• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ramick

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Huntington
    I am looking at getting a .357 wheel gun, and have narrowed my choices down to a Ruger GP 100 or S&W mdl 19 Combat Magnum. I would like to hear from those of you who own or have shot either of these weapons. Your opinions and experiences will be very helpfull in making my decision. Any input you have would be great, Thanks.

andyrping

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Greensburg, Pennsylvania
    I am looking at getting a .357 wheel gun, and have narrowed my choices down to a Ruger GP 100 or S&W mdl 19 Combat Magnum. I would like to hear from those of you who own or have shot either of these weapons. Your opinions and experiences will be very helpfull in making my decision. Any input you have would be great, Thanks.

GP100 all the way. Buy one and be set for life. No worries about frames stretching or having to get your timing fixed. Triple locking cylinder and extra meat where it counts. Trigger may be a little stiff at first, but will smooth up with time. Just my thoughts. S&W is still nice though and would be my third choice after a Security Six.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I've had both the K and N frame Smiths and like them, shot Pythons, beautiful guns, but the GP-100 is the best revolver for the money I have used. :)

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    GP100. I'm just a big fan of Ruger revolvers. They are built as stout as can be, accurate, feel good in my hand. Smiths will usually have nicer triggers, but not enough nicer that I won't take a Ruger over a Smith every chance I get.

cce1302

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Back down south
    Both. Honestly you can't go wrong with either. I have never owned a model 19, but I have a GP100 and a S&W Model 327. I love both. I was given the GP100, and bought the Smith later. I will most likely buy more .357s in the future, one of them being a model 19, and, who knows, maybe an SP101. You certainly are on the right track with caliber and brand.

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    I have a 19-3, the last of the pinned and recessed. I like it a lot. The trigger is amazing.

If someone offered to trade a GP100 for it... I'd have a hard time knowing what to do. I'm a big Ruger fan too.

I don't know that one is better than the other, just different, I guess it would depend what I was going to do with it.

I got the 19-3 in a trade, and is the first gun I go to when a new shooter wants to learn how to shoot. That says a lot.

The revolvers I actually spent money on are Rugers, so that says a lot too.

If I were going to hunt or explore the world of full house magnum loads the choice is obvious - Ruger. Otherwise I think it's a toss up.

clt46910

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Akron Indiana
    Which one feels better in your hand? I personally like the S&W 2 1/2 inch round butt model 19 or 66. I have one of each. The Ruger is just a good gun, even a little stronger build. Had a couple in the pass. I just like the feel of the Smiths better.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    The GP100 is a little heavier than a comparable M19 (4 oz. in 4"), but it will handle a steady diet of .357's w/no problem. A steady diet of .357s may shoot a M19 loose in your lifetime depending how much you shoot and how heavy the loads are. This is pretty well documented.

The GP100 is currently manufactured. The Model 19 is not.

I also like how the GP100's field strip for cleaning. Getting inside a Model 19 is do-able, but less convenient.

Don't discount the Ruger Security-Six if you happen to see one on sale. Every bit as durable as the GP100. They were only redesigned into the GP series to reduce mfg. costs and make a profitable revolver, not because there was a weakness with the design. Chuck Hawks once knew of a Security-Six used as a rental that digested approx 1.4 million rounds w/ minimal maintenance and no parts breakage. Good revolvers.

Last edited:

Airwolf

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 22, 2009
    Terre Haute, IN
    If you want to shoot a lot of magnum rounds, then the Ruger for sure. The 19 was one of Bill Jordan's favorite handguns so you know it is good too. I was told that in a 19 you need to shoot one magnum for every six .38's to keep the forcing cone from wearing out. Not sure how true that is though.

andyrping

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Greensburg, Pennsylvania
    Just curious... If you're considering a S&W, how come a model 19 and not an L frame? I suppose price would be a major factor. If cost isn't a factor, I would think that would be sort of a "compromise" between the GP100 and the Model 19. If it was me, I would still go for the Ruger though.

holejack1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 20, 2009
    South West Indiana
    I've had both S&W and Ruger revolvers, and I have to say I prefer the Smiths, mostly for the better triggers, but also for their appearance. Rugers are fine guns, rough and tough, but not as pretty, and not as slick or crisp on the DA and SA triggers.

ramick

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Huntington
    Just curious... If you're considering a S&W, how come a model 19 and not an L frame? I suppose price would be a major factor. If cost isn't a factor, I would think that would be sort of a "compromise" between the GP100 and the Model 19. If it was me, I would still go for the Ruger though.

I suppose the bigest reason for the mdl 19 is that I have handled it before and it has been called the greatest pistol S&W ever produced. Also Bill jordan knew what he was doing when he got S&W to produce the 19.

Steve

Master
    Rating - 100%
    84   0   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Carried a S&W 66 for years (2 3/4" barrel). Had Ruger Security Six before that. If you want a pretty gun, get the S&W. If you want a lifetime gun, Ruger all the way. Kinda like the plain girl you take to the dance. You can have a good time dancing with her and she's grateful to be out and being shown off.

Both are probably the finest revovlers made today (sorry Colt fans), and you can't go wrong with either one. The Smith will set you back a few bucks more and hold it's value superbly, but the Ruger is a close 2nd. Field stripping a Ruger is a peice of cake ( I won many a bet doing it blindfolded back in the day), but plan or a bit of patience with a Smith.

Why did I switch? Vanity. Many times I wished I hadn't. Oh, the follies of youth.

AverageMidwest

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Fishers
    Ruger is a stronger piece.....from what i've read, the problem with the Model 19 (and 66) was that it didn't hold up well to a full time diet of magnum loads, which is why Smith & Wesson came up with the L frame. I've got a 686 that is great, but I've shot a GP100 and it's fine too. Ruger will last a lifetime. Of course you could always give into temptation and get both........

mospeada

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Bloomington
    I've owned a model 19-3 2.5" S&W and that's the only gun I don't have anymore that I wished like hell I did. It shot incredibly well and handled even better. I've never owned a GP100 but I have owned enough Ruger revolvers to know it wouldn't come close to the S&W.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    One question to ask yourself might be whether you want this revolver for a shooter, or for a 'nice to have' gun. Personally, I find that my Smiths tend to stay in the safe more (because I want to keep them nice), and I end up using the Rugers. The Smiths tend to be for special occasions - especially, models that "they ain't makin' no more."

Yet another factor to consider. YMMV.

dbd870

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2009
    I agree it would depend on what you are going to use it for. The 19 is far more preferable to me for double action work, the GP would make a nice field gun. The forcing cone issue with the K frames were with the 125's in particular. Stay away from them in the K frame (a good idea in general anyway) and use a heavier bullet and you would be fine.

Top Bottom