• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tomcat13

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2010
    Near Louisville
    Asking for recommendations about a Quality Gunsmith in the Southern part of the State (preferably near Clark, Floyd, Harrison or Washington Counties). Just bought a Rock Island 1903 & wanna get it Re-barreled. Apologies if this has already been asked (I didn't find anything Similar in a quick search of the Forum). Thanks for Input!

tomcat13

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2010
    Near Louisville
    Alrighty, due to the Under-whelming response (lol), I'd be willing to travel "Up North" as far as Indy for this Project. Any recommendations for a Quality Gunsmith near Indy (or South of Marion County), that is accepting New Jobs? Thanks again for any input.

55fairlane

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 15, 2016
    New Haven
    A) I feel your pain, some asks a legit question, all you hear is crickets, but someone asks a stupid question like what color should I spray paint my ammo, response out the arse.
    What is wrong with you 03 ....I knew several good guys up here in the ft wayne area...

tomcat13

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2010
    Near Louisville
    A) I feel your pain, some asks a legit question, all you hear is crickets, but someone asks a stupid question like what color should I spray paint my ammo, response out the arse.
    What is wrong with you 03 ....I knew several good guys up here in the ft wayne area...
    Thanks for the response. Barrel in this '03 is pitted up pretty bad. Shot it a couple of times & it (We) have trouble getting On Paper @ 50y. Thought I might try getting it re-barreled, but do Not wanna turn it over to some Jack-Wagon that's still "learning his Trade." Spent a lot of time up around Ft Wayne in my Younger Years (Many USSSA State Softball Tourney's). Like the area, but think I'll try to find someone Closer. Thx again!

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg
    Asking for recommendations about a Quality Gunsmith in the Southern part of the State (preferably near Clark, Floyd, Harrison or Washington Counties). Just bought a Rock Island 1903 & wanna get it Re-barreled. Apologies if this has already been asked (I didn't find anything Similar in a quick search of the Forum). Thanks for Input!
    Contact AllenM (Avon, IN). He has the specific skills needed and he will tell you if he has the platform specific expertise to complete the job. He is top notch. Actually, he is one step above top notch.

It not an overcomplex job but it is not for the first timer either. Getting the old barrel out can be, umm, a bear.

55fairlane

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 15, 2016
    New Haven
    You obviously have never tried to rebarrell a 1903 rifle
    I did both my 03 & my 03A3,

My 03A3 did not need the barrel changed, except my rifle is a Smith Corona, and must have been rebarreled , as it wore a Remington barrel, when I got it. I found a NOS Smith Corona barrel.

If you dont care about saving the barrel there not real hard to get out.

Lube the threads, and watch the timing mark when seating the barrel

Top Bottom