• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Glocktard

Marksman
    Rating - 88.9%
    8   1   0
    Feb 19, 2016
    Central
    I posted this in general at first but didn’t get any responses so hopefully someone can help me out here.

Hello all, I’m interested in becoming a gunsmith part time. My full time job has significant days off and I need something I enjoy doing when not working. My question is what is that starting point for becoming a gunsmith? Apprenticeship? Formal Colleges? I’ve seen a couple online school but not sure if those are a good idea. Thanks in advance!

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    You might consider specializing since being what most consider a gunsmith means a lot of equipment and working on any firearm. M&Ps or Glocks are a good place to start since there are a gozillion of them in the market and they are not to complicated to work on.

Glocktard

Marksman
    Rating - 88.9%
    8   1   0
    Feb 19, 2016
    Central
    You might consider specializing since being what most consider a gunsmith means a lot of equipment and working on any firearm. M&Ps or Glocks are a good place to start since there are a gozillion of them in the market and they are not to complicated to work on.

thanks NHT, I thought about doing something like that first to get my toes wet. I only work about 100 days out of the year so I want to eventually be able to do anything.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    See if any of Ivy Tech's metal working / machinist courses are compatible with your work schedule.

Knowing real machining will teach you a heaping helping about gunsmithing.

Also know that gunsmithing and "armorer" are often times at-odds.

Squirt239

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 7, 2010
    North of Brownsburg
    If you want to stay busy, specialize in a specific brand and/or model. Then do a ton of marketing to get your name out there.

If you do general stuff, you'll get a lot of business. But, there's stuff you'll get you can't or don't want to work on; be it availability of parts, or the cost vs. benefit of the weapon.

Apprentice. There are older gunsmiths that are looking at retiring or getting out of the business. Ask them for their time. Bring donuts...bring Scotch...bring cigars....bring something to the table as a peace offering.

Good luck!

Top Bottom