Please reply by conversation.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Is there more to buy to make the rig work? Also, I can carry for delivery to Kokomo - Marion - Muncie - Anderson - Pendleton area.

The radio will work out of the box just the way it is.
    You can enter freq & program it (ie. store feq) via the buttons on it.
    That said it is a PITA to do it this way. It's much easier to use the free software and a USB program cable and the PC to program the little unit.

Thus why in this group buy we are also getting the cable.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Is there more to buy to make the rig work? Also, I can carry for delivery to Kokomo - Marion - Muncie - Anderson - Pendleton area.

Also note that while the radio works out of the box you can NOT LEGALY transmit with this radio without a HAM RADIO AMATEUR LICENSE from the FCC. Cost of license for 10 years is $14 and you have to take a multi-choice test to get the license.

You can use the radio to listen without a license.

----
    SOUTH BEND residents NavyDoc has agreed to pickup your radios when they come in if you would like one.

LockStocksAndBarrel

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Also note that while the radio works out of the box you can NOT LEGALY transmit with this radio without a HAM RADIO AMATEUR LICENSE from the FCC. Cost of license for 10 years is $14 and you have to take a multi-choice test to get the license.

----
    SOUTH BEND residents NavyDoc has agreed to pickup your radios when they come in if you would like one.[/QUOTE]

I'm in for one in black and the cable for programming. Do you have a Pay Pal account?

Thanks,

Stocks

And thanks to NavyDoc!

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30

----
    SOUTH BEND residents NavyDoc has agreed to pickup your radios when they come in if you would like one.[/QUOTE]

I'm in for one in black and the cable for programming. Do you have a Pay Pal account?

Thanks,

Stocks

And thanks to NavyDoc!

Yes on the PayPal account if you can send the money as a "gift" so there is no PayPal fee. Otherwise just mail a check.
    See PM for more info in a bit.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    For those of you out of the area (ie. south bend) you can mail me a check (PM for details) or do a PayPal transfer.

Here is how you can send money from PayPal to PayPal account without incurring a fee.

You either need to have the funds in your PayPal account or have your account linked to a bank account to do the transfer. Using a CC will not work.

1) Click Send Money
    2) Click on PERSONAL below the amount you enter
    3) Select GIFT
    4) Click continue
    5) In the comments add your INGO callsign please so I know who it is.

--
    The vendor who is going to supply us the radio advise that he will have the final invoice ready on the 5th. I suspect the price may drop a little more but do not know right now. If you send too much mone I will send you a check or PayPal transfer of the difference.

-Jedi

NavyVet

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 31, 2011
    Marshall County
    Just wanted to update my info regarding the group buy...

Jedi has me as NavyDoc, but NavyVet is my correct username.

I live in Marshall County, between Plymouth and Napannee. I work in Mishawaka near the Hummer plant. Once you let Jedi know that you want me to pickup your radios, shoot me a PM with your contact info, and I will reply with the same.

I travel in the area quite a bit, and there is a good chance, when the radios arrive, I will be able to meet you somewhere close.

andrew

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 17, 2011
    Where the fur traders sang
    I am sorry, I looked around and still can't figure it out...(Maybe my question will also help someone out.)

What is the purpose of this radio? You can hear other people talk? Who are these other people? Also... I will need to get a license to talk on the radio? Who would I be able to talk to?

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Jedi has me as NavyDoc, but NavyVet is my correct username.

Opps!!! I have updated my main post with your with correct Callsign. For some reason I equated work travel with doctor. :D

I am sorry, I looked around and still can't figure it out...(Maybe my question will also help someone out.)

What is the purpose of this radio? You can hear other people talk? Who are these other people? Also... I will need to get a license to talk on the radio? Who would I be able to talk to?

This link should give you more info:
    Amateur radio - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Very short answer.
    With this radio you can do the following:

- listen to FM radio
    - listen to NOAA weather reports
    - listen to your local police/emergency "channels" (ie. ambulance, etc..) provided they have not gone "digital"
    - listen to what is considered "amatuer" radio waves
    - transmit (ie. talk) on the "amatuer" radio frequencies
    PROVIDED you have an FCC $14 for 10 years license.

This radio can be used to connect to other people when all other forms of communications are down (ie. land lines, cell phones, etc.) as it does not require any type of service. You turn on your radio and you can transmit (on certain fequencies) and if someone else is on that fequency they can hear you and presto. It's the oldest form of moderm communication. This is a STARTER RADIO and it's range (by itself) is limited but with the use of repeaters (radios that can transmit your single at greater distances) you can talk to people farther away. It's a way to determine if HAM RADIOs is something you would like to get into. "good radios" cost $$$ hundreds of dollars but alas it's best to spend $50 determine OK I like this give me more then spend hundred and find out not for me.

In addition the radio is small and great for a bug out bag or to keep in the car in case of emegrencies.

Like I said unless you have a license from the FCC you can NOT transmit (the radio is cabple but you should not as it's illegal and you can get fined by the FCC) but you have a portable radio that can give you updated on the latest emregency type of news.

-Jedi

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Just an FYI.
    In order to obtain your FCC "HAM RADIO" license
    You must pass a multi-choice 35 question test in order to obtain your entry-level license.

So it's not just sending a check to the FCC for $14. Again you can still use the radio without a listen to "hear only".

-Jedi

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    This thread inspired me to purchase one of these radios from elsewhere and I have to say I am very impressed with it for its capabilities.

I've been a ham radio operator for 25 years now and I've spent many thousands of $$$ on handhelds over the years, but so far this thing cannot be beat. It's at least as good quality a radio as any of the little micro-hts I've had in the past for a third of the price and with a reasonably intuitive programming feature. And at these prices they are almost disposable. I've ordered 3 more. To the folks in on the group buy, it gets two thumbs up from me.

4sarge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    FREEDONIA
    This thread inspired me to purchase one of these radios from elsewhere and I have to say I am very impressed with it for its capabilities.

I've been a ham radio operator for 25 years now and I've spent many thousands of $$$ on handhelds over the years, but so far this thing cannot be beat. It's at least as good quality a radio as any of the little micro-hts I've had in the past for a third of the price and with a reasonably intuitive programming feature. And at these prices they are almost disposable. I've ordered 3 more. To the folks in on the group buy, it gets two thumbs up from me.

I'd be in for at least 2 ( 1 Yellow & 1 Black) and maybe can get 2 or 3 more folks to order, I'm West of you in Indiana. if you can add to your order or PM or Post the details and I'll order mine - Thanks in Advance :yesway:

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    I'd be in for at least 2 ( 1 Yellow & 1 Black) and maybe can get 2 or 3 more folks to order, I'm West of you in Indiana. if you can add to your order or PM or Post the details and I'll order mine - Thanks in Advance :yesway:

Jediagh is the person coordinating this group buy, I was just throwing in my support for this radio being worth the money.

4sarge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    FREEDONIA
    Jediagh is the person coordinating this group buy, I was just throwing in my support for this radio being worth the money.

I didn't want to drive as far North as Griffith, IN to pick up. Also a Fort Wayne GB but distance again is the problem. I hate to take my chances on EBAY. If either of you can give me the dealer order info, I'll buy direct - Thanks

Phil502

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    NW Indiana
    I'm in for 1 BLACK.
    Thanks shibumseeker for the review.
    Jediagh PM me the info on where to send the check, if it's not too late for you.

Status
    Please reply by conversation.
    Top Bottom