• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Basher

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    May 3, 2022
    Lafayette
    Problem is that most shows die down the during the summer months and won't be starting up again until September/October.

That’s perfect, actually. I’ll be busiest at work during the summer months anyway, so that gives me time to get well settled in to work and home before venturing off for day trips to neighboring “funshows.”

akrylov

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2022
    Indianapolis
    Sorry, I was being a jerk. The days of the “good gun show” are gone I fear. Sometimes you can find deals but for the most part Gun shows are full of guys trying to sell used guns for more than you can buy a new one for and guys flipping ammo for double the price. Don’t forget all the flea market items and tons of Chinese AR parts. I still go to a few and try to find odd ball parts or ammo though. I must admit the last two 1500s I bought new pistols as cheap or cheaper than I could order them for. I also go for the entertainment purposes, always something to see.
    There is a show at Stout Field this weekend. It used to be my favorite show but it’s changed a lot. It was the first show I went to almost 40 years ago.
    I agree, I went on one of them this Saturday for the first time and was kinda disappointed, initially, I thought I miss something as a guy was trying to sell me a used Glock for 800$ (???), but then I read this forum and see I am not the only one, what shows would you recommend to attend?

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    You get out of the shows what you put in. The more knowledge the better the gun show will be.

The trinkets and jerky is there because it sells. The tourists come to shows with the expectation of free stuff (I mean they paid for parking and entrance thus they are entitled) so they buy fans, fidget spinners, jerky as totems of their presence at the show.

1. Get educated on the market.
    2. If low, buy, if high, don't.
    3. Have a list of needs, stick to the needs.
    4. Have resources for targets of opportunity.
    5. Have faith in the power of NO.

Here is the March 1500 experience, note what I spent and what I have there on the table, knowledge is power, entitlement is b.s.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Remember, most people go to gun shows as tourists with $400, minus gas and beer money. They go with their Affliction shirst, backward caps and sunglasses, to look, which is cool. The apex predators of the shows are: 1) guy who looks like that he has just come off the night shift and has 3/4" of calluses on his hands (because he is likely high-end skilled trade knows what he wants and he has cash money on him) and will go directly to what he wants, 2) the doctor, CPA, or lawyer in the khakis, nice causal shirt and half glasses (as he understands at least the basics of economics, has the power of NO and has resources, there or he can summon them) who will circle, taking notes.

But to have a good show, you need to study to be educated and to be prepared. Have a basic understanding of economics and how markets work and why. E.g., now, buy mags, not ammo. The market is coming down on lowers, wait for the August, when prices hit the nadir, show then buy.

Today's lesson, marginal utility: https://www.investopedia.com/terms/m/marginalutility.asp

Last edited:

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Remember, most people go to gun shows as tourists with $400, minus gas and beer money. They go with their Affliction shirst, backward caps and sunglasses, to look, which is cool. The apex predators of the shows are: 1) guy who looks like that he has just come off the night shift and has 3/4" of calluses on his hands (because he is likely high-end skilled trade knows what he wants and he has cash money on him) and will go directly to what he wants, 2) the doctor, CPA, or lawyer in the khakis, nice causal shirt and half glasses (as he understands at least the basics of economics, has the power of NO and has resources, there or he can summon them) who will circle, taking notes.

But to have a good show, you need to study to be educated and to be prepared. Have a basic understanding of economics and how markets work and why. E.g., now, buy mags, not ammo. The market is coming down on lowers, wait for the August, when prices hit the nadir, show then buy.

Today's lesson, marginal utility: https://www.investopedia.com/terms/m/marginalutility.asp
    Looks can be deceiving, I remember years ago when working at a shop the lazy owners son passed on a couple guys because they looked dirty, turns out they were pretty successful farmers and he lost the commission on two Weatherby rifles, high end optics, mounts and ammo lol.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    I agree, I went on one of them this Saturday for the first time and was kinda disappointed, initially, I thought I miss something as a guy was trying to sell me a used Glock for 800$ (???), but then I read this forum and see I am not the only one, what shows would you recommend to attend?
    I am a big fan of the Crown Point show. Aisles are wider, whole show takes 3ish hours, food trucks, clean bathrooms, plenty to do after show in Lake County (we hit Griffith, sometimes Crown Point).

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Looks can be deceiving, I remember years ago when working at a shop the lazy owners son passed on a couple guys because they looked dirty, turns out they were pretty successful farmers and he lost the commission on two Weatherby rifles, high end optics, mounts and ammo lol.
    Very true. No disagreement.

The gun writer, Tamara Keel, has a story about having super jack to spend on a gun, but guys at shop let her stand there while they discussed bass boats.

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Very true. No disagreement.

The gun writer, Tamara Keel, has a story about having super jack to spend on a gun, but guys at shop let her stand there while they discussed bass boats.
    I could see that, when females came into the shop I always went to help them because they were there for a reason not to just stop in and shoot the bull.

akrylov

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2022
    Indianapolis
    I am a big fan of the Crown Point show. Aisles are wider, whole show takes 3ish hours, food trucks, clean bathrooms, plenty to do after show in Lake County (we hit Griffith, sometimes Crown Point).
    What about prices, usually shows have alot of "guys" who bought their S&W for 26 cents in 1976 and now selling for 600$

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    What about prices, usually shows have alot of "guys" who bought their S&W for 26 cents in 1976 and now selling for 600$
    Prices? Price is nothing but information. Part of your homework before you go. You should know the market. If it is too high, say NO. It is is too low, buy. If Jasper makes .09% over inflation, I don't care, none of my business. Not the Pricing Police and I am not the jealous type.

Be informed, be with resources, be able to walk away.

akrylov

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2022
    Indianapolis
    Prices? Price is nothing but information. Part of your homework before you go. You should know the market. If it is too high, say NO. It is is too low, buy. If Jasper makes .09% over inflation, I don't care, none of my business. Not the Pricing Police and I am not the jealous type.

Be informed, be with resources, be able to walk away.
    I agree, but come on, when 99% of all guns on the show are too inflated, it makes going there pointless, every single person I see trying to gain like 30-40% of the initial price of that gun

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    I agree, but come on, when 99% of all guns on the show are too inflated, it makes going there pointless, every single person I see trying to gain like 30-40% of the initial price of that gun
    I don't care. If you think the price is too high, then don't buy it.

Many of the sellers at gun shows treat them as their socialization process. They do not care if they sell or not. Ok, that's them, move on.

INGO: "Boo hoo hoo, guns are too high."

Me: "Make more money or don't buy them. The price will come down or you will save up the money to buy what you need, then what you want."

If guns are too high, then buy what is cheap now. Make a list of what you need, stick to the list until complete, then get your wants. Wait, we covered that.

Testcase448

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 11, 2022
    Indiana
    Sorry, I was being a jerk. The days of the “good gun show” are gone I fear. Sometimes you can find deals but for the most part Gun shows are full of guys trying to sell used guns for more than you can buy a new one for and guys flipping ammo for double the price. Don’t forget all the flea market items and tons of Chinese AR parts. I still go to a few and try to find odd ball parts or ammo though. I must admit the last two 1500s I bought new pistols as cheap or cheaper than I could order them for. I also go for the entertainment purposes, always something to see.
    There is a show at Stout Field this weekend. It used to be my favorite show but it’s changed a lot. It was the first show I went to almost 40 years ago.
    I used to work at the Mack Dealer just South of Stout Field. I bought a Chinese Paratrooper Side fold there way back before the first ban. Ugly as sin, red bake light stocks. But actually shot pretty well. I know it's heresy, but it shot better than my Ruger Mini 14. Paid the princely sum of 250.00, sold it to a Postal Worker, true story, for 1250.00 during the ban lol

Ceilgall

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 25, 2022
    Lafayette
    National Guard Armory off Holt Rd on Southside of Indy. Open Sunday 9-4 I think. Give it a go.
    Hi, long time reader first time poster but I’m wondering if you know when the next few will be in Indiana and are there typically many private sellers? I don’t trust the govt and would prefer to use that avenue if you picking up what I’m throwing Down…

SnoopLoggyDog

I'm a Citizen, not a subject
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Warsaw
    Hi, long time reader first time poster but I’m wondering if you know when the next few will be in Indiana and are there typically many private sellers? I don’t trust the govt and would prefer to use that avenue if you picking up what I’m throwing Down…
    Here on INGO, we obey all the laws.

Individuals who work for three letter agencies seem to have a problem following the laws.

DragonGunner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    N. Central IN
    No gun shows for me in years.....I see next weekend there is the small one at the Stout Field National Guard Armory INDY....never been there. Any input on this show appreciated. Think my son might be looking for bulk ammo. Any different regulations to be aware of...? I see free parking and only $5 admission.

Top Bottom