• ...and so much more!
  • gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    This was the newest thread on red dots that I found via Google advanced search so I'm resurrecting it, especially since I know some of you guys.

I have a BSA cheapie on my Mark II. Took my wife to the range last weekend. She loved it. So I'm thinking I want to pick up a better one. The current one does not get quite bright enough out in the sun. The dot gets washed out against a paper target. I think I can get her out with me more with decent red dot which would be fun.

There is also the possibility it will make it's way onto my 9 if I don't defeat my vision issues.

I'm thinking 3-4 moa dot, not too large. Is top access battery really important? How often do you have to change batteries?

I'll look at the Sightmark and Leupold. What else?

Edited to remove C More from mix. Too rich for what I'm looking for, lol.

Also, I just kinda randomly picked MOA size based on a couple articles I read. Do you guys have other ideas on MOA size?

Last edited:

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    This was the newest thread on red dots that I found via Google advanced search so I'm resurrecting it, especially since I know some of you guys.

I have a BSA cheapie on my Mark II. Took my wife to the range last weekend. She loved it. So I'm thinking I want to pick up a better one. The current one does not get quite bright enough out in the sun. The dot gets washed out against a paper target. I think I can get her out with me more with decent red dot which would be fun.

There is also the possibility it will make it's way onto my 9 if I don't defeat my vision issues.

I'm thinking 3-4 moa dot, not too large. Is top access battery really important? How often do you have to change batteries?

I'll look at the Sightmark, C More, and Leupold. What else?

I really like the Bushnell Trs-25s. Have one on a 9mm sub 2000, a HiPoint 45 carbine, and a 10 5" ar pistol in 223. Haven't had a single issue on any of those calibers thru 1000s of rounds between them. And if you catch them on sale, can be had around $50. Psa has it right now with a set of magpul mbus for, I believe $90 shipped. Hard to beat that deal

2-Alpha

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 8, 2018
    Indianapolis area
    I've never thought my BSA 30mm wasn't bright enough, but I guess my targets are partially shaded.

Is the battery fresh? I do notice I have to turn it up higher as the battery weakens.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I've never thought my BSA 30mm wasn't bright enough, but I guess my targets are partially shaded.

Is the battery fresh? I do notice I have to turn it up higher as the battery weakens.

i put a fresh battery in and will try it this morning. Last week on 11, it was tough to see. Ended up shooting the black portion of the target.

JHB

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 7, 2016
    Columbus
    With brightness of the dot being equal the big dot will be easier to pickup. Inside shooting a bullseye match you want a small dot and can get away with less brightness because the room is dark compared to full sun in an open field. Shooting steel or plinking in bright sun a big bright dot works better for me.

The next thing to consider is your eyes. I can get away with a Vortex Venom with a 3 min. dot for an indoor bullseye match but to shoot an outdoor steel match in full sun I need a 12 min. C More.

The old saying of buy once cry once is true do you really want to cheap out on a sight that you use often. You will regret buying a cheap sight longer then the extra money for the better sight.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    With brightness of the dot being equal the big dot will be easier to pickup. Inside shooting a bullseye match you want a small dot and can get away with less brightness because the room is dark compared to full sun in an open field. Shooting steel or plinking in bright sun a big bright dot works better for me.

The next thing to consider is your eyes. I can get away with a Vortex Venom with a 3 min. dot for an indoor bullseye match but to shoot an outdoor steel match in full sun I need a 12 min. C More.

The old saying of buy once cry once is true do you really want to cheap out on a sight that you use often. You will regret buying a cheap sight longer then the extra money for the better sight.

I don't want to totally cheap out but the C-More is just more than I am willing to spend. If I knew that I was going t mount it on my pistol and use it for gaming, I would just buy the best. But in all likelihood it will stay on the .22 for my wife to shoot. I took her out again today with a fresh battery and cloudy skies. The dot was easy to pick up.

She was cleaning the Texas star and dropping the plate rack without a miss! She could use what's on it, but I think it's really designed for an airgun and I do like nicer things, lol.

My thinking is put a moderate one on for her and if I get the bug, I'll buy another red dot for mine and upgrade at that point. With a much fun as she is having, I wouldn't leave her without one at this point.:)

T-DOGG

I'm Spicy, deal with it.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.6%
    263   1   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Haven
    I don't want to totally cheap out but the C-More is just more than I am willing to spend. If I knew that I was going t mount it on my pistol and use it for gaming, I would just buy the best. But in all likelihood it will stay on the .22 for my wife to shoot. I took her out again today with a fresh battery and cloudy skies. The dot was easy to pick up.

She was cleaning the Texas star and dropping the plate rack without a miss! She could use what's on it, but I think it's really designed for an airgun and I do like nicer things, lol.

My thinking is put a moderate one on for her and if I get the bug, I'll buy another red dot for mine and upgrade at that point. With a much fun as she is having, I wouldn't leave her without one at this point.:)
    Sig Romeo5
    Can usually be had for around $120.
    Lots of features and reliable, there's a video of a guy shooting it up close with a shotgun. I've had 4 or 5 on various rifles & pistols. Comes with high (AR height) and low (pretty much everything else) mounts. Long battery life (CR2032). Motion activated, so it turns off after 2 minutes of non-use and back on with motion.

nipprdog

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Jan 11, 2009
    Tippecanoe county

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I finally got to check some out and have decided on a Vortex Venom 3 MOA red dot. Now I will look for one. It appears new they are $229 everywhere. Does Vortex fix the prices on these?

I'll look around for a better price or wait awhile and see if a used one pops up. Thanks everyone for the input!

T-DOGG

I'm Spicy, deal with it.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.6%
    263   1   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Haven
    I finally got to check some out and have decided on a Vortex Venom 3 MOA red dot. Now I will look for one. It appears new they are $229 everywhere. Does Vortex fix the prices on these?

I'll look around for a better price or wait awhile and see if a used one pops up. Thanks everyone for the input!
    Order from Alan, which supports a local company and a great guy at the same time.

https://aaoptics.com/Venom_c_50.html

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    i've got 3 cmores, i know you said that you dont want to spend that much, but even on the brightest days, the dot is still bright, and looks perfect

NOW if you want (and i hate chinese copies I.E. ripoffs) i know people who buy the ebay/ali express cmore knock offs (about 40 bucks) they put them on rimfires and their only complaint is that the dot is fuzzy, BUT the cmore dot modules will fit, so 40 for the knock off cmore, plus 50 for the cmore dot module= less than 100 bucks for a "cmore"

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington

Ah, thanks. Not really like the Vortex I'm looking at but I'm sure it's fine. They get good reviews but seem to be more popular with the PCC and rifle crowd. I imagine that has to do with the size of it. I just don't want something that large on my pistol. And I'm looking for 3 MOA, not 8.

The comparable C-Mores are running around $400+.

Top Bottom