• ...and so much more!
  • Johnny C

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    Solsberry , In
    Was musing today...
    I suppose if someone was armed, in their car at a school, dropping off their kid, -totally legaql- and someone opened fire at students ... if you exited the vehicle and popped the perp, you would be arrested , not only for shooting the fellow, but for having a firearm outside your vehicle?

Scuba591

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    Noblesville
    I would think that seldom there is only one charge brought against a shooter... didn't Greenwood shooter initially have trespass charges from the mall?

flatlander

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Noblesville
    I think of the scenario often while waiting to pick up my grandson. I really wouldn't give a crap about being arrested as long as the piece of **** was stopped. Same goes for WHEN they took my firearm after the fact. I carry what I shoot best and if the mutt gets killed in a good shoot, it will be worth every ****ing penny.
    If I worried about crap like that I'd be afraid to carry anything but a ****ing Hi-point and wouldn't act to save my grandson. That would make me the lowest piece of **** in the gene pool.

J Galt

Expert
    Rating - 93.3%
    14   1   0
    Mar 21, 2020
    Indianapolis
    Was musing today...
    I suppose if someone was armed, in their car at a school, dropping off their kid, -totally legaql- and someone opened fire at students ... if you exited the vehicle and popped the perp, you would be arrested , not only for shooting the fellow, but for having a firearm outside your vehicle?

I would just assume yes, you will be; especially in Marion County. (It's not necessarily IMPD that is the cause of this assumption, it's the chief and the prosecutor.)

I'm also prepared to give the statement: Lives were in danger. I would like to cooperate through my attorney.

On the off chance I was not arrested, I would go home, stay off of social media, and call my attorney via the Signal app immediately.

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    I'll quote BBIs from a class that he and Coach taught at Riley.
    "92 counties and 92 prosecutors in Indiana. Each prosecutor will view each situation differently"
    Something to consider anytime lethal force is considered IMHO.
    Actually almost too much to absorb when those two guys were in the room.
    Time to make a difference, although may be a bit too late for expressing your desired representation to the state Senate and Congress this election cycle. Although a few letters never hurts to remind them yes you do care and you vote, and stand up for your rights.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    Was musing today...
    Not likely but ultimately that would be up to the local prosecutor.

Trapper Jim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Arcadia
    You will need to lawyer up if it went down that easy. If it doesn’t go that easy, skill set etc…you’re a dead hero and everyone thanks you.

greg

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2009
    Plainfied,In
    I would just assume yes, you will be; especially in Marion County. (It's not necessarily IMPD that is the cause of this assumption, it's the chief and the prosecutor.)

I'm also prepared to give the statement: Lives were in danger. I would like to cooperate through my attorney.

On the off chance I was not arrested, I would go home, stay off of social media, and call my attorney via the Signal app immediately.
    Great advice ...Shooting a gun within so many feet from a school will get you in trouble also.

I live close to a school and was advised that shooting an aggressive dog was a NO because of my location. The LEO said i had the right to protect myself, but I better have retreated the best I could also.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Was musing today...

You muse incorrectly. A bright line good shoot isn't going to result in an arrest, particularly in stopping an active shooter at a school. Exiting the vehicle with the gun is illegal, but necessity defense is immediate and obvious.

ECS686

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    Brazil
    OP here, not saying I wouldn't do it...because I would...just wondering if being arrested would follow.

You would be hard pressed to find a Prosecutor in the majority of Indiana counties to want to go forward with any charges. Prosecutors Discretion isn’t always a bad thing. They do weigh if the person was saving life or limb when they might have violated something.

Top Bottom