• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    AF Brevity code word Winchester = no ordinance remaining; only thing left to do is ram them.

No missiles, no guns...time to RTB, probably did some good work out there...

Somebody else just added some verbal fluff to it so he could sound cool.
    This is the answer on its origin. Not just USAF tho, multi service.

Don't know if this is current, but here’s an Army link to the manual. WINCHESTER is on p58.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    Hey if someone breaks in to my house I am not breaking INGO tradition, the pants will remain OFF :abused: :ingo: , kinda reminds me of the Ozzy Osbourne break in story now TBH.

For the Sabbath fans , probably their best concert ever and one of the first "metal" concerts ever. Paris 1970

Thread jack over , have a good night CM hope you are doing OK tonight!

Every concert I went to was their best...one of the only bands that could reproduce their recordings in concert time after time.

The reason Ozzie had to go solo was he couldn't get through a concert anymore. During his Crazy Train tour I saw the band had to cover for half an hour that Ozzie couldn't be on stage because he was too stoned or drunk.

I was always amazed that you could understand his lyrics given his general speech otherwise. Maybe that's why other folks who sound normal in daily talk are incomprehensible when singing.

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    Every concert I went to was their best...one of the only bands that could reproduce their recordings in concert time after time.

The reason Ozzie had to go solo was he couldn't get through a concert anymore. During his Crazy Train tour I saw the band had to cover for half an hour that Ozzie couldn't be on stage because he was too stoned or drunk.

I was always amazed that you could understand his lyrics given his general speech otherwise. Maybe that's why other folks who sound normal in daily talk are incomprehensible when singing.

I knew he got kicked out due to drugs but did not know the rest of the bad had to cover for him (not surprising Ozzy left that out of the autobiography) and agreed Black Sabbath shows are amazing.

Fortunate enough that I got to see them on the 13 tour in Indy, everyone Ozzy included was incredible. Easily one of my favorite concerts ever. Also agreed on them sounding live like they due in studio.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    I learned what that meant just a dozen years ago visiting Wright-Patterson AFB. The big guns on planes with an ammo magazine that could hold a 9 yard belt of linked 50 cal.
    Not quite sure that's accurate. I've heard that, I've also said it refered to kilts and that a great kilt required 9 yards of material. And a couple of others. The first recorded use of it is from 1907 in a Indiana newspaper.
    QFT I watched a bit of the TV about his family, I could maybe understand 1 in 5 words he said.

indyblue

Guns & Pool Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indy Northside `O=o-
    Not quite sure that's accurate. I've heard that, I've also said it refered to kilts and that a great kilt required 9 yards of material. And a couple of others. The first recorded use of it is from 1907 in a Indiana newspaper.
    All I know is what I read on the history plaque in front of a 50 Cal machine gun cutaway display at the air museum.

Your link above may indeed be one of the origins of the term, but it had been adopted to mean other things as well… and since this is a firearms forum….

indyblue

Guns & Pool Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indy Northside `O=o-
    I've seen many 70's super-bands that could do that. Yes, Pink Floyd, Moody Blues, Clapton, etc. all were very good at it. However, live music should add something special to make it unique from what you heard on the radio.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    I've seen many 70's super-bands that could do that. Yes, Pink Floyd, Moody Blues, Clapton, etc. all were very good at it. However, live music should add something special to make it unique from what you heard on the radio.
    Then go see Aerosmith, they won't disappoint you for not sounding like anything they recorded. Myself I'd like to recognize the song.

indyblue

Guns & Pool Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indy Northside `O=o-
    Then go see Aerosmith, they won't disappoint you for not sounding like anything they recorded. Myself I'd like to recognize the song.
    Oh, don't misinterpret my preferences, I was just pointing out there are many bands good at reproducing the original sound. Rush was also good at staying true to their ablums but when Neil Peart took off on the drums it was magic and when Clapton did extended guitar solos for songs like "I shot The Sheriff" or "Cocaine" it was always fun to just jam for 10's of minutes.

Boston for instance was horrible at getting it right live, always technical problems.

I don't like it when a band completely mangles a familiar song into an unrecognizable mish-mash either.

Anyhow, back to our regularly scheduled thread.....

indyblue

Guns & Pool Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indy Northside `O=o-
    I’ve been to 11 dead shows and was planning to go to the last one in ‘95 but didn’t get tickets in time. Almost glad I didn’t go after hearing about the crowds overtaking the fences at deer Creek.

I’ve seen the last four dead and company shows though and John Mayer has been excellent. I’ll probably be at the show next month.

Also looking forward to the Doobie Brothers 50th anniversary tour that I’ve had tickets to for almost 3 years now.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I’ve been to 11 dead shows and was planning to go to the last one in ‘95 but didn’t get tickets in time. Almost glad I didn’t go after hearing about the crowds overtaking the fences at deer Creek.

I’ve seen the last four dead and company shows though and John Mayer has been excellent. I’ll probably be at the show next month.

Also looking forward to the Doobie Brothers 50th anniversary tour that I’ve had tickets to for almost 3 years now.
    I was at that show, with my back against the fence, when I heard a roar.
    I peeked through the slats in the fence just in time to tell ,my entourage to move away from the fence, NOW!
    Seconds after we stood up the fence we were leaning on came crashing inward.
    Mayhem ensued, so we vacated the general area.

I had tickets for the next night, but thought better about it after the fence crashing.
    I sold two tickets to the following nights show in the parking lot as we were leaving.
    The next morning they canceled the show.
    I felt bad, but I had no way to know, and no way to contact the guy who bought them.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy

I got to see them twice. The first time was back in the late 70's at Market Square Arena and that show was awesome. Everyone was mellow and just getting into the music. The second time was at Deer Creek in the late 80's or early 90's and we left shortly after it started. That was when the "Dark Heads" had taken over the crowd. Watching a bunch of filthy, sore-covered people spinning around on the lawn was not my cup of tea.

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    I recall hearing the term in reference to being out of ammunition or ordnance. I don't know the branch of origin or time, but I know I've encountered it in games and military/scifi fiction going back at least 20 years. Did it originally come from the Air Force?

Alamo's link is excellent. As a brevity code it's perfect, "winchester" is clearly legible on radio and has a meaning of being related to guns or ammunition.

Top Bottom