• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dentoro

Sharpshooter
    Nov 16, 2010
    Fairland
    I thought Trailboss was a BP substitute but I’ve only used it in 44-40. I don’t know if it is a muzzle loader powder.

Lee11b

Master
    Apr 22, 2014
    North Webster
    I have vol 5 of "Fox Fire" edited by: Eliot Wigginton and his Students. published 1979. Makes interesting reading on gun making and powder making. page 246-248. Don't use hardwood for charcoal as has to much ash. Chinaberry, willow, cottonwood, soft pine with no knots, or redwood and Western cedar make the best grade charcoal.
    Got a whole forest of cottonwood around the lakes here......good to know!!!!

pilgrim

Plinker
    May 5, 2012
    Columbus
    update on ESTES, talked to one of GOEXs larger dealers and ESTES said first of the year at the earliest and that they would be running sporting powder full time and warehousing finished product so that should another accident happen there would be no interruption in supply.

hoglegs

Marksman
    Jul 21, 2017
    NWI
    I thought Trailboss was a BP substitute but I’ve only used it in 44-40. I don’t know if it is a muzzle loader powder.
    Trail boss is definitely classified as smokeless, one of my fav in 45 colt. I wouldn't think about loading it in a front stuffer, it is actually faster than unique just bulkier to better fill cases. Though I doubt a cap would set it off, maybe a 209 inline, but either way a kaboom waiting to happen. Maybe someone with a savage ML10 can safely try a few grains

Matt52

Sharpshooter
    Jun 12, 2012
    Just recently discovered Goex had went out of buisness or at least paused production I heard another company acquired the brand so thats good. I did a deep dive on the making of black power and there are some very informative YouTube videos on the subject. One gentleman that goes by “everything black powder” has impressive results for homemade black powder. He truely prefers it over goex. I want to give it a go just because it looks very interesting and it’s keeping that history alive. Times may get hard we all may go back to carrying flintlocks lol

TrueSeanamus

Sharpshooter
    Mar 8, 2021
    Indiana
    Are there benefits to using black powder? I only have one black powder gun. A pietta “Remington model 1858 army” and have only ever shot it with pyrodex. I have shot maybe 30 rounds through it in 6 or 7 years because the mess is kind of a pain to clean up and have to worry about it rusting. Seeing as pyrodex is apparently corrosive as well, what exactly is the point of using it? Is it just less corrosive than real BP?

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Jan 19, 2009
    Are there benefits to using black powder? I only have one black powder gun. A pietta “Remington model 1858 army” and have only ever shot it with pyrodex. I have shot maybe 30 rounds through it in 6 or 7 years because the mess is kind of a pain to clean up and have to worry about it rusting. Seeing as pyrodex is apparently corrosive as well, what exactly is the point of using it? Is it just less corrosive than real BP?

There are a lot of historical cartridge guns that while risky at best with smokeless are fine with black. I shoot a number of old Colts, S&W, Merwin and other original guns with black and they do fine. Guns like this Merwin 7 shot 32 take BP and soft lead bullets, they perform just as well as the did back in the 1880s when they were new. To clean I just remove the pearl grips and then wash with hot water and simple green. Finish after dry with Ballistol. merwin 32.jpg

TrueSeanamus

Sharpshooter
    Mar 8, 2021
    Indiana
    There are a lot of historical cartridge guns that while risky at best with smokeless are fine with black. I shoot a number of old Colts, S&W, Merwin and other original guns with black and they do fine. Guns like this Merwin 7 shot 32 take BP and soft lead bullets, they perform just as well as the did back in the 1880s when they were new. To clean I just remove the pearl grips and then wash with hot water and simple green. Finish after dry with Ballistol. View attachment 200582
    I meant benefits over using something like pyrodex. The imitation black powder. Not black vs smokeless. I know smokeless will grenade bp guns and will shorten the lifespan of older guns with poorer metal quality.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Jan 19, 2009
    I meant benefits over using something like pyrodex. The imitation black powder. Not black vs smokeless. I know smokeless will grenade bp guns and will shorten the lifespan of older guns with poorer metal quality.

Personally I've only used Pyrodex in modern ML guns like your 1858, but I find that I have to clean them just as soon and as thoroughly as BP. I've never tried Pyrodex in cartridges so I'm not much help there.

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    I've had no issues at all with 3F equivalent Pyrodex in cap and ball revolvers. I would expect no issues using Pyrodex in a cartridge, the primer will be plenty hot to ignite it.

The issue is in flintlocks, where you really do need real black powder with lower ignition points to get a fast ignition.

Top Bottom