• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • diver dan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    DeMotte
    Coyotes need lots of hunting too. Those things have thrived around here over the years.
    I am on the lookout for them also , if they get too close to the pigs and cows in the pens , they will get a eviction shot also. But they are out of season right now , so long as I dont see them , and nothing gets killed around farm , they will be tolerated , out of sight , out of mind.

diver dan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    DeMotte
    If you find one far from his hole and you sneak up and get between him and his hole he will freeze. After a few trys to get around you he will just sit there nashing his teeth. You can honestly kill them with a baseball bat...
    Remember those teeth you talked about , getting that close might be a iffy endeavor , they are quite big , and if you trip and fall , you might end up needing a peg leg , LOL.

Lee11b

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 22, 2014
    North Webster
    If near corn, they seem to come out around 3pm to 430pm. That's when ripe corn seems to release an aroma they really like. Seen once how they went from different areas, pulling down single stocks of corn to nibble on,

duanewade

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 12, 2019
    Columbia City
    Took me a while to find a thread for this. I shoot groundhogs as soon as they come out in the spring and quit when they hibernate. My favorite gun used to be my mini-14 but out beyond 125-150 yards was pushing it. I picked up the Remington 783 in .223 a while back and I'm comfortable with 250 yard shots now. This one was taken this evening at about 150 yards, he's been very weary of me and seems like as soon as he hears the back door shut he was gone. I walked out the front door and he didn't get much of a chance to run this time.

I've taken them here on the farm with whatever I have close to me anywhere from a .22LR up to a .300 Win mag LOL.
    0a72ce707461ad320fa600e6e6ebd8de.jpg

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

STEEL CORE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Fishers
    While in the Army I saw one pop out of her hole at a range, I blasted her.
    Thought I was cool showing everyone else my marksmanship, but I didn’t have to kill her I just did, maybe there’s a hell where all the critters you killed as a boy till now from farm and field and forrest wait for you plus the ones you ever ran over. :)

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    I am on the lookout for them also , if they get too close to the pigs and cows in the pens , they will get a eviction shot also. But they are out of season right now , so long as I dont see them , and nothing gets killed around farm , they will be tolerated , out of sight , out of mind.
    This is a bad plan out of sight out of mind can lead to catastrophic loses, especially for a little guy, meaning non corporate farmer.

we have a zero tolerance policy for coyotes and ground hogs. Both can cause serious problems.

Farmerjon

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2010
    NorthWest Indiana
    Not complaining, our 3 year old Rott/Golden Retriever mix has cleaned out the possums and coons that were invading our barns and now has a new focus on groundhogs this year. Bought a 17 hmr for groundhogs but she is killing and bothering them to the point they have moved out. Not a bad problem at all.

State of Indiana, you can kill coyotes year round on your property if they are bothering livestock. And if they are on your farm, they can be considered bothering them so you are not limited to the season. With written landowner permission you can shoot them year round on other properties also.

HappyHunter

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 26, 2022
    North West Indiana
    My home is out in the woods. Have thinned the herd for years now, they are causing damage to brick pavers. 2nd floor window opens up slowly…44 mag fully suppress barrel rifle pops out the window and they fall dead in there tracks. Score big points with the better half.

Did not know young they where edible.

Good read

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Whistling sometimes works. An alarm is an alarm though and after decades of hunting them Ive never done it. Pops did a couple times.

Now when you shoot one on a bean field edge early, where a couple rows out a dead one would be visible to another back in the wooded den area.... You can pop one. Set him out.....and blast another that comes over to say hello.

Ive done that a few times.

Tried to line 3 pups up when running 75gr speer HP. Couldnt quite get em to cooperate so just blasted 2 w one shot.
    Called it and at the boom farmer comes out, i showed him two bodies. He was pretty happy.

Most of my old spots have been sold or have a house built in middle.

Fencerows and RR tracks gone, coyotes....it aint like it used fo be.

My record was 10 in one morning. Good was 2 to 3 in an evening w a few 5 and 6 chucks days. Kill a couple dozen a yr. Bud bought an old farm and mowed a neglected field. Popped 30 off it. Dads record for a diff field was 50, in one season. But that was when crops were rotated. Beans then corn. You didnt hunt corn years so survivors repopulated.

His old #1B in .22 250 looks like he beat a few to death w it. Shoots Norma factory ammo to .75 groups.
    While not the best, for an old #1 w factory ammo thats actually pretty good. I need to change the trigger and scope and see what itll do. Reload some Nosler BTs and see if I can get er to .5 or better

My dad got over 100 one yr, with no road hunting.

Last edited:
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 3, 2008
    central indiana
    Not complaining, our 3 year old Rott/Golden Retriever mix has cleaned out the possums and coons that were invading our barns and now has a new focus on groundhogs this year. Bought a 17 hmr for groundhogs but she is killing and bothering them to the point they have moved out. Not a bad problem at all.

State of Indiana, you can kill coyotes year round on your property if they are bothering livestock. And if they are on your farm, they can be considered bothering them so you are not limited to the season. With written landowner permission you can shoot them year round on other properties also.
    they don't have to be bothering livestock, both coyote and groundhog are open season year round on private property. non owners just need written permission from the owners.

JTClark

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 28, 2022
    America
    My home is out in the woods. Have thinned the herd for years now, they are causing damage to brick pavers. 2nd floor window opens up slowly…44 mag fully suppress barrel rifle pops out the window and they fall dead in there tracks. Score big points with the better half.

Did not know young they where edible.

Good read
    Live trap, some lettuce or cabbage, and a mouse trap will wipe them out completely.

Trapper Jim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Arcadia
    Actually back in the day we made a game of it. Nub bean plant evidence showed us the way. Our Fulton County Trio enjoyed the rules we laid down. We glassed the killing zone and laid out our platform as far away as possible. We put a point value on distance, size, die time and extra points for no exit wound. Drawing straws determined who went first. We could glass all we want and as spotters watched the action of flipping chucks. No one could shoot until after the report of who was up.

JD used a Browning 1885 in .22-250 with a 12 Power fixed Leupold. Wish there would be a better variety of FX scopes today. DP and I used a Rem 700 Varmit with a 6.5 x 20 Leupold in 22-250.

The round I remember winning was a 423 yard instant kill in the head with no exit wound. I had to watch him for several minutes as we were in line with some cows in the background. As he inched devouring the bean row to the west a rock was obstructing justice in the moment. Just a little more and the 40 Gr Sierra did its job. Bean leaf still in its mouth.

We had so much fun with our Chuck Camps. Of course we shot many with all kinds of pistols up close. Anything under 75 yards was against our standards to use any Centerfire Rifle. Rim fires and pistols of all calibers were our close quarter guns.

I have had them forge ahead after being body shot with a 44Magnum stringing their insides along the weeds. When we got lazy once in awhile we would knock a few off with our 870’s.

We did pressure cook a few younger ones but nothing to write home about. One thing that we did not like back in the day, is when some hunter or hunters would hang the carcass over the fence. In our opinion, this was tacky, disrespectful and unfair to the worms, insects and buzzards.

I am still invited to shoot Varmin by the Grandson who now owns the farm. However, his dad put a stop to all hunting in ‘85 as they shot up his diesel fuel tank, dusk to dawn lights and he heard various mag dumps going on. Fences tore down, dogs shot at and stray rounds found in the silo put at end to his generosity.

I still go out when I can and have since replace the Sierra Varmiter with Hornady VMax 40 Gr.

See you on the range

Trapper

Last edited:
    Top Bottom