• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • baranjhn

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 8, 2021
    Lafayette
    That's unfortunate about the fire rating basically being worthless. I guess when I get my new safe, I'll concentrate on security more and maybe save a few dollars. Basically I just want to prevent the smash and grab. If bad guys know I have a safe and really want to, they will get in.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    If the criminal is smart and has a few hours maybe less he will get into anything with the right tools. The guys that smash and grab won't waste time on a good safe. Dogs to keep criminals out? But fire is another story. If you have family heirlooms and firearms that have sentimental value those are not replaceable period. I believe fire to be the greatest threat to such items if kept in a well built safe. That is why I want to know how to protect the safe against it's greatest enemy. Fire! Jetta has the best idea imo build a fireproof room for all the safes to be stored. I'd rather clean up wet firearms then have burnt up scrap metal.

fjw2

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 9, 2016
    Close to a friend
    Having seen what tends to survive a structure fire many times over the years, I would suggest locating your storage of valuables in the portion of the home that has the lowest fuel load. Fire spreads up and outward in a “v” pattern from the point of inception. The last parts of the homes that I’ve seen to suffer the worst effects from heat have been in basements and crawl spaces. But water damage will be significantly more likely depending on relation to fire suppression efforts. Specifically, if you can locate the safe with concrete walls or block around it, you stand the best chance to avoid damage from a fire.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Having seen what tends to survive a structure fire many times over the years, I would suggest locating your storage of valuables in the portion of the home that has the lowest fuel load. Fire spreads up and outward in a “v” pattern from the point of inception. The last parts of the homes that I’ve seen to suffer the worst effects from heat have been in basements and crawl spaces. But water damage will be significantly more likely depending on relation to fire suppression efforts. Specifically, if you can locate the safe with concrete walls or block around it, you stand the best chance to avoid damage from a fire.
    Thank you for that information.

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    That's unfortunate about the fire rating basically being worthless. I guess when I get my new safe, I'll concentrate on security more and maybe save a few dollars. Basically I just want to prevent the smash and grab. If bad guys know I have a safe and really want to, they will get in.
    There are safes that have actual UL fire ratings, but “gun safes” usually aren’t even real safes, just residential security containers with some drywall stuck in them.

An actual fire safe that met UL criteria would probably provide some protection to guns, especially if the safe is located away from high fire load areas. But it is very expensive to meet the UL criteria, as well as to get it tested to obtain the UL label. And that criteria only applies to fire ratings. Burglary resistance ratings are a whole separate area. A safethat met the both UL fire and burglary ratings would be a very expensive safe.

I have a limited career as a fire fighter, but from what I’ve seen a house fire is a particularly effective destroyer of everything If you can’t get on top of it right away.

Last edited:

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    Nothing will withstand a house fire. Gave this a lot of thought. Your options are get the appropriate amount of insurance or sell the guns. I chose to dump the guns and big expensive safe. If my place burns or someone steals I'm not going to be crying about it.

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    361   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    I want to see a drop test. My house has no combustible material in the exterior walls. The most likely scenario at Casa de Snorko is for fire to weaken the floor to the point that the safe drops through to the basement. Since it is at an end of the house farthest from a kitchen or likely source of fire, that will likely occur towards the end of the burn cycle.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I want to see a drop test. My house has no combustible material in the exterior walls. The most likely scenario at Casa de Snorko is for fire to weaken the floor to the point that the safe drops through to the basement. Since it is at an end of the house farthest from a kitchen or likely source of fire, that will likely occur towards the end of the burn cycle.
    Tie a rope around it connected to the ceiling.

Bugzilla

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2021
    DeMotte
    Fire ratings indicate the time and heat of a fire the safe is exposed to that the safe “will“ keep the interior less than 350 F, the temperature where paper will begin to char.

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    This thread along with knowing a co-worker of my daughter who just lost it all in a house fire made me move a few more guns and ammo off site.

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    There is a UL rating for impact fire resistance. They heat the safe to 1550 degrees, then drop it 30 feet onto a pile of bricks, simulating a fall from an upper story into a basement of rubble. Then they put the safe back in the furnace and reheat it. The interior temperature of the safe must not exceed 350F, and the papers inside must be readable.

Test doesn't say anything about guns... :)

Top Bottom