Probably going to be over $1,500 for anything that meets that criteria. As far the guys on this forum thinking their used glock is worth as much as a new one, well there's a reason those aren't selling.

bullcrap

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2023
    Paoli
    Bottom line on gunbroker or anywhere else for that matter, something is only worth what other people are willing to pay for it. I've seen guns sell on broker that absolutely make me shake my head, but when there's over 30 bids on it from many different people I'm assuming they can't get it in there area, or its a specialty item low on stock, or they don't make them anymore.

For example, try finding any old used "Winchester takedown pre 64" and see what kind of a deal you get. Probably going to be over $1,500 for anything that meets that criteria. As far the guys on this forum thinking their used glock is worth as much as a new one, well there's a reason those aren't selling.
    The 94 takedown, I will give that in a heartbeat, try $2000 up on today market.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    A lot of widows just want to get guns out of the house. Like anything, the asking price needs to be set depending upon the seller's motivation. Trying to squeeze the last possible dollar out of the piece probably will take quite a while. Usually widows don't have the knowledge or desire to sell guns on their own. The best option is to have a trusted friend or family member, who is knowledgeable about guns, help in the transaction. It may be worth while to give the trusted person a small commission. Gun shows are an option. The trick is to find the place which will have the most interest. The Colt Frontier Scout is a gun with a limited market, compared to say, a plastic 9mm. DK's idea of the website truegunvalue.com looks like a good place to get an idea of current values. If she wants to get rid of the Colt (which isn't a hot ticket) in a hurry, you might want to put a price on it of $550-$600.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    There was a fair amount of variation in the manufacturing of the Scout model. Check out the Colt forum for details and which ones collectors pay the most for.

Joniki

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NE Indiana
    More information... Again, this Colt Frontier scout is a 1967 model production. The barrel is marked 22 cal. The cylinder is marked 22 LR 120 degrees apart. I believe this was most likey a dual cylinder pistol which would also shoot 22 mag. My friend can't find a second cyclinder.

I am sure this is going to have an impact on the sale.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2022
    Indianapolis
    I always reference true gun value as well. I think it gives a somewhat accurate picture of what retailers are offering but it is a little bit lacking in regards to private sales. I have noticed a couple of listings on here that were "priced to move" so to speak lol. Needless to say they did not last long.

Top Bottom