• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Fenway

no longer pays the bills
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2008
    behind you
    I need a decent digital camera under $200. Nothing fancy. I bought my parents a Canon Power shot A75 a couple of years ago and I think the pictures look great. I bought a slightly cheaper Kodak for myself and it sucks.

What should I get?

Pami

INGO Mom
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Next to Lars
    I haven't looked at smaller cameras in a while, so I'm not sure what's hot these days.

The nice thing about Canons is that they actually make their own sensors, where most other digital cameras use sensors made by Sony. The nice thing about this is that the sensor is made for the camera and so the quality is nicer, aspect ratio is more accurate. By using Sony sensors in other brands, Sony is forced to make a ... good quality but generic sensor to get the most out of most cameras. If that makes any sense.

Nikon (the brand to use for high quality film cameras) is right up there with Canon these days. When I bought my XTi last year, Lars took ownership of the Nikon CoolPix that I had been using. It's a fairly decent little camera. You can get great 4x6 and 5x7 prints in pretty nice quality, and if the image clarity is sharp, a fairly decent 8x10 if you really want. That camera is a couple of years old now, though. It was $300 new, and I'm sure with technology advancing as fast as it has been the last couple of years, the price has gone down and the quality has gone up.

Salespeople will really push the megapixel size... This camera is so much better than that one because you can shoot at 12 MP instead of 10! WooT! Not really. Pay more attention to the optical zoom versus the digital zoom. You'll get better clarity out of a longer optical zoom, and most photo editing programs can enlarge much better than the digital zoom on the cameras. I'd also pay attention to the kind of data storage it uses (compact flash card, etc.), the type of battery it uses (more as a general expense thing than anything).

I know, not very specific, Lars is much more in to the details than I am. But I'd stick with Canon or Nikon for the brand. They're the front-runners right now as far as image quality and mechanical superiority goes.

turnandshoot4

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 29, 2008
    Kouts
    One thing to look for is what type of glass it has. Some point and shoot camera have a plastic front lens. Nikon and cannon always put out good products. I am sure Pami could tell you more about the cannons (I'm a nikon guy). Amazon is a great place to find point and shoots in that price range.

Fenway

no longer pays the bills
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2008
    behind you
    Thanks for the advice guys. Pami I learned that megapixel lesson the hard way. This Kodak I have had a decent amount of megapixels for the price. But the zoom sucks.

I'll start looking for a Nikon or Cannon and post what I am considering

Shay

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Indy
    Canon point and shoots are rock solid.

I have a Canon 870IS that I carry all the time. When I need to shoot something purposeful I use my Canon 10D DSLR.

Pete-FWA

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2008
    This Kodak I have had a decent amount of megapixels for the price. But the zoom sucks.

Which Kodak model do you have?

Kodak cameras seem to get better every year, but I know there have been a few duds in the lineup, judging by some of the responses they draw on and offline.

Like turnandshoot said, Amazon is a great resource for pricing.

Have you looked at any of the cnet.com reviews? For the more recent electronics I've shopped, tested, and purchased, I find their reviews have made a great deal of sense.

Top Bottom