• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gregr

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2016
    West-Central
    Very hypothetically speaking, if someone were to want to get a new AR, what might be a good, reliable brand, and what caliber might be best? Oh, and I guess, which is the way to go? Direct Impingement or Gas Piston?

I`ve always just assumed that the .556 mm was the best, and really only way to go, but would the .308 be a decent option as far as ammo availability, cost, and functionality? and yes, the AR would be a rifle to defend against any and all threats whether social or governmental.

Last point-what might be a good quick-acquisition battle combat-sight? Is the ACOG still king of the hill?

tcecil88

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 18, 2013
    @ the corner of IN, KY & OH.
    You can get an awful nice kitted out 5.56 or .300 BLK for your budget, but a good .308 would probably be pushing it. Palmetto State has PA-10's for under $1K, but I don't know how good they would be. Sig 716's run around $2K. The main question would be what is it's intended purpose, which would help in caliber and optics choice.

gregr

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2016
    West-Central
    You can get an awful nice kitted out 5.56 or .300 BLK for your budget, but a good .308 would probably be pushing it. Palmetto State has PA-10's for under $1K, but I don't know how good they would be. Sig 716's run around $2K. The main question would be what is it's intended purpose, which would help in caliber and optics choice.
    looking for a self-defense rifle to aid in both potential societal as well as government attacks. And which functionality? Direct Impingement or Gas Piston?

gregr

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2016
    West-Central
    which functionality? Direct Impingement or Gas Piston?

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    I'd look seriously at the Ruger lightweight .308 and a matching ACOG. That will stretch the budget a smidge but I've seen the Ruger for under a grand. 1-6x or 1-8x LPVO in the $6-800 range would be another good option if the ACOG makes the combo too spendy.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    Oooh goodie. I get to dust off this thread again. ;)

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Very hypothetically speaking, if someone were to want to get a new AR, what might be a good, reliable brand, and what caliber might be best? Oh, and I guess, which is the way to go? Direct Impingement or Gas Piston?

I`ve always just assumed that the .556 mm was the best, and really only way to go, but would the .308 be a decent option as far as ammo availability, cost, and functionality? and yes, the AR would be a rifle to defend against any and all threats whether social or governmental.

Last point-what might be a good quick-acquisition battle combat-sight? Is the ACOG still king of the hill?
    Whatever caliber you choose I suggest Aero Precision.
    You get a good quality rifle for the price.
    Wait for a sale especially Christmas sales is when you can save money.

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    LWRC IC-Di in 5.56 , it's the most common operating system in the most common caliber. Plus unless you are planning on running a can the pistons just add unnecessary weight and expense to the rifle. You can find them for $1300~ if you ship around.

Personally I am a fan of LPVO's but in the interest of price range get an Aimpoint PRO for $500 , Holosun PID for a light and whatever sling suits your fancy. You now have 300 yards and in covered.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    The piston system makes the gun heavier and generally much more expensive. does It make a difference? Not if you are going to the range once or twice then stick it in the closet.

wildcatfan

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 18, 2021
    Muncie
    Best quality brands are Knight’s Armament and LMT. Next tier is Daniel Defense, Geissele, BCM, LWRC, Larue, SOLGW, Noveske and probably a few others I forgot. Everything else is ok down to not good. Probably the best value in a 5.56 is BCM with a Vortex LPVO. In an AR10 style it’s going to be hard to stay under 2k and have good quality and long term reliability. Probably the Aero or Ruger are the cheapest options. Again KAC, LMT and Daniel Defense are excellent but would be north of that budget. Just my opinion.

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    Best quality brands are Knight’s Armament and LMT. Next tier is Daniel Defense, Geissele, BCM, LWRC, Larue, SOLGW, Noveske and probably a few others I forgot. Everything else is ok down to not good. Probably the best value in a 5.56 is BCM with a Vortex LPVO. In an AR10 style it’s going to be hard to stay under 2k and have good quality and long term reliability. Probably the Aero or Ruger are the cheapest options. Again KAC, LMT and Daniel Defense are excellent but would be north of that budget. Just my opinion.
    LMT would be at the very high end of the budget. Their standard patrol rifles have msrp right at $2k, and the defender series just above that.

If that’s not too high, you can’t go wrong with LMT.

cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    If I ever replace my ar void it will be SOLGW just because of the emblem lol

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    CA is up and running in Bargersville. Our cup runneth over with choices but Centurion is top tier and Monty is up here in Indiana.

1685705290392.png

Background and insight into Centurion Arms which is in our backyard and why you should check them out (Monty spent a lot of time in CA but has Hoosierfied since transfer to Crane):

Last edited:

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    What is a great "first AR"? Let's ask Gun Santa (I know, I know, he lost a bunch of weight and shaved his beard):

An Aero AC-15M, new trigger, charging handle, couple dozen EPMs, 1X microprism, maybe some Troys in the back, sling, chest rig, some classes, you are on your way.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom