Good idea to change trigger in carry gun?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DSmith78

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 29, 2012
    Indiana
    I carry a glock 43 been thinking about upgrading the trigger. While doing some research online i noticed some articles and forums saying if you had to use it a lawyer could hold that against you kinda like using some gimmicky ammo. Any truth to this?

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    Forgetting the legal side, which I think it dubious...

Why would you want to alter a reliable firearm you trust your life to every day, with aftermarket gee-wiz parts? Especially something as critical as the trigger system.

I strongly recommend against this. Leave the gee-wiz stuff to your range guns.
    I've seen countless aftermarket connectors give up the ghost on people at the worst times and result in a completely non-functional firearm, even though they told me for years how great it was and that it was just as reliable as the factory one.

On an AR15 or a 1911, it's a bit different as long as you go with quality components that are correctly made.

Ziggidy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 7, 2018
    Ziggidyville
    I carry a glock 43 been thinking about upgrading the trigger. While doing some research online i noticed some articles and forums saying if you had to use it a lawyer could hold that against you kinda like using some gimmicky ammo. Any truth to this?

Just curious, why would you want to?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    I personally think the legal risk is greatly overblown and exaggerated. If a situation warrants lethal force, it really shouldn't matter. Could some anti-gun prosecutor try to make a big deal out of it and try and paint you as a blood thirsty vigilante? I guess it's possible, but they likely would do that anyway if they hate guns that much, regardless of the trigger.

That said, an aftermarket trigger isn't going to wallpaper over bad fundamentals, so if you're trying to buy accuracy through upgraded parts, you're on a wild goose chase. If you're already accurate with a factory trigger but just don't like the feel of it, go ahead and upgrade.

Just don't expect an expensive trigger will fix bad habits like a poor grip or a bad trigger press.

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    Aha! That "proper training" idea pops up yet again. If you're gonna' carry it, train/practice with it regardless of what mods you do to it.

That said, I'd have no interest in a 2 lb trigger in a pistol. I like Ghost connectors and they are nowhere near that. My trigger gauge says 4.5.

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    Whatever makes you happy and want to practice with the firearm. A 3 pound break on a defensive weapon is too light, but a smooth 5 pound trigger is a joy to shoot.

I switched over to H&K light LEM triggers and I don't think I'll ever change. My favorite next to a 1911.

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    Whatever makes you happy and want to practice with the firearm. A 3 pound break on a defensive weapon is too light, but a smooth 5 pound trigger is a joy to shoot.

I switched over to H&K light LEM triggers and I don't think I'll ever change. My favorite next to a 1911.

H&K's own home grown components are a FAR CRY from a 3rd party manufacturer claiming their parts are "JUST AS GOOD!"

If it's able to be done by a factory certified armorer, it's good to go. You'll never find a glock certified armorer who would put an altered or aftermarket part in a glock.

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    I would have no problem improving a trigger.

I would not engrave "you're ****ed" on a firearm though. History shows others have a different opinion.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    In my G43 I done the polish thing on the fire control friction points. Added a Ghost Pro connector and safety plunger spring to bring the weight down to 3.5#. The tuned connector works as a trigger stop, which I find helpful. I ran the G43 in a few steel matches before completely trusting the gun for carry. I would advise doing the same for any modified or even stock carry gun.

There are some really sweet aftermarket triggers out there for Glocks. Personally, I want a slightly nicer stock setup. I'm less concerned about the legalities and more concerned about being able to pick up a bone stock Glock and still do well with it.

Last time I followed it, Taran Butler and Johnny Glock were pretty nuts about the then new Timney Glock trigger in Gen 5's. When trigger building guys rave about the aftermarket competition. Hmmm? Don't think Timney makes one for the G43 though.

FYI - expensive Glock triggers are a poor investment that you will never see a good return on. In the gun or out, you will have trouble finding buyers to justify your investment.

Last edited:

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    ^^^
    I have gotten to shoot that Timney trigger it is most definitely the "best" Glock trigger I have ever shot. My Walther Q4 SF is better but that Glock comes close.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I could go on for hours about this but truth rides with Alpo’s post but I like 4.5 much better. Smooth and a clear crisp break is the goal. That’s on a 1911. On a G**** I have no direct experience just 2nd hand opinions.
    On the pieces I have shot any improvement would be worth the effort but as with all things there are limits we need to observe and respect.
    Knowing your limits.

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Just not a fan of the trigger
    A Glock will never be a 1911 but can, IMHO be greatly improved without affecting reliability. My EDC is 3.5 and 4 pounds without changing any parts other than the connector (Gen 5 generally doesn't need a connector change) and the connector I use is a Ghost copy of a Glock minus connector. Safety is stationed between your ears and in training no matter what you are carrying.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I have no problem with improving a bad trigger as long as it’s done with quality parts and is kept safe. My standard recipe on a Glock has been an improved trigger shoe and a + factory connector. That combination gives me a bit of a wall, which I prefer. The trigger fits my needs better that way.

On a classic Sig, the Gray Guns trigger mimics the factory Legion feel. Tuning a trigger makes a gun more safe as long as the pull remains above 4#

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    The current Glock triggers are very good. You will see more improvement from 10 minutes a day of quality dry fire and spending the money you'd spend on an aftermarket trigger for range time and ammo. Going by 'feels' the aftermarket trigger may 'feel' nicer. I bet you a shiny nickel you won't see signifcant differences on target/timer under time pressure. You aren't building a PPC gun and you won't be doing 3 second trigger pulls. I've found over the years that the better and the fundamentals I got the less hardware mattered.

On the legal side, I used to present self-defense shootings (and others) to prosecutors for charging decisions. If it's a bright line good shoot it will not matter. If it's a bright line bad shoot it will not matter. There is a certain sliver of gray where it may become a talking point. Courtroom trials are not about establishing the truth, that's a naive belief at best. Trials are about building a narrative within the established rules. Remember that witnesses are under oath, lawyers are not. They don't have to believe the theory they put to the jury, and if they can paint you in an unfavorable light that is literally their job. Your lawyer's job is to put you in the most favorable light, and you will pay him each hour he's doing that.

Everyone imagines their shoot has a trumpeting angel overhead declaring it righteous to the world. Those are the "if it's a good shoot, it's a good shoot" people. Ask those people how many cases or trials they've been involved in. The truth is messier, and sometimes the angel is on vacation. It's always a bit odd that "it's not the odds, it's the stakes" would only apply to carrying a handgun and not also to surviving the legal aftermath.

The "the safety is between my ears" folks are right, but nobody is zero defect. Everybody thinks they always keep their finger off the trigger, etc. Video often shows a different story, especially under extreme stress and unusual circumstances.

Finally, is the aftermarket trigger as reliable? Is it drop safe?

I do not modify trigger systems on Glocks, and I do not modify any other gun's trigger in any way that the factory does not. For example, most of my Sigs are short reset triggers. If I buy one that is not a SRT, I will convert it so that it's samey-samey as my others.

ACC

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   1
    Mar 7, 2012
    N. Side of Indy
    My $.02

I think the legal exposure you might have is less with modified internals/accessories (like a trigger/sights upgrade) and more if you have things like the Punisher logo or "Smile & wait for the flash" rear slide cover plates, etc. If your gun looks like a vigilante tool, you might have that brought up against you in court. With a trigger upgrade, you could always argue you did that to be more accurate with your gun to avoid hitting people standing in the vicinity.

As for if you should use an aftermarket trigger in a carry gun....I do in MANY of my EDC guns. So long as they are a reputable and proven trigger with a pull weight that is not excessively light, then I see no problem with it. Just make sure to run liots of rounds through your gun to ensure the trigger works properly.

Top Bottom