• ...and so much more!
  • Doug

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Wait...I know, ...I know...

The "active shooter" was really a Zoo employee who was trying to dispatch an escaped tiger...And the tiger went on to kill and eat the school nurse...and the "good guy" then shot the tiger and was charged with animal cruelty.

Sheesh, give me a break.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    "can I be arrested for...?" is the criminal law version of "can I be sued for...?"

There is only 1 answer to each question regardless of what follows the word "for". That answer is "yes".

The real questions would be: how likely is it?, and what would be the outcome?

Real life is seldom as cut and dried as hypotheticals and the people who may do the arresting won't necessarily know who you are, why you did what you did and all the ins and outs, at least initially.

So, if a guy used his gun to take out an active shooter going after children and that is clear, no question, I would not worry about it. Do what you have to do. This doesn't mean you won't get arrested, nor does it mean that you won't have to explain yourself. You may and you will. However, chances are it will be cleared up quickly.

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    So, in that case what happens is his lawyer actually did it but set him up and will now take a dive in court to cover for himself at the expense of his client. The client will be banished to New Australia, a penal colony on Titan.
    Now you are really stretching it. Everyone knows that Titan doesn't have a penal colony. That place is reserved for the upper crust.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 7, 2021
    central indiana
    Well as it turns out this imaginary person has been trespassed by the school system for previously bringing home school pamphlets and passing them around. Then, as it turns out, he was not allowed to pick said child up from the school because of a restraining order the child's mother put on him do to his hatred shown towards public schooling.

Now, as he sees the shooting take place he steps out of the vehicle. He is wearing no pants. A vial of what turns out to be crystal meth falls from his lap onto the ground. He only uses the meth to help him stay awake late at night while he works on the pamphlets about how bad the public schools systems are. Unfortunately one of the many side effects of the meth is he forgot not only to put pants on, but that he wasn't allowed to pick the child up from the school.
    This is a Beech Grove thread?
    More serious response... Per original OP question, be arrested? Damn good chance. Be prosecuted? Very, very unlikely. Look at Mr. Dicken in Greenwood. He wasn't arrested per any reports. He wasn't charged. He wasn't prosecuted. But I'm certain he wasn't free to hop in his car and drive home immediately after the incident. More likely, he spent a good while answering a hundred different versions of the same ten questions from five different badge wearers. In the end, he was determined to be the hero he was that day. Per the OP scenario, I'd be much more worried about civil suits.

joe138

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Lawrence County
    The biggest thing to be prepared for in the initial scenario, is to obey the responding Officers immediately. This will help to avoid anymore shots fired.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    This is a Beech Grove thread?
    More serious response... Per original OP question, be arrested? Damn good chance. Be prosecuted? Very, very unlikely. Look at Mr. Dicken in Greenwood. He wasn't arrested per any reports. He wasn't charged. He wasn't prosecuted. But I'm certain he wasn't free to hop in his car and drive home immediately after the incident. More likely, he spent a good while answering a hundred different versions of the same ten questions from five different badge wearers. In the end, he was determined to be the hero he was that day. Per the OP scenario, I'd be much more worried about civil suits.

Arrested and detained are not the same thing.

Greenwood was a known good shoot before he was even transported from the scene. One could say it was ideal for a self-defense shooting, tons of footage, and clear aggressor, multiple uninvolved witnesses, and no muddying factors like drug dealing or gang warfare. Your imagined version of events is rather overblown compared to what really happened as far as interviews, but I'll leave it at that.

jcole123

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 13, 2022
    Indianapolis
    Was musing today...
    I suppose if someone was armed, in their car at a school, dropping off their kid, -totally legaql- and someone opened fire at students ... if you exited the vehicle and popped the perp, you would be arrested , not only for shooting the fellow, but for having a firearm outside your vehicle?
    You would be arrested and charged, but similar to other self defense scenarios a judge would either drop the case or a jury would find you not guilty. At most I could see a charge for possession of a firearm on school property, but I don’t think you’d serve actual jail time for stopping a school shooting.

Top Bottom