• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jcole123

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 13, 2022
    Indianapolis
    My mother has been looking to purchase herself her first handgun. I was looking for recommendations from anyone that has gotten one their mother or spouse enjoys shooting. Thanks.

Gingerbeardman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 17, 2017
    Anderson
    Handle and shoot as many as possible. Get her one that feels right, so she's comfortable, and she can shoot easily. In the event she's going to carry it, size matters. It wouldn't hurt to go to an all women's class.

Magyars

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Mar 6, 2010
    Delaware County Freehold
    Many (older) women have difficulty racking a slide.
    I'd recommend a double action only S&W revolver.
    At arms length distances it will do the trick.
    If it wasn't for the purse comment I'd go with a hammer.

tomcat13

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2010
    Near Louisville
    Excellent advice above, on getting her into some sort of Professional Training.
    Since you asked for recommendations from personal experience:
    Back in the day, Dad Bought Mom a S & W Model 10-6, 4" in 38 Spl.
    When Mom passed, it went to my Daughter.
    For my wife, some time back we bought her a Ruger LCR in 38 Spl, 3" Bbl
    Wife has RA & her hands have trouble with racking a Slide as well.
    Hope this Helps!

jcole123

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 13, 2022
    Indianapolis
    Excellent advice above, on getting her into some sort of Professional Training.
    Since you asked for recommendations from personal experience:
    Back in the day, Dad Bought Mom a S & W Model 10-6, 4" in 38 Spl.
    When Mom passed, it went to my Daughter.
    For my wife, some time back we bought her a Ruger LCR in 38 Spl, 3" Bbl
    Wife has RA & her hands have trouble with racking a Slide as well.
    Hope this Helps!
    As a young girl she used to hunt and shoot guns with her dad and grandpa all the time so she understands basic firearm safety. I’d be looking into a self defense class for myself so I’d love to bring her along also. Do you have any recommendations on classes?

MarmotMountain

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 31, 2022
    Bellevue
    Any chance you're able to go to a range and rent various pistols? As mentioned by other members, I think it would be helpful for her to handle and shoot different sized weapons. She might feel the most comfortable shooting a full or a subcompact.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Don't get her one.. Get her in an intro class or a private lesson at Parabellum and let her shoot a few so she can make an educated decision
    This. People dont realize that at least at Parabellum, you arent renting *A* gun from the wall. When you rent, you can return to the wall and swap it out with another. Lather rinse repeat until she has tried all she wants and has a favorite. The only gotcha is you MUST buy the ammo from them.

They also do "smorgasbord shoots" as I recall. (they probably call it something else) For a fee you come in and there are a handful of different guns ready for you to try. You go down the line shooting each one to see what works best for you.

sixGuns

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 24, 2020
    Grabill
    This is probably going to be bad advice, but it works for me. My mom is not going to range training or some class, she won't do it. She will go shooting with me and I instruct her best I can. Revolvers... too heavy and a very heavy trigger, no bueno. We've been through a bit of gear and in the end its a S&W Shield EZ in .380. She likes it and shoots it well enough. She can tap/rack/bang it if need be, but other semi-autos are a bit much for the hand strength. I maintain it for her and have it in a good holster. She knows how to drive it and I'm the pit crew. YMMV.

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    We took my mom out to the range and she can shoot darned good but the slide was the issue. This was before the shield ez, so we decided on a s&w bg 38.

And for the love of all, don't let her carry it in her purse!!!!

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    She travels often for work between local states and when not traveling she works downtown Indy late at night. Just something small for her to carry in her purse while walking to her car late at night.
    I am sure there will be plenty of recommendations. As others have said training, First, not sure about your area but lots of places around here have specific classes geared towards women, which touch on a lot of things not just firearms training.

Most importantly purse Cary is a bad idea on so many levels. Just say no to off body carry. Your statement illustrates one of the main reasons off body carry is a bad idea. Works downtown Indy late at night walking to her car. Not trying to be a jerk but what do you think they are going to try and steal? Odds are it’s going to be her purse? Chances are she is going to be carrying her key-fob, and Heaven forbid something happens you do not want her to have to be in a struggle to access her self defense tool.

thopson

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 7, 2020
    Trafalgar
    Take her somewhere that she can try guns herself. I teach an introduction class for those who don't have a gun yet and they can try many different makes and models. I am always surprised at what they like. I don't push any brand or model on anyone. Don't buy her one let her get the one she is most comfortable with because what you like or think likely won't be the same for her. I hate when well meaning men send a woman to one of my classes with a revolver. I have yet to encounter one that likes it. It is a terrible option when there are so many great options out there. . I carried a revolver for many years, so glad I learned there are other great options out there.

The Bubba Effect

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 13, 2010
    High Rockies
    Take her somewhere that she can try guns herself. I teach an introduction class for those who don't have a gun yet and they can try many different makes and models. I am always surprised at what they like. I don't push any brand or model on anyone. Don't buy her one let her get the one she is most comfortable with because what you like or think likely won't be the same for her. I hate when well meaning men send a woman to one of my classes with a revolver. I have yet to encounter one that likes it. It is a terrible option when there are so many great options out there. . I carried a revolver for many years, so glad I learned there are other great options out there.

I helped a range with a church ladies group. These poor gals showed up with tiny guns that their husbands sent them with.

Poor ladies. After struggling with a .22 jennings, one lady asked what we were all carrying (g19s). We loaned her one and she started making good hits and was tickled pink.

Another was using a micro revolver and asked if she could try one, the same with a .380, the same with airweight .38 snubby.

We worked with them on racking the slide. Some had trouble. All of them could rack the slide and with more instruction/practice would get it figured out.

We sent 4 or 5 ladies home who wanted a proper fighting pistol and were going to take a piece of their husbands hide for giving them tiny toy guns.

Top Bottom