• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    I mentioned in another thread that I was on the the summer staff at Maumee Boy Scout Reservation in about 1974-1978.

In those days there was no chow hall. The boys did “patrol method cooking.” Every afternoon each patrol sent a couple boys to pickup food at the commissary for the next 24hrs, along with instructions on how to cook it. At beginning of the week each patrol was issued a set of Boy Scout cooking gear, including a cast iron skillet, a dutch oven, and a sheepherder stove. If you cleaned the top of the stove you could cook directly on it, since the sheepherder was basically a big iron box heated by burning wood inside of it. Staff members were divided up and assigned to each patrol so we could get fed. It didn't take long to realize that it was wise to show up early and help the boys with the cooking. One of my buddies got to breakfast one morning and discovered his patrol had mixed the pancake mix with pickle juice!

Anyway, I got a lot of time in cooking and cleaning cast iron and didn’t realize it was a “thing.” I thought cast iron was something you used only when camping.

One of the highlights of the week was a peach cobbler made in the dutch oven, and home (or patrol) made ice cream. The commissary issued a crank ice cream maker and extra ice for that. I always made sure I was there early to supervise that night.

1DOWN4UP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 25, 2015
    North of 30
    A guy who was downsizing his storage unit gave me a Griswold chicken fryer set (I think that’s what they call it). One very deep skillet for deep frying, and a regular depth skillet. They have a sort of hinge connector that lets the shallower skillet sit upside down on top of the deep one kinda like a lid.

Anyway, I looked up the history of Griswold and was impressed, so I stripped both of them and re-season them. The Griswold and Wagner website was very helpful with this. Unfortunately, the shallow skillet has a slight concave to the bottom, so it doesn’t sit quite flat on a stove. Still quite usable, just annoying. The big one is perfect. We’re happy with them.
    That is a very rare piece.

Lmo1131

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2020
    east of the Pacific
    I flip my over-easy eggs and omelets without utensils, so I don't know that they make a cast iron skillet that will allow that.

Actually, they do. Well, the Japanese do... I bought this 10" Iwachu omelet skillet a couple of years ago; lighter in weight than 'Merican cast iron, the handle is ventilated, and the sides are sloped more. Not cheap though... $120. But, it is nice to look at.

1684596929722.png

1684597134962.png

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Actually, they do. Well, the Japanese do... I bought this 10" Iwachu omelet skillet a couple of years ago; lighter in weight than 'Merican cast iron, the handle is ventilated, and the sides are sloped more. Not cheap though... $120. But, it is nice to look at.

View attachment 277148

View attachment 277149
    Found this one on that site for 6500 - 8000 yen ($47.11 - 57.98). That's not too bad.

1684599793647.png

Shadow01

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2011
    WCIn
    We broke down and purchased a 12" Lodge.
    It came pre-seasoned from the factory, but the Mrs. did an additional seasoning to it.
    I can't say I'm fully impressed with it.
    It had a little sticking of the sausage, but the pan cleaned up well with hot water and a plastic scratch pad.
    Heated it on the stove right after washing and oiled it while it was still hot. Looks like new.
    The reason I'm not impressed, is I was expecting much better flavor, like something grandma would serve from cast iron.
    It was slightly better tasting, but not notably better than the Calphalon I normally use, that doesn't require
    tedious care.
    I'll keep with it for a while, to see if the flavor improves, but it could possibly end up in the bottom of the cabinet.
    I think when it's time to re-season, I'll sand the texture off the inside bottom beforehand. I hate sanding cast iron; I
    will taste metal for several days. Even with using a respirator.
    It improves with use. Each meal cooked adds to the seasoning. I’ve cooked so much bacon in mine that it fills the kitchen with bacon smell when I first heat up the pan.

Shadow01

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2011
    WCIn
    I can barely lift the pan, so no eggs will be flipping without the help of a utensil around here. :nono:
    Vintage cast is quite a bit lighter. Check out some of the local festivals. Usually a lot available during covered bridge in and around park county. Take a 10 to 12 inch wooden ruler to check the bottom inside for flatness. They won’t be perfect, but you don’t want one with a big bow up in the center.

indyblue

Guns & Pool Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indy Northside `O=o-
    I flip my over-easy eggs and omelets without utensils, so I don't know that they make a cast iron skillet that will allow that.
    I had a 4 inch pan that was perfect for two eggs, and I could easily flip them in it. I used it so much I bet the seasoning on it was 1/32 inch thick.

But, alas, I overheated it one day and cracked it. It’s just a hairline, but enough to ruin the pan.

TheGrumpyGuy

Get off my lawn!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 12, 2020
    SE Indy
    Never had any cast iron in the house while growing up that I can recall, other than a few trivets that were used quite a bit.

Thanks to reading this thread, though, I was able to pick up a #10 dutch oven at our annual church rummage sale (I did some 'pre-sale' shopping on my way home from work last night since the sale didn't officially start until 7am today). It was priced at $10. Found out one of my friends who was working the sale today snagged the matching 8" & 10" skillets that someone had also donated, and he was hoping to get this item too, but I messed up his plan by sneaking in and shopping early.

If my research is correct, this piece is from the 30's, but I'll let the experts here determine what era it is

G top.JPG
    G bottom.JPG

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Never had any cast iron in the house while growing up that I can recall, other than a few trivets that were used quite a bit.

Thanks to reading this thread, though, I was able to pick up a #10 dutch oven at our annual church rummage sale (I did some 'pre-sale' shopping on my way home from work last night since the sale didn't officially start until 7am today). It was priced at $10. Found out one of my friends who was working the sale today snagged the matching 8" & 10" skillets that someone had also donated, and he was hoping to get this item too, but I messed up his plan by sneaking in and shopping early.

If my research is correct, this piece is from the 30's, but I'll let the experts here determine what era it is

View attachment 280524
    View attachment 280525
    1686268083917.png

Lpherr

Occupied
    Made sausage gravy again this morning, and only had very little sticking after the milk began to thicken.
    I guess I'll continue to use the Lodge for gravy, and I'll have to try some bacon soon.

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 18, 2009
    SE Indy
    I cooked some fried potatoes on the side burner on my outside grill. I emptied the pan into a bowl and brought them in. I forgot to turn the burner off and it seasoned that pan for about 3 hours untill my pissed off wife found the burner was left on.
    Best thing that ever happened to that pan.
    I cooked burgers and bacon in it the next day and Wow...the difference was amazing. Like Teflon

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    We broke down and purchased a 12" Lodge.
    It came pre-seasoned from the factory, but the Mrs. did an additional seasoning to it.
    I can't say I'm fully impressed with it.
    It had a little sticking of the sausage, but the pan cleaned up well with hot water and a plastic scratch pad.
    Heated it on the stove right after washing and oiled it while it was still hot. Looks like new.
    The reason I'm not impressed, is I was expecting much better flavor, like something grandma would serve from cast iron.
    It was slightly better tasting, but not notably better than the Calphalon I normally use, that doesn't require
    tedious care.
    I'll keep with it for a while, to see if the flavor improves, but it could possibly end up in the bottom of the cabinet.
    I think when it's time to re-season, I'll sand the texture off the inside bottom beforehand. I hate sanding cast iron; I
    will taste metal for several days. Even with using a respirator.

If you want it to "taste like Grandma's", you need to get it as used as Grandma's.

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    Fried 2lbs of bacon in a cast iron skillet on a Weber kettle grill.

Tomorow's planned breakfast is fried potatoes with onions and peppers followed by eggs over easy on cast iron.

Nothing sticks to this cast iron!

Top Bottom