• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Chris387

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    Just south of Indy
    I'm wanting to register for my first appleseed event this summer. For the rifle, I'm thinking about going with a 22LR Ruger American with synthetic stock.
    For those that have done the appleseed, would you recommend trying with iron sights or a scope? (If scope, what is a decent one that will serve its purpose?)

Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    The shore of wonderful Lake Michigan
    If you have decent eyes, I'd go with irons. Not the stock irons, but something like Tech Sights. Most people on the line will have optics and a low power (2-7, 3-9) would be well suited for an Appleseed. It would really be your personal preference. I've done both and found my scores didn't actually improve much when I went to optics.

As far as rifles are concerned, I probably wouldn't recommend a bolt gun. Depending on your skill level, I'd opt for a semiauto so you can concentrate on your shooting positions and form. A bolt gun is definitely doable, but cycling the bolt between every shot will slow you down a bit and add one more thing to deal with while learning new skills. I'd opt for a 10-22 or other magazine fed semiauto to simplify the learning process.

Dont' forget to put a sling on it. The inexpensive USGI sling is perfect for Appleseed.

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    My vote would be for the 10/22 as well. Aside from the event you will enjoy it afterwards.

I was going to say a 9 mm PC but those are far to dangerous for a an event where there will be so many people present.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    If you have decent eyes, I'd go with irons. Not the stock irons, but something like Tech Sights. Most people on the line will have optics and a low power (2-7, 3-9) would be well suited for an Appleseed. It would really be your personal preference. I've done both and found my scores didn't actually improve much when I went to optics.

As far as rifles are concerned, I probably wouldn't recommend a bolt gun. Depending on your skill level, I'd opt for a semiauto so you can concentrate on your shooting positions and form. A bolt gun is definitely doable, but cycling the bolt between every shot will slow you down a bit and add one more thing to deal with while learning new skills. I'd opt for a 10-22 or other magazine fed semiauto to simplify the learning process.

Dont' forget to put a sling on it. The inexpensive USGI sling is perfect for Appleseed.
    I very much agree on using a semi-auto. I did my first and only Appleseed event with a bolt action (tube fed Mossberg 46B) and it was... challenging to say the least, especially on the timed portion.

rosejm

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 28, 2013
    NWI
    Something that feeds, fires and extracts reliably.
    That you can zero and will hold zero.
    With an adjustable loop sling.

A bonus is something that you can operate by feel/blindfolded, but those three first and foremost.

MrSmitty

Master of useless information
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    New Albany
    My first Appleseed a guy next to me shot it with a Ruger Precision Rifle, he kept hitting my target, his scope was too powerful for 25 yards

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County

Gabriel has it pretty spot on. I used a Savage FVSR with a 3x9 scope on the lowest magnification. My eyes are not great.

The biggest thing for me, with the bolt, was the rifle coming off target after each shot. I didn't feel like I was pressed for time in the timed events. In fact I think it helped me keep a slower rhythm to my shots.

Gunmetalgray

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 14, 2021
    not lost, wandering...

100% +1
    Iron Tech Sights are a perfect match for Appleseed, simple, reliable, and inexpensive. Certainly no need for a scope unless your eyes see a really fuzzy front sight or you just want one. I kind of like the bragging rights that come with shooting irons just as good or better than the scoped guys/gals :cool:
    Semi-auto, yep, you'll probably have more fun with it. USGI sling, perfect.

One other thing, if rain is in the forecast, take something waterproof to use as a shooting mat to stay dry on sitting / prone position. Does not have to be an expensive shooting mat, most used an exercise mat or a rubber backed door mat / carpet runner. Had rain & sleet at ours and staying dry was a big plus.

55fairlane

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 15, 2016
    New Haven
    I earned my patch (twice in one day)
    Rifles AR22 with carry handle & rock river arms national match (iron sights),
    It's a neat program, but honestly, if you want to learn to shoot "fundamentals "like they teach in a day, join a high power program at a gun club near you. It takes practice, practice, practice!! I have been shooting high power for 9 years now, I saw people at the appleseed who were so confused, didn't know if they were coming or going. It is a lot to take in, and learn in a day.

Good luck

TJ Kackowski

Let it begin here.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   1
    Jun 8, 2012
    Hendricks County
    I have no more to add to the rifle needed to shoot an Appleseed, that's been well hashed out above. Bring what you got and if your Instructors are worth their salt, they'll get you squared away. However, I find it best to get yourself squared away before atttending the event.

If you are really after the Rifleman patch, read on ... I spent a little bit of time as an Appleseed Instructor (and Shoot Boss, and State Coordinator, and .... well, it just doesn't matter since I was unvolunteered from that program).

Here’s a pro tip for anybody shooting an Appleseed AQT and wants to earn their Rifleman patch. Since the whole idea is to get a maximum score, you need to hit the area that scores the most points. To do this with the zero set from earlier in the training program you’ll need to adjust your aim point. Sounds simple, here's how it works out with the AQT target.

Let’s say you are shooting a 6 o’clock hold with aperture sights (Tech Sights). When you zero at 25 yds (25 meters … whatever), you’re setting your point of impact to be 1/2” above your point of aim. Keeping all your shots in the black on this target translates to a 4 MOA group. All well and good on a 1” square. Now move to the modified “D” target used for the AQT.

The target for the slow fire prone stage (Stage 4) has the TOP of the V circle (the 5 scoring area) right at 1/2” above the bottom of the dark area on the target. The 6 o’clock hold works great here. Keep in mind that the width of the 5 scoring area isn’t a full 1” wide, so finding your NPOA for each target is critical. As is knowing that your shots are going to group in a 2 MOA (1/2" square) area, not a full 4 MOA (1" square) area. If you are keeping all your shots in the 4 MOA square at 25 yds. then you will be scoring 5’s and 4’s on the 4th stage. Remember that this stage has a 5 minute time limit. If anything, and I mean ANYTHING, doesn’t jive when you check your NPOA, reset before firing your shots.

The target for the rapid fire prone stage (Stage 3) has the MIDDLE of the V circle (the 5 scoring area) at 1/2” above the bottom of the dark area on the target. The 6 o’clock hold also works great here. Since the target is larger, the 1” square (4 MOA square) is mostly 5’s. Time is much shorter for this stage, so finding your NPOA for each target is critical. Find your NPOA, verify your NPOA, then TRUST your NPOA. You don’t have time to fuss your shot. Remember, finding NPOA is part of your preparation period! When you get into position, it should be very close to NPOA if you did your work during your prep period.

The target for the rapid fire sitting stage (Stage 2) has the BOTTOM of the V circle (the 5 scoring area) right at 1/2” above the bottom of the dark area on the target. The 6 o’clock hold does not work so great here. To maximize your score on this stage, you want to hold just slightly above the 6 o’clock hold … let your front post just drift into the black. If you are keeping all your shots in the 4 MOA square at 25 yds. you will receive more 5’s than 4’s with this approach. Time is short and sitting is an uncomfortable position for most, so make sure you have your NPOA before sending your shots (remember to use your prep period wisely … heck, put a big handful of spit on your mat at your first NPOA so that you don’t have to figure it out when you first sit). You might find it more expedient (and higher scoring) to use the kneeling position here … especially if you’re shooting a bolt or lever action rifle.

The target for the standing stage (Stage 1) has the BOTTOM of the 5 scoring area at 1/2” above the bottom of the dark area of the target. The 6 o’clock hold fails on this target. You will want to hold center of the black area to have the best chance of scoring 5’s and 4’s on this stage. The center of the black area is just above the “shoulders” of the black target area. Remember that there are 2 minutes on the clock for this stage. That is an eternity. Take your time, rest, and take two or three shots when you are at your respiratory pause and the target is aligned with your sights. Yes, NPOA is important for this stage too.

What if you’re using a scope and want to hold center of mass? No problem on a nice square at 25 yds. Easy, peasy. So, where do you place your horizontal crosshair when shooting the “D” target? Where on the “shoulder” of the target gives you maximum points to earn that much coveted but elusive Rifleman’s patch? Might I suggest that you try something different? First off, you should set your scope at a low power setting … no more than 4x … that is a given even if you continue to shoot center of mass. The different part is to set up your scope to shoot a 6 o’clock hold by setting your horizontal crosshair on the bottom of the 25 yd. square and use the hold overs noted above. Yes, it works … I’ve done it, and you can too. Is it conventional? Hell no! But you’re not shooting for convention, you’re shooting for a score that will get you the Rifleman’s patch ... stay focused on the prize.

What if you’re using a red-dot? You have more work to do since it’s hard to hold a dot anywhere but center of mass. Make sure your red-dot is smaller than 4 MOA and get a good zero on the 25 yd. square targets. If it’s bigger than 4 MOA, do your best to turn down the power so that you can use a 6 o’clock hold and follow the suggestions above.

What if you want to shoot factory open sights ... front post of some sort and a notch for the rear sight? Fuhgeddaboudit ... buy some Tech Sights or a scope. Have people earned their Rifleman patch using factory sights? Sure, but who wants that sort of aggrevation?

The Appleseed AQT is a game and you need to use every advantage to win this game.

If you want to practice before the event, or just verify what I stated above, you can print out the attached targets. They’re PDF’s that were available to the Appleseed Instructors back when I was still volunteering for that program. Print them at full scale on 8-1/2” x 11” paper.

Best of success on your Appleseed event. You are sure to learn much and it's all good intel to learn about your rifle.

Attachments

• AQT - Page 1.PDF
      371.8 KB · Views: 6
    • AQT - Page 2.PDF
      283.2 KB · Views: 4
    • AQT - Page 3.PDF
      327.8 KB · Views: 4
    Last edited:
    Top Bottom