• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • warren5421

Expert
    Site Supporter
    May 23, 2010
    Plainfield
    Goex closing, what are you going to use, and where can you get it? I don't like ordering black on line. Is there any place around Indianapolis that carries black other than Goex? I don't want to have to make my own though I can if needed. It can be dangerest mixing, pressing and grinding it. The hardest part is getting or making good charcoal. If you are old you might remember the Fox Fire books, book 5 has a good section on making Flintlock Rifles and powder.

Magyars

Grandmaster
    Mar 6, 2010
    Delaware County Freehold
    I've been doing a fair amount of reading about making BP recently.
    I was surprised to discover that willow made the best charcoal.
    Closest place to purchase that I have found is the Log Cabin shop in Ohio...30.00 per LB.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    I've been doing a fair amount of reading about making BP recently.
    I was surprised to discover that willow made the best charcoal.
    Closest place to purchase that I have found is the Log Cabin shop in Ohio...30.00 per LB.
    How good is homemade BP? I know a guy that tried to make his own. It burned slowly really slow, too slow to be any good.

warren5421

Expert
    Site Supporter
    May 23, 2010
    Plainfield
    I have vol 5 of "Fox Fire" edited by: Eliot Wigginton and his Students. published 1979. Makes interesting reading on gun making and powder making. page 246-248. Don't use hardwood for charcoal as has to much ash. Chinaberry, willow, cottonwood, soft pine with no knots, or redwood and Western cedar make the best grade charcoal.

Sep 3, 2018
    Huntertown
    Goex closing, what are you going to use, and where can you get it? I don't like ordering black on line. Is there any place around Indianapolis that carries black other than Goex? I don't want to have to make my own though I can if needed. It can be dangerest mixing, pressing and grinding it. The hardest part is getting or making good charcoal. If you are old you might remember the Fox Fire books, book 5 has a good section on making Flintlock Rifles and powder.
    For your info i have found that Tomlinson's Shooting Supplies in Churubusco carries Black Powder.

ol' poke

Sharpshooter
    Jan 14, 2010
    Deer Creek Products in Waldron, IN was my GOEX supplier. I'm sure they'll have alternatives like Swiss, etc.

Michigan Slim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Jan 19, 2014
    Fort Wayne
    I've got enough Goex to hunt with for my lifetime. I use APP in cartridges and shotshells. I'll pick up a can of Goex if I see one but no more big lots I guess.

ol' poke

Sharpshooter
    Jan 14, 2010
    ^^This as well. I use Goex ffg in my 45 LC and 44-40 cartridges. Pyrodex in my shotgun shells.

scout5

Plinker
    Dec 15, 2008
    Charlestown
    I've been using Pyrodex and was considering trying BP. Now a company quits making it. I do not use much anyway. Just check the rifle before season and hunt with it. If I shot a lot of it I may consider making some.

DMTJAGER

Marksman
    Jan 15, 2020
    WHITING
    I only own in-line ML's but my rifle club has a rather larger side hammer ML club and shoots 1-2x a month. Goex closing will be VERY upsetting news to them.
    Anyone know how much Goex is still available? I had ALWAYS wanted to buy a T/C .50cal Hawken for years, especially after i joined my RC 6 years ago and shoot with the guys at me club guess I won't now.

G192127

Sharpshooter
    Feb 19, 2018
    Shelbyville
    I don't think there is ANY Goex available anywhere. Deer Creek( my distributor) is out of everything. I know some guys that are sitting on their own private stock, might part with some to help a new guy our. PM me, maybe I can hook you up.

O Kelps

Plinker
    Jan 23, 2022
    Nashville, IN
    I don't think there is ANY Goex available anywhere. Deer Creek( my distributor) is out of everything. I know some guys that are sitting on their own private stock, might part with some to help a new guy our. PM me, maybe I can hook you up.
    I just bought a couple pounds of FF from Deer Creek a week or two ago. Only place I've been able to find it around south central Indiana.

DeadeyeChrista'sdad

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Feb 28, 2009
    winchester/farmland
    I believe availability will ease up as Swiss, Shutzen, and the others pick up Goex's market share. And when the new owner starts up production, I believe you'll see prices come down and stabilize.

pilgrim

Plinker
    May 5, 2012
    Columbus

Estes Energetics to Extend the GOEX Black Powder Production Legacy​

Estes Energetics has acquired the assets of GOEX, the premier black powder brand, and will continue and grow production at its Louisiana manufacturing facility.

NEWS PROVIDED BY
    Estes Energetics
    Jan 31, 2022, 08:36 ET

SHARE THIS ARTICLE​

MINDEN, La., Jan. 31, 2022 /PRNewswire/ -- Estes Energetics (https://estesenergetics.com/) is pleased to announce the acquisition of GOEX from Hodgdon Powder Company. This last remaining commercial scale black powder factory in the United States produces GOEX and Olde Eynsford brands of black powder, which are highly regarded by competitive and recreational shooters, re-enactors, and muzzleloading hunters, as well as fireworks manufacturers. GOEX black powder also propels the model rocket motors of sister company Estes Industries, the leading model rocket brand, and supports the needs of the U.S. Military.
    The acquisition of GOEX was completed in January 2022. "We are extremely excited to extend the relationship with our loyal customers as we ramp up production to satisfy pent up demand later this year," said Karl Kulling, CEO of Estes Energetics.
    GOEX traces its roots back to 1802, when DuPont began producing black powder in Delaware. DuPont's Belin plant in Pennsylvania became part of GOEX in the early 1970s. In 1997, the operations of GOEX were moved to Minden, Louisiana. Estes Energetics plans to continue this legacy of high-quality American made black powder, bringing innovation and full-spectrum engineering capability to fortify safety and quality.
    About Estes Energetics
    Estes Energetics is a defense and industrial company founded in 2021 that researches, designs, engineers, manufactures, tests, and integrates solid-propellant rocket motors, energetics and associated technologies for government and commercial customers. It combines practical propulsion solutions with advanced aerospace research and development. Estes Energetics has engineering, manufacturing, and test facilities in Penrose, Colorado near Colorado Springs. To learn more about Estes Energetics, please visit https://estesenergetics.com/
    About GOEX Industries

Reale1741

Marksman
    Apr 22, 2020
    Jeffersonville
    Goex closing is, of course, going to be a hit to the BP community, but I don't believe it will be as bad as people think. There are other options out there. Fortunately I have more than I'll ever shoot, so I was debating on getting rid of a bit of it. I only have a couple of MLs and some BPCRs that I very seldom shoot.

**EDIT** I just saw the comment regarding Estes. That's awesome news! Hopefully they keep the price point the same.

Top Bottom