• ...and so much more!
  • Win52C

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Jan 27, 2010
    Lawrence County
    So, I was opining in the shower this morning. I’ve been a shooter since I was a kid ( Thank You Dad!! RIP) and a collector of Winchesters and S&W’s for about 30 years now.
    I still vividly remember Richard (RIP) who was the owner/ operator of Kirby Road Gunshop and a friend, up in Bloomington back in the 80’s-90’s speaking with great passion about how some guys couldn’t stop buying and were obsessed, buying just to be buying, with no plan to ever use them. He said it was a “sickness”. This has always stuck with me as an impressionable guy in early 20’s at the time.
    I do totally understand the appreciation for a fine firearm, the attention to detail, the intricate metalwork, the amazing woodwork. Truly some firearms are works of art!
    I’m rambling. But I guess it comes down to this: When does collecting become an illness or compulsion?
    Not that I think I’m there. But I just want others opinions. Thanks all.

Last edited:

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    81   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    Depends on how deep down the rabbit hole you would like to go. What I collect has been discontinued roughly 17yrs now and as more get taken out of circulation the various models get harder to find. One day I'll have to abandon my goal of every basic model and move on to buying spare parts for repair and rebuild.

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg
    If a discretionary purchase is made within ones financial means and within the limits established between spouses or significant others, it is just a healthy exercise of ones interests.

I have bought many a gun over the years - just because it was there and I was too. Can’t think of any I have ever regretted buying. Wished I never sold any.

Please do not ask my wife her opinion.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    So, I was opining in the shower this morning. I’ve been a shooter since I was a kid ( Thank You Dad!! RIP) and a collector of Winchesters and S&W’s for about 30 years now.
    I still vividly remember Richard ( RIP) who was the owner/ operator of Kirby Road Gunshop and a friend, up in Bloomington back in the 80’s-90’s speaking with great passion about how some guys couldn’t stop buying and were obsessed, buying just to be buying, with no plan to ever use them. He said it was a “ sickness”. This has always stuck with me as an impressionable guy in early 20’s at the time.
    I do totally understand the appreciation for a fine firearm, the attention to detail, the intricate metalwork, the amazing woodwork. Truly some firearms are works of art!
    I’m rambling. But I guess it comes down to this: When does collecting become an illness or compulsion?
    Not that I think I’m there. But I just want others opinions. Thanks all.
    IMO, the same as anything else - when the desire for items for the collection overrides caution and money gets spent that should go toward other things first

I have a friend who is a Winchester collector with this problem. He is living on a modest retirement, has the usual complaints about expenses and then suddenly will be telling me how he spent $9800 on some collectible or other. He has some very fine examples that he meticulously cares for, but I can't get him to budget for a decent safe. I would say he is obsessed, it almost seems like the same emotions that motivate gamblers

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    Oh man, Kirby Road gunshop was the best. Richard helped this impressionable youth really get started too. I loved that guy.

I collect for two reasons: one, I enjoy certain types and models of guns. The other is when I can get one for a decent price. It's a form of socking away money that is reasonably liquid with a small possibility of at least recouping my investment. I generally won't sell a gun unless I need some cash.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    I enjoy collecting because some firearms are pure works of art. Try getting an anti to understand that one.

There were a couple, like the Ruger 10/22 that I purchased more than one because of all the modifications you can make to them. From the silliness of a 10/22 Bullpup to the seriousness of a tack driver, there is so much you can do to a 10/22 that one is just not enough.

As long as you can still pay the bills and put food on the table, an extra firearm now and then should not be a problem. And as said by others, if you ever need an extra dollar, selling a firearm or two should be an easy way to having some extra cash.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I don't have anything of collector value so can't really speak to that aspect. I can say that for guns that I intend to carry, I do seem to have a mental requirement that I have more than 1 of that specific gun, and sometimes more. I'll freely admit that's a mental thing for me. As others have stated, I'm not missing any meals, etc because of what I have in the safe. I also like to have a healthy supply of mags, and other items.

I will trade some or sell them off as I move out of a platform as well.

Last edited:

marvin02

Don't Panic
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jun 20, 2019
    Calumet Twp.
    Every gun I own at this point has a specific use. I haven't gotten into buying as a collector, yet. I also don't understand owning guns that you do not shoot.

A lot of the beauty of guns, for me, is how they work. I'm a lot more interested in the internals than the exterior. When we visited the Sandia Peak Tramway I was more interested in how it worked than the view.

Win52C

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Jan 27, 2010
    Lawrence County
    Depends on how deep down the rabbit hole you would like to go. What I collect has been discontinued roughly 17yrs now and as more get taken out of circulation the various models get harder to find. One day I'll have to abandon my goal of every basic model and move on to buying spare parts for repair and rebuild.
    Agreed. I too have the 3rd Gen S&W auto bug. Though it’s greatly surpassed by their revolvers. Also. Bugl02 I think hits it on the head. If you got the $. Why not.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Agreed. I too have the 3rd Gen S&W auto bug. Though it’s greatly surpassed by their revolvers. Also. Bugl02 I think hits it on the head. If you got the $. Why not.
    I have to admit that I'm a bit weird about it, too (you're shocked, I know). For me to desire a gun, no matter how well it is purported to shoot, I have to like the way it looks. It's why I don't like Glocks or M&Ps very much but am very fond of FNPs, my CZ40B and my witnesses/tanfoglios and why I always liked Mausers (and especially swedes) the best. It is why all my bolt rifles are wood and metal rather than synthetic stocked, and it is a very personal trait. I can't necessarily explain why I like a particular firearm, I just know when I do

Win52C

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Jan 27, 2010
    Lawrence County
    I have to admit that I'm a bit weird about it, too (you're shocked, I know). For me to desire a gun, no matter how well it is purported to shoot, I have to like the way it looks. It's why I don't like Glocks or M&Ps very much but am very fond of FNPs, my CZ40B and my witnesses/tanfoglios and why I always liked Mausers (and especially swedes) the best. It is why all my bolt rifles are wood and metal rather than synthetic stocked, and it is a very personal trait. I can't necessarily explain why I like a particular firearm, I just know when I do
    Agreed. I know when I like a firearm. And I have to own it. It’s weird. Lol. BTW anyone with Gort for an avatar is OK in my book

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    Don't know why it could be called a "sickness" unless the purchase of firearms cause an issue with the family finances. I know of fishermen who have spent many 10's of thousands in tackle, boats etc., Golfers that have spent far more than their incomes affords. Not to mention Hot rod lovers, Harley riders, etc. .

My youngest Son (near 50 yo) and I collect all types of handguns, Rifles, shotguns etc. Even have some black powder. When I have and still purchase firearms, it doesn't affect my finances. I own my home, cars, have zero recurrent bills, pay all credit card bills in full when due. I will be 80 in May and my retirement income exceeds our normal living expenses.

I have many firearms with really no real use, several Mosin's, SKS's, also WW1 and WW2 rifles as well as many modern firearms like Garands, M1 carbine, Ruger Mini, Colts, Winchesters, Remington, Browning, Kimber, Swiss, Swedish, Mauser's, AR's LR-308, AK-47, 50BMG, Savage, Mossberg's etc. .

I used to shoot every firearm I purchased shortly after purchase and inspection (and repair / cleaning / tuning), however since covid and other issues there are a few I haven't shot yet.

My firearms have really turned into a good investment although I have no interest in selling or trading any. They will all be passed on to my son's.

Top Bottom