Good idea to change trigger in carry gun?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    With a trigger upgrade, you could always argue you did that to be more accurate with your gun to avoid hitting people standing in the vicinity.

This is true. It's also true that, in legal land, arguing costs money. Some modifications are easier to sell if questioned, such as sights. Trigger mods may be an issue if the claim is you accidentally shot but are now making up your story to cover it up or for general narrative building purposes.

BigRed3588

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 4, 2013
    Boynton Beach
    I carry a glock 43 been thinking about upgrading the trigger. While doing some research online i noticed some articles and forums saying if you had to use it a lawyer could hold that against you kinda like using some gimmicky ammo. Any truth to this?
    I’ve heard this before but don’t put any stock into it. I don’t modify the triggers on my EDCs, but it has nothing to do with legal ramifications. As far as I’m concerned, the engineers designing the weapon are probably more knowledgeable than those designing aftermarket parts. If they could’ve designed a better trigger without some trade off, they probably would have.

That said, I wouldn’t hesitate to modify the trigger in your EDC if that’s what you want to do. You cannot legally shoot someone unless you feel your life is in danger, and you cannot legally shoot to wound. If you shoot, you shoot to neutralize the threat. If a prosecutor tries to say the gun was altered in an attempt to make it more lethal, the response is simple. “I modified the weapon in a manner that I felt optimized my chance for survival in a self-defense situation. My life was in danger and I used the weapon for it’s intended purpose.”

ECS686

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    Brazil
    The current Glock triggers are very good. You will see more improvement from 10 minutes a day of quality dry fire and spending the money you'd spend on an aftermarket trigger for range time and ammo. Going by 'feels' the aftermarket trigger may 'feel' nicer. I bet you a shiny nickel you won't see signifcant differences on target/timer under time pressure. You aren't building a PPC gun and you won't be doing 3 second trigger pulls. I've found over the years that the better and the fundamentals I got the less hardware mattered.

On the legal side, I used to present self-defense shootings (and others) to prosecutors for charging decisions. If it's a bright line good shoot it will not matter. If it's a bright line bad shoot it will not matter. There is a certain sliver of gray where it may become a talking point. Courtroom trials are not about establishing the truth, that's a naive belief at best. Trials are about building a narrative within the established rules. Remember that witnesses are under oath, lawyers are not. They don't have to believe the theory they put to the jury, and if they can paint you in an unfavorable light that is literally their job. Your lawyer's job is to put you in the most favorable light, and you will pay him each hour he's doing that.

Everyone imagines their shoot has a trumpeting angel overhead declaring it righteous to the world. Those are the "if it's a good shoot, it's a good shoot" people. Ask those people how many cases or trials they've been involved in. The truth is messier, and sometimes the angel is on vacation. It's always a bit odd that "it's not the odds, it's the stakes" would only apply to carrying a handgun and not also to surviving the legal aftermath.

The "the safety is between my ears" folks are right, but nobody is zero defect. Everybody thinks they always keep their finger off the trigger, etc. Video often shows a different story, especially under extreme stress and unusual circumstances.

Finally, is the aftermarket trigger as reliable? Is it drop safe?

I do not modify trigger systems on Glocks, and I do not modify any other gun's trigger in any way that the factory does not. For example, most of my Sigs are short reset triggers. If I buy one that is not a SRT, I will convert it so that it's samey-samey as my others.

^^THIS^^^ My experience the last 30 years. The biggest way to make a Glock (or any Striker fired) to fail when I have seen them go down is most Aftermarket non OEM parts. Specifically the trigger, But YouTube trigger job, recoil springs, reloads etc contributed.

So its more of a reliably issue than a liability issue.

Last edited:

Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    Once you step into a courtroom ANYTHING can happen. A lawyer, a jury or a Judge can all hang you out to dry even if you did nothing wrong. A lawyer can claim you modified a gun with no proof that you did. Welcome to the nuthouse. Try very hard to stay out of the Courthouse.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 7, 2021
    central indiana
    The current Glock triggers are very good. You will see more improvement from 10 minutes a day of quality dry fire and spending the money you'd spend on an aftermarket trigger for range time and ammo. Going by 'feels' the aftermarket trigger may 'feel' nicer. I bet you a shiny nickel you won't see signifcant differences on target/timer under time pressure. You aren't building a PPC gun and you won't be doing 3 second trigger pulls. I've found over the years that the better and the fundamentals I got the less hardware mattered.

On the legal side, I used to present self-defense shootings (and others) to prosecutors for charging decisions. If it's a bright line good shoot it will not matter. If it's a bright line bad shoot it will not matter. There is a certain sliver of gray where it may become a talking point. Courtroom trials are not about establishing the truth, that's a naive belief at best. Trials are about building a narrative within the established rules. Remember that witnesses are under oath, lawyers are not. They don't have to believe the theory they put to the jury, and if they can paint you in an unfavorable light that is literally their job. Your lawyer's job is to put you in the most favorable light, and you will pay him each hour he's doing that.

Everyone imagines their shoot has a trumpeting angel overhead declaring it righteous to the world. Those are the "if it's a good shoot, it's a good shoot" people. Ask those people how many cases or trials they've been involved in. The truth is messier, and sometimes the angel is on vacation. It's always a bit odd that "it's not the odds, it's the stakes" would only apply to carrying a handgun and not also to surviving the legal aftermath.

The "the safety is between my ears" folks are right, but nobody is zero defect. Everybody thinks they always keep their finger off the trigger, etc. Video often shows a different story, especially under extreme stress and unusual circumstances.

Finally, is the aftermarket trigger as reliable? Is it drop safe?

I do not modify trigger systems on Glocks, and I do not modify any other gun's trigger in any way that the factory does not. For example, most of my Sigs are short reset triggers. If I buy one that is not a SRT, I will convert it so that it's samey-samey as my others.
    The second paragraph is the answer to the OP. Prosecutors will absolutely use anything that benefits the prosecutor. Your legal defense is never free. Chances of an over zealous prosecutor using your trigger upgrade as the reason for prosecution might be slim. But I wouldn't risk it.

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    Forgetting the legal side, which I think it dubious...

Why would you want to alter a reliable firearm you trust your life to every day, with aftermarket gee-wiz parts? Especially something as critical as the trigger system.

On an AR15 or a 1911, it's a bit different as long as you go with quality components that are correctly made.
    I'm in this camp...OEM trigger...leave it be...legal issues or not, the pistol was designed to operate with that trigger in it.

I've converted a couple of my target pistols to flat-faced triggers, but did not mess with the internals.

With my revolvers, especially my Ruger's, I do a MCARBO trigger job (smoothed 'em up and polishes the parts) in order to improve the trigger pull, and installed Wolff Springs...but did not change any of the major parts out!

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 14, 2017
    Southern Indiana
    Other than a competition gun reducing the trigger pull to a ridiculous light pull is both a safety and liability issue in my opinion. Example, years ago I wanted to try a Ghost setup in one of my Glocks. After a few triple taps instead of doubles at the range I immediately put the pistol back to stock. With that said I do have only one pistol that isn't 100% stock, My M&P M2.0. I replaced the factory trigger parts with Apex springs (kept the trigger shoe stock) for one specific reason and that was to reduce the gritty mile long take up. I don't worry about liability with it due to the pull being a touch heavier now than stock.

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    Other than a competition gun reducing the trigger pull to a ridiculous light pull is both a safety and liability issue in my opinion. Example, years ago I wanted to try a Ghost setup in one of my Glocks. After a few triple taps instead of doubles at the range I immediately put the pistol back to stock. With that said I do have only one pistol that isn't 100% stock, My M&P M2.0. I replaced the factory trigger parts with Apex springs (kept the trigger shoe stock) for one specific reason and that was to reduce the gritty mile long take up. I don't worry about liability with it due to the pull being a touch heavier now than stock.

I don't think changing a spring is too much of an issue unless you go crazy.

Glocks benefit a lot from a slightly stronger trigger return spring and literally nothing else. Also makes them technically more reliable as the stock spring is kind of a weak point. It's the one functional mod I actually recommend.

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    Other than a competition gun reducing the trigger pull to a ridiculous light pull is both a safety and liability issue in my opinion. Example, years ago I wanted to try a Ghost setup in one of my Glocks. After a few triple taps instead of doubles at the range I immediately put the pistol back to stock.
    I tried a 'Ghost' 3.5# trigger one time... didn't like the 'no crisp break's feel that the OEM 5# trigger provides! Went back to stock after one (1) range trip!
    Didn't like the NYPD 11# trigger either...

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 14, 2017
    Southern Indiana

Glocks benefit a lot from a slightly stronger trigger return spring and literally nothing else. Also makes them technically more reliable as the stock spring is kind of a weak point. It's the one functional mod I actually recommend.
    Think the Gen 5 models changed the trigger spring and couple others too.

DakotaC

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 13, 2021
    Tipton IN
    I wouldn’t worry so much on the legality side of it and make it a comfortable carry for you, if your not a fan of the trigger upgrade it with something of your choice and quality material.

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0

The Glock trigger mechanism actually doesn't need a trigger spring at all, it's there to assist in trigger return.. The trigger spring is under tension constantly so a heavier spring assists in pulling the trigger. if you keep the trigger pinned back until the gun goes into battery the trigger will reset even if the spring is broken because the striker spring resets the trigger. A heavier trigger spring, can possibly prevent the trigger from returning completely, disabling the safety blade in the trigger. Improvements can be made without affecting reliability but changing springs will cause reliability issues on some guns.

Last edited:

bw210

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Sep 24, 2009
    Kouts, IN
    This is one of those decisions you have to be comfortable with... I like lighter triggers... 3.5#' ish. It is what most of my guns are set at. It is what I am use to shooting... Specifically 1911, revolver or M&P

I am not really concerned with the legal aspects of a modified ignition in the event it is used in a shooting. In my very limited knowledge of the legalities... my opinion is the shoot will be justified or not... Of course that has debateded since the subject was first brought up in discussion.

I should add that any change in trigger/ignition on carry guns are performed by prominent smiths that technically falls into a duty/carry package. Perhaps not for legality reasons but more for reliability reasons.

If your not 100% comfortable with making changes... There are scores upon scores of production duty/carry sidearm that have pretty decent triggers. We are spoiled by the choices the market provides.

Top Bottom