• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • draftsman

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 5, 2012
    Greenfield
    Thanks HV. I was hoping someone could help me narrow the list of hundreds to a few dozen most commonly used. I assumed maybe a .CSV programing file or a list could be shared for the less advanced users.

*Edit. My radio can not establish connection to computer to be programmed. Anyone else having problems connecting to Chirp?

Last edited:

GLOCKMAN23C

Resident Dumbass II
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    S.E. Indy
    Thanks HV. I was hoping someone could help me narrow the list of hundreds to a few dozen most commonly used. I assumed maybe a .CSV programing file or a list could be shared for the less advanced users.

*Edit. My radio can not establish connection to computer to be programmed. Anyone else having problems connecting to Chirp?

Yes. Roll the driver back to 3.2.0.0. That should fix the problem.

Ballstater98

Certified Bro Shark
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 18, 2015
    NWI
    So, with the new house and all that entails, I'm knocking this out. I missed my goal. Now with winter approaching and we all duck in, I'm going to knock this out before February.

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    Anyone have a suggestion for the best study guide? I need to buy a paperback version for my dad & myself. One of these maybe?

https://www.amazon.com/Technician-C...6783234&sprefix=ham+radio+book,aps,151&sr=8-4
    https://www.amazon.com/Pass-Amateur...6783234&sprefix=ham+radio+book,aps,151&sr=8-7

Forget those....go look up KB6NU and download his FREE Technician Study Guide PDF and print it if you need to.

Then go to hamstudy.org and sign up (free) and start doing the flash cards over and over until you start hitting 80% on the practice exams.

Once you can hit 80% on a fairly regular basis, take the test and get your license. My 13 yr old grandson passed the first time, spent three weeks studying. He's remarkable of course.

Good luck!

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    Necro-bump!

I finally have a reason to power on these little radios. A Run-n-Gun event in TN will be using coms & simulating an enemy transmission. If you run the course with a radio & find clues to the enemy frequency, you can listen in and get tips on a course shortcut or bonus cache items. Sounds fun. I'm going to take a radio and hope it doesn't get wet. Last year's event I was in a swamp up to my chest!!

And to be a bit more thread relevant, here's the CHIRP programming cable used by many + the YouTube channel I've been watching...
    You can get the UV 5R / BTech GMRS V1 programming cable here: https://amzn.to/38Sie1q
    You can download the FREE CHIRP software, here: https://chirp.danplanet.com/projects/...

SnoopLoggyDog

I'm a Citizen, not a subject
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Warsaw
    Used this to get my Tech licence and took a class run by the Miami County Amateur Radio club.

The Howard County club also offers classes.

One great use for 2 meter radios is being able to listen to the Storm Spotter radio traffic during weather events. Gives you several minutes of lead time over reports from local news stations.

Jeepster48439

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Marion County
    Marion County CERT does a HAM licensing class twice a year. The next one is coming up in October. It is over two Saturdays and the testing is free. Since it is taught by the Elmer Network, the training and testing is open to all.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Dhlawson
    Top Bottom