• ...and so much more!
  • actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    I helped a range with a church ladies group. These poor gals showed up with tiny guns that their husbands sent them with.

Poor ladies. After struggling with a .22 jennings, one lady asked what we were all carrying (g19s). We loaned her one and she started making good hits and was tickled pink.

Another was using a micro revolver and asked if she could try one, the same with a .380, the same with airweight .38 snubby.

We worked with them on racking the slide. Some had trouble. All of them could rack the slide and with more instruction/practice would get it figured out.

We sent 4 or 5 ladies home who wanted a proper fighting pistol and were going to take a piece of their husbands hide for giving them tiny toy guns.
    In the husband's defense, I've seen MANY women choose tiny firearms.
    Then shoot them and find out they don't like them.

So, I always talk advantages/disadvantages, and then try to have different guns to try out.

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    Don't get her one.. Get her in an intro class or a private lesson at Parabellum and let her shoot a few so she can make an educated decision
    Definitely have her try a few first to see what she even likes, is capable of handling, doesn't hurt her hand (harshly), etc. When my mother, age 80 now, wanted a gun to carry on her daily walks in the summer, we looked at her capabilities and went with a Ruger LCR in .22 wmr. Simple to use with pull-point-n-shoot capability, milder felt recoil, minimal defensive capability but yet still a firearm for personal defense that no one would willingly get shot with, etc. Best part, she could put it in her jacket or vest pocket and if anything had ever occurred, she could put her hand on it and draw it, snag-free, in a second! We had to work with her on the trigger pull (it was a bit 'stout') but with practice, it was manageable. The best part was...she felt a LOT more comfortable out walking a mile or so away from the house!

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    384   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    "And for the love of all, don't let her carry it in her purse!!!!"
    ^^^
    If a person-Male or Female-Or whatever they call them now, wants to carry a firearm===Carry on their body ONLY!!

Thugs steal purses just for the possible value of purse/contents===NOW===they have another "Gun on the Street",
    to be used on themselves or others===BAD STUFF...Bill.

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    384   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    Definitely have her try a few first to see what she even likes, is capable of handling, doesn't hurt her hand (harshly), etc. When my mother, age 80 now, wanted a gun to carry on her daily walks in the summer, we looked at her capabilities and went with a Ruger LCR in .22 wmr. Simple to use with pull-point-n-shoot capability, milder felt recoil, minimal defensive capability but yet still a firearm for personal defense that no one would willingly get shot with, etc. Best part, she could put it in her jacket or vest pocket and if anything had ever occurred, she could put her hand on it and draw it, snag-free, in a second! We had to work with her on the trigger pull (it was a bit 'stout') but with practice, it was manageable. The best part was...she felt a LOT more comfortable out walking a mile or so away from the house!
    ^^^GREAT STUFF
    On Her body (Jacket Pocket)-NOT IN A PURSE....Bill.

siglady24

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2023
    Edinburgh
    My mother has been looking to purchase herself her first handgun. I was looking for recommendations from anyone that has gotten one their mother or spouse enjoys shooting. Thanks.
    Sig P365 is really nice. I'm a taller, stronger woman so the recoil isn't too bad for me but full size guns kick less. Take her around and have her hold them. Make sure she can reach the safety with her thumb (arthritis can effect their performance) and make sure she can hold the gun with a strong tight grip.

siglady24

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2023
    Edinburgh
    ^^^GREAT STUFF
    On Her body (Jacket Pocket)-NOT IN A PURSE....Bill.
    Love this! I am an "on the person" advocate. Purses are not practical for guns and will get you killed if they see you digging and struggling for your weapon. They are hard to remove weapon and obviously a ccw purse to strangers.

Top Bottom