• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I haven't tried anything heavier than 240 grain bullets, but my gun does like a 24 grain dose of will gun. I appreciate the suggestion.

The 265 Hornady and the Lee 310 I have tried without much success, but part of that is in the slow twist of my old Microgroove Marlin.

The Henry works quite well.

led4thehed2

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    68   0   0
    Oct 16, 2011
    Indianapolis
    Thank you all for your replies and input. I went back to the range today and the batch that produced the squib last week appears to ALL have had their powder contaminated. Each produced a quiet puff, and almost no recoil, but no squibs. There was a considerable amount of unburnt powder in the gun. Every other batch today produced the appropriately loud report and recoil.

In reviewing my reloading station, I found the liquid spray lube I use for 9mm and 45 ACP on my progressive press mixed in with my Magnum loading components. I believe that batch of powder was contaminated due to the careless administration of liquid lubricant that got inside the case and subsequently contaminated the powder.

Again, thank you all for your input, I learned a lot, and use my dumb butt as a reminder - be careful!

Bill2905

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 1, 2021
    Lake County
    Thank you all for your replies and input. I went back to the range today and the batch that produced the squib last week appears to ALL have had their powder contaminated. Each produced a quiet puff, and almost no recoil, but no squibs. There was a considerable amount of unburnt powder in the gun. Every other batch today produced the appropriately loud report and recoil.

In reviewing my reloading station, I found the liquid spray lube I use for 9mm and 45 ACP on my progressive press mixed in with my Magnum loading components. I believe that batch of powder was contaminated due to the careless administration of liquid lubricant that got inside the case and subsequently contaminated the powder.

Again, thank you all for your input, I learned a lot, and use my dumb butt as a reminder - be careful!
    Are you using a spray case lube?

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central

I'm not sure how you go about applying the case lube. I just spray a couple sprays in Ziploc baggie, then put the brass in and mix around, then let it dry out some. I feel like this helps to keep it out of the inside of the cases.

I go very sparingly, and usually only when I'm full length sizing.

led4thehed2

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    68   0   0
    Oct 16, 2011
    Indianapolis
    I'm not sure how you go about applying the case lube. I just spray a couple sprays in Ziploc baggie, then put the brass in and mix around, then let it dry out some. I feel like this helps to keep it out of the inside of the cases.

I go very sparingly, and usually only when I'm full length sizing.
    Not a bad idea - I just shot it directly onto the brass.

Bill2905

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 1, 2021
    Lake County
    Not normally for .44 Magnum , I traditionally use Imperial wax, but for one batch I recall spraying the liquid case lube directly onto the brass

Not normally for .44 Magnum , I traditionally use Imperial wax, but for one batch I recall spraying the liquid case lube directly onto the brass.
    If you are using a carbide sizing die, it is not necessary to lube straight wall pistol cases. I have never lubed a single pistol case in 28 years of reloading 38/357/9mm/44/45. There is nothing wrong with doing this but, it's an unnecessary step unless you have a specific need for it and is something else that can potentially go wrong.

Last edited:

led4thehed2

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    68   0   0
    Oct 16, 2011
    Indianapolis
    If you are using a carbide sizing die, it is not necessary to lube straight wall pistol cases. I have never lubed a single pistol case in 28 years of reloading 38/357/9mm/44/45. There is nothing wrong with doing this but, it's an unnecessary step unless you have a specific need for it and is something else that can potentially go wrong.
    Wow - that would save so much time! The only other round I load on a single stage press is 30-06, so that gets lube for sure. I guess I just assumed the .44 should as well. I am using a carbide sizing die, from the Lee Deluxe Pistol 4-die set.

Top Bottom