• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Independence Safe Company in Noblesville is a good source. When I was in the market the area official dealer for Liberty. They also carried Browning.

Also, I researched and even went out to his workshop to talk Jeff at Johnson Safes in Zionsville. Great guy, with a quality product and made to order.

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    This is an incredibly informative website - chock full of useful information / education about "gun safes" - IE what actually is a safe vs what isn't.

Yes, do checkout this site.

TLDR: Standard “gun safes” are residential security containers gussied up to look like real safes, and don’t really provide fire protection even if they say they do. Can get the same level of burglar-resistant protection by buying much less expensive job box or similar containers. At that site the guy has recommendations for hiding safes, And if I remember correctly he is of the opinion that people not knowing you have a safe at all is the best protection, so you’re on the right track.

If you want a real safe, check into the used safe market for UL approved TL-15 or TL-30 (preferably “x6”) safes. Businesses that sell real safe often have used ones at significant discount, so it’s possible to get a real safe for the price of a higher end “gun safe”. I have to look around and be patient but they were there. More likely to find this in a bigger rather than smaller cities.

Fire protection is a whole different ballpark, and if you want that in a burgler resistant safe, you are going to have to bring a bigger piggy bank. Unless you have heirlooms or similar, might be cheaper just to pay for some extra insurance to cover your guns in case of fire.

Mij

Permaplinker (thanks to Expat)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    Right now I’m thinking a inexpensive safe to store my firearms away from the kiddos. I’m going to go check out rural king today and see what they have available.
    If that’s your goal get a couple of used school lockers and put a good key’d lock on em. Then keep the one key with you at all times just like your side arm.

Don't waste the money on what is actually just a metal cabinet
    Yep, lock’em up. Save your hard earned FRN’s while your researching gun safes. Then buy one time what will likely be a lifetime envestment. Don’t look at gun safe sites for info. Look at Consumer Report or insurance companies sites about real safes, not security cabinets. (What they really sell at all box stores), just cause they call it a safe don’t make it so. And get one at the very least two times bigger than you think you will need. JMO.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Checkout a vault door. :shady:
    https://www.smithsecuritysafes.com/vault-doors

You can build a pretty decent room for the price of a good safe.
    Awhile back we were discussing Safes and fireproofing. Found out that there are only a few that actually protect firearms from fire. The rest are just glorified gun cabinets.
    Building a fireproof room is definitely the way to go.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Awhile back we were discussing Safes and fireproofing. Found out that there are only a few that actually protect firearms from fire. The rest are just glorified gun cabinets.
    Building a fireproof room is definitely the way to go.
    And more versatile.

You can't hide in a safe during a tornado, or hang curing meat in one without getting you guns greasy. :whistle:

BlueDrew2

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 9, 2021
    Hancock Co
    As echoing many others, most safes are just going to keep honest people honest. Account additional room for other valuables/documents. Buy 2-3x as large as you'd expect and be prepared to still outgrow it quickly.

gunselman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 94.1%
    32   2   0
    Dec 18, 2008
    Indy
    You can buy a cheap safe from Tractor Supply and places like that to hold that amount of guns you are talking about.

Here is a 12 gun Winchester Safe From Tractor Supply for $399 https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/winchester-gun-safe-12-gun-ts12-30#

I would recommend a safe from Johnson Safes in Zionsville, IN. His safe are far more expensive but they are far better quality than anything you will see at a Tractor Supply/Rural King etc. Better as in thicker steel. His base (JS Series) are 10 gauge (0.1345") body and 1/4" plate door. He makes a JS-524 that sound exactly like what you are looking for. http://www.johnsonsafes.net/safes.html

Most of the cheap Chinese safes are made from the cheapest 14 gauge steel (0.075") they can find.

Top Bottom