• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Glocktard

Marksman
    Rating - 88.9%
    8   1   0
    Feb 19, 2016
    Central
    Hello all, I’m interested in becoming a gunsmith part time. My full time job has significant days off and I need something I enjoy doing when not working. My question is what is that starting point for becoming a gunsmith? Apprenticeship? Formal Colleges? I’ve seen a couple online school but not sure if those are a good idea. Thanks in advance!

Dono12b

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2021
    Indianapolis
    I’d be interested in knowing what it takes to do these things as well I know YouTube is full of videos and stuff. I’ve got some pretty good mill training my self I think I could figure it out with the right jig and everything. I need to figure it out rather fast I just came into some 80% lowers I need to finish up.

rb288

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 14, 2019
    Grovertown
    I’d be interested in knowing what it takes to do these things as well I know YouTube is full of videos and stuff. I’ve got some pretty good mill training my self I think I could figure it out with the right jig and everything. I need to figure it out rather fast I just came into some 80% lowers I need to finish up.
    Well, you certainly don't need to be a gunsmith to finish 80% lowers.
    A router, a vise, a drill, and a jig, are all you need.
    And a bit of patience.
    They are very easy to finish.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    Learn old time machine shop skills first.

If you can't sharpen a drill bit or know how to cut threads on a lathe, you have little hope in being a gunsmith.

With that knowledge base, firearm are just another mechanical object.

KokomoDave

Enigma Suspect
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    75   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Kokomo
    Yeah. What he said!

I started off as a small arms repairman in the Army National Guard (45B15)
    Had informal lathe and mill experience as my job as a millwright at GM that was gleamed from an old time machinery repairman. Learning new stuff every doggone day still. Buy an Audell's guide for machinists at a minimum. There are other hardback books and guides as well. I just like the Audell book due to getting you thinking about your math and geometry before dumping analytical thinking into the machining process.

Dono12b

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2021
    Indianapolis
    Learn old time machine shop skills first.

If you can't sharpen a drill bit or know how to cut threads on a lathe, you have little hope in being a gunsmith.

With that knowledge base, firearm are just another mechanical object.
    Oh I can sharpen a drill bit it’s honestly not my favorite thing to do but I learned how, grandpappy taught me. I learned how to mill on a Bridgeport, and a sweet little enco both of them had the serial # plates and I looked at the date they were made, it blew my mind to think these things are older than my dad and they still work and make money.

Gunsmiff12B

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 13, 2016
    South bend
    As stated above get some machining experience. If you’re doing it part time I wouldn’t suggest dumping a lot of money into it. I attended the Colorado school of trades, 14 month school near Denver, with about $25,000 tuition, covered by the GI bill, I did learn a lot, however when I moved back to indiana, there’s really no jobs out here unless you want to work for someone for pennies on the dollar, or have enough to finance your own shop. The best place to start would be to get some of the disassembly books, some old beater guns and rip them apart and put them back together. Once you understand how all the parts function you’ll be a step closer.

Mike Maddox

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 10, 2020
    Otterbein
    There are a couple of colleges that offer gunsmithing training, just none local. As noted the military is one option. Many get started by helping a local. There are also the big shops that might be an option. Sadly, we are loosing more than we are gaining.

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    There's some great advice given here...especially the one's regarding simply obtaining some basic skills with machining parts, take-apart and reassemble some older guns, etc. All will help build a better understanding of how guns function and when or why they don't!
    There's several ways to go about learning a few things, and starting with something you enjoy can make a difference. For example, I like working on Ruger 10/22's and my wife got me the four (4) video set of 'How To...Ruger 10/22' from American Gunsmithing Institute (AGI) for Christmas! I already play around with the 10/22, have built a few 'custom' version, but the video set should help me to better understand what I do and why...or give me pointers of what to do better?
    I also like 1911's and have a video on those as well!
    I say, start with something you enjoy...develop those skills...and then go from there!

Top Bottom