• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Does brand really mater if you have a well functioning rifle?
    Yes and now. If you are going JAG, run it until it pukes.

Nothing wrong with a butterknife gun for your 1st one.

Years ago I was in a handgun class with a guy using an Auto Ord. 1911. The JAG AO chugged along even shocking Awerbuck. The guy had resources and could afford top tier stuff but it was his first 1911 and he wanted his money out of it. It did just fine.

Calebcroy92

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 28, 2020
    Plymouth
    Yes and now. If you are going JAG, run it until it pukes.

Nothing wrong with a butterknife gun for your 1st one.

Years ago I was in a handgun class with a guy using an Auto Ord. 1911. The JAG AO chugged along even shocking Awerbuck. The guy had resources and could afford top tier stuff but it was his first 1911 and he wanted his money out of it. It did just fine.
    Don't get me wrong I like a quality fire arms. But some times I feel like some look at the price and over look some items that are well built. Its like the argument in between high quality 1911 versus a Glock. Sometimes you might be better instead of spending $3,000 on a high end AR you might be better spending $1,500 and another $1,500 on ammo. It's better to be trained with a butter knife then not know anything and have bad to the bone knife.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Don't get me wrong I like a quality fire arms. But some times I feel like some look at the price and over look some items that are well built. Its like the argument in between high quality 1911 versus a Glock. Sometimes you might be better instead of spending $3,000 on a high end AR you might be better spending $1,500 and another $1,500 on ammo. It's better to be trained with a butter knife then not know anything and have bad to the bone knife.
    Software is to hardware as 3 is to 1.

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    Generally once you get into the group of people spending 3k+ on an AR it's because they've trained enough to understand the real value in the details.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    There was a good video review on the Rock Island Armory 1911's being very close to spec, and our own Churchmouse even gave a good word for Rock island 1911 firearms. They are I'd say the best budget 1911 you find on the market with good customer service. I know I used their CS it is top notch.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    There was a good video review on the Rock Island Armory 1911's being very close to spec, and our own Churchmouse even gave a good word for Rock island 1911 firearms. They are I'd say the best budget 1911 you find on the market with good customer service. I know I used their CS it is top notch.
    I did and yes they have stepped up well past the 1st one I was exposed to.

Last edited:

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    Does brand really mater if you have a well functioning rifle?
    Like Kirk said - yes and no.

Laws of diminishing returns and all that.

I personally would rather have a perfect $1500 rifle vs a perfect $3000 or up rifle - for my money and for my intended purposes. But if someone wants to give me a Hodge or a Knight's, I won't balk.

What you're supposed to get with higher price is a higher attention to details. ALL small parts are all within spec and there's not tolerance stacking issues. Lower is in spec and the small parts fit in as intended. Pins don't walk out. High quality barrel and high quality BCG headspaced together. The rail on the upper is in spec and cut square and level. The handguards are perfectly aligned with the upper. Gas tube and gas block are aligned and secured properly. Gas port in the barrel is the correct diameter and there aren't internal burrs. Bolts are in-spec (Hint: Spec is 158 Carpenter).

I think you're much more likely to get a "perfect" gun out of certain brands than others.

Do lower priced brands, like Anderson / PSA, make serviceable guns? Yeah - they do. But maybe not ALL of them. Anderson has had a real problem with getting their lowers right - like making sure the grip screw hole is the correct depth. If that is so often out of spec - what else may be? Anderson even states that some of their rifles magically don't need lubrication due to some "nano-technology" RF-85 or some such BS. It's BS.

Entry-level rifles have their place for certain.

But quality platforms also have their place.

Airtevron1

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Sep 10, 2019
    IN
    Been there done this. I don't think we could ever top this thread on the same subject.

Me? I want crap.

ChalupaCabras

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    LaPorte / Kingsbury
    These threads always get sporty and are a good time.

List your brands of those AR manufacturers that are literally good enough to "go to war" with.

PSA / Anderson need not apply.

Not an exhaustive list, but I'll start:

SOLGW
    BCM
    Centurion
    LMT
    Hodge
    KAC
    Noveske
    White Label Armory
    FN
    Colt (some of them...apparently they've been trading on their name for eons YMMV)
    Potential honorable mention to Daniel Defense

I don't poop on any but the absolute lowest tier AR15s... Especial considering our last batch of 'Colt M4 MWS' carbines had something like 3/4 of the batch ship out to units with defective fire control parts that wouldn't even pass a basic function test.

A PSA or DPMS rifle probably isn't any worse than the rifles the military is actually carrying in the field (LOTS of DPMS rifle were purchased and issued to PMCs working in theatre 04 - 06 timeframe as well), especially when you account for the stacking tolerance problems created by the way the military fixes or repairs weapons, AND the brain-dead methods troops are taught to clean their weapons ("Malfunctions? Just dump some CLP into the ejection port" or my favorite, "That bolts not clean until the tail is completely silver!").

My solution to the AR15 QC issue (IE 'what brands can I trust') is to assign my ARs to hunting and target duty, and use a Beretta ARX for my serious rifle. No question if its trustworthy, and no question if the sub-contractor performed the appropriate QC testing.

Last edited:

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    I'm thinking BCM lower is what I'll go with.

And a White Lable Armory 16" mid-length upper with a 15" MLOK rail.

As far as WLA upper: They've been vetted as far as quality goes by an incredibly well-regarded online retailer. This retailer simply doesn't sell junk. They refuse to sell lower-tier equipment when it comes to AR uppers. Like - BCM, SOLGW, and now WLA. Some Adams Arms and Colt thrown in for good measure (I presume for their LE partners) WLA's parent company is the OEM for several other brands - but they branched out a bit and hung out their own shingle.

Anyhow - now if only my poverty pony would sell...

firefighterjohn

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 31, 2010
    I'm thinking BCM lower is what I'll go with.

And a White Lable Armory 16" mid-length upper with a 15" MLOK rail.

As far as WLA upper: They've been vetted as far as quality goes by an incredibly well-regarded online retailer. This retailer simply doesn't sell junk. They refuse to sell lower-tier equipment when it comes to AR uppers. Like - BCM, SOLGW, and now WLA. Some Adams Arms and Colt thrown in for good measure (I presume for their LE partners) WLA's parent company is the OEM for several other brands - but they branched out a bit and hung out their own shingle.

Anyhow - now if only my poverty pony would sell...
    Wow, they sure do have some nice offerings, just checked out their upper selection. I think you've got a good plan there for a nice 'war' rifle setup.

So, once you sell your poverty pony you'll have to give us some pictures and a range report!

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    Wow, they sure do have some nice offerings, just checked out their upper selection. I think you've got a good plan there for a nice 'war' rifle setup.

So, once you sell your poverty pony you'll have to give us some pictures and a range report!
    I may. But I think I've moved into the category of "no pics...unless I'm selling"

Top Bottom