• ...and so much more!
  • Biggredchev

Just some guy
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 16, 2017
    Pretty much Michigan.
    Has anyone tried their hand at growing their own coffee? Ive grown all the vegetables, winter kale, strawberries, elderberries, etc. I think coffee would be a bit more challenging. I figure if SHTF it could be pretty strong bartering currency, plus the actual coffee berry is supposed to be super healthy from what ive read. What say you?

Hkindiana

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 19, 2010
    Southern Hills
    Indoor. Ive some room in my home office in front of a window that gets a good amount of sunlight. Was thinking about attempting to grow a coffee plant.

I have a twelve foot mandarin orange tree growing in my living room that I grew from a seed that I found in a “cutie”, 12 pineapple plants, and two banana trees, but I have not tried coffee (yet)

Biggredchev

Just some guy
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 16, 2017
    Pretty much Michigan.
    A quick search on the Duck finds:

33 coffee plants per person, for a 3-cup-per-day habit.
    Wow. I guess my one plant wouldnt do much then lol. I may still try it just to see if i can do it for the experience. Also ive experimented my coffee, if i bag the used grounds, i can reuse them a second time with decent coffee. If i rebag them, and add a 1fresh tbsp, its on par with day 2s coffee. Ive done some more extensive test but you get the point. I can make it 7 days on 10tbsp of grounds and i use 6 per 12 cups of coffee usually.

When the **** hits the fan, you may be better off knowing how to grow chicory.
    Chicory wouldnt be much of a challenge. It grows wild here so i know i could grow it. Just seems like the yield would suck vs effort put in since the root is what you make the coffee substitute from. Just like everything else once the root is gone the plant is done.

Last edited:

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    Chicory might taste o.k., but since it doesn't have caffeine not sure it would be worthwhile. (written by a caffeine fiend)
    You can buy bulk caffeine cheap. Not so easy to get pure in bulk as it’s really easy to OD, but I have several pounds of pure 200mg powder capsules stashed away. The bulk you buy now is usually 10%.

Once you kick the caffeine habit, it does not take much to give quite a buzz when done occasionally.

JeepHammer

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2018
    SW Indiana
    Has anyone tried their hand at growing their own coffee? Ive grown all the vegetables, winter kale, strawberries, elderberries, etc. I think coffee would be a bit more challenging. I figure if SHTF it could be pretty strong bartering currency, plus the actual coffee berry is supposed to be super healthy from what ive read. What say you?
    Wrong agriculture zone, depending on where you are.
    Consider plants that contain caffeine that grow in your climate zone, there are several that have much more caffeine than coffee.
    I have a couple plants that chewing a stem will give you a jolt like crazy, but they are greenhouse plants, don't tolerate freezing conditions.
    That 'Bug Out Bag' should have caffeine tablets even if you don't drink coffee. In the event of an emergency you may need more awake/alert hours than you are used to.
    Sugar cubes for that extra energy boost are also a good idea. You will have a sugar crash later, but it might keep you going when you normally wouldn't.

Biggredchev

Just some guy
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 16, 2017
    Pretty much Michigan.
    Consider plants that contain caffeine that grow in your climate zone, there are several that have much more caffeine than coffee.
    I have a couple plants that chewing a stem will give you a jolt like crazy, but they are greenhouse plants, don't tolerate freezing conditions.
    That 'Bug Out Bag' should have caffeine tablets even if you don't drink coffee. In the event of an emergency you may need more awake/alert hours than you are used to.
    Sugar cubes for that extra energy boost are also a good idea. You will have a sugar crash later, but it might keep you going when you normally wouldn't.
    The idea is more because of love for coffee, and it would spend the cold months in my home office in front of the window. Its not intended to be a bugout bag item, Just a comfort item in case of total societal collapse.
    also

Also i have a couple packs of those truck stop energy pills in my get home bag. Ive never done cocaine but i imagine they are alot like that lol. One pill gives me a crazy amount of energy for a couple hours and each pack has 4 pills.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.

The original Power Bars are better. No need for a sugar crash when complex carbs with some fat and protein are better. Hell, Snickers bars are better. Just stocking pure sugar is a poor use of space.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Good coffee beans are very picky about their growing conditions. Even well known Arabica beans supposedly vary a lot according to seasonal environmental conditions.

You might well be able to pull off growing something drinkable. Or you could work it for years and never get a cup.

Just think about the reason you see no American grown coffee advertised. We'd all buy it, wouldn't we?

I'd suggest storing a bunch of a variety of green beans from well known locations. Green coffee beans have a long shelf life, while roasted beans are best ground and brewed in a week or two.

Then concentrate coffee efforts on a good repeatable roast mix, a grind you and wifey are happy with and a daily brewing method that works for you.

Warning...
    The deeper you delve into good coffee, the more things change in your procedures. :)

Last edited:

Biggredchev

Just some guy
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 16, 2017
    Pretty much Michigan.
    Good coffee beans are very picky about their growing conditions. Even well known Arabica beans supposedly vary a lot according to seasonal environmental conditions.

You might well be able to pull off growing something drinkable. Or you could work it for years and never get a cup.

Just think about the reason you see no American grown coffee advertised. We'd all buy it, wouldn't we?

I'd suggest storing a bunch of a variety of green beans from well known locations. Green coffee beans have a long shelf life, while roasted beans are best ground and brewed in a week or two.

Then concentrate coffee efforts on a good repeatable roast mix, a grind you and wifey are happy with and a daily brewing method that works for you.

Warning...
    The deeper you delve into good coffee, the more things change in your procedures. :)
    Ive thought about that and probably will but then id still run out at some point. I figured any drinkable coffee will be right up there with tobacco and ammunition as far as trading currency goes in a SHFT scenario. I know i can grow tobacco and ive already got plans to move into a building with a courtyard i can turn into a greenhouse etc...

Also, i drinks amazing coffee from The Refinery in Goshen on a daily basis. The cost is well worth the reward in my opinion lol.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ryandeleeuw340
    Top Bottom