• ...and so much more!
  • DragonGunner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    N. Central IN
    1 Timothy 6:8

1 Timothy 6:10: For the love of money is the root of all evil: which while some coveted after, they have erred from the faith, and pierced themselves through with many sorrows.

This passage does NOT say money is evil or that having money is evil. It says LOVING money is the root of evil, It's talking about making an idol of money. Anything you love more than God is an idol.

Malachi 3:10
    Bring all the tithes into the storehouse,
    That there may be food in My house,
    And try Me now in this,”
    Says the Lord of hosts,
    “If I will not open for you the windows of heaven
    And pour out for you such blessing
    That there will not be room enough to receive it.
    Yet you seem to think she should not be content. And even said she should change her prayers…. Had a pastor tell us the same thing, not to be content and ask for more to be blessed by $$. I sadly did what he was doing and asking. A week later I read those scriptures and I rebuked myself sharply and stayed content. I went on and Gods promises blessed, and my cup ran over and still is, all in due time. My pastor fell into deep darkness, the church was destroyed and gone and after not seeing him over 20 years I found him. A shell of his former self still talking about $$ and all he gained. He got a snare and still never saw it.

Bugzilla

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2021
    DeMotte
    Some mentioned not being in a good place and not knowing why. If you are Catholic, seriously consider joining the Knights of Columbus. You can check them out on line to find a local council. You can check them out without joining. You can be with like minded Christian gentleman who share similar beliefs. Their activities will help you. I’ve been a member for about 20 years.

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    1 Timothy 6:8
    1 Timothy 6:10: For the love of money is the root of all evil: which while some coveted after, they have erred from the faith, and pierced themselves through with many sorrows.

This passage does NOT say money is evil or that having money is evil. It says LOVING money is the root of evil, It's talking about making an idol of money. Anything you love more than God is an idol.

Malachi 3:10
    Bring all the tithes into the storehouse,
    That there may be food in My house,
    And try Me now in this,”
    Says the Lord of hosts,
    “If I will not open for you the windows of heaven
    And pour out for you such blessing
    That there will not be room enough to receive it.

Yet you seem to think she should not be content. And even said she should change her prayers…. Had a pastor tell us the same thing, not to be content and ask for more to be blessed by $$. I sadly did what he was doing and asking. A week later I read those scriptures and I rebuked myself sharply and stayed content. I went on and Gods promises blessed, and my cup ran over and still is, all in due time. My pastor fell into deep darkness, the church was destroyed and gone and after not seeing him over 20 years I found him. A shell of his former self still talking about $$ and all he gained. He got a snare and still never saw it.
    No, I did not say she should not be content with what she has. I said it's OK to ask for more. As long as her heart is in the right place and she's not praying out of greed. If she is content then that's fine. Just a few verses down from where you started.

1 Timothy 6:17-19 "Command those who are rich in this present age not to be haughty, nor to trust in uncertain riches but in the living God, who gives us richly all things to enjoy. 18 Let them do good, that they be rich in good works, ready to give, willing to share, 19 storing up for themselves a good foundation for the time to come, that they may lay hold on eternal life."

Your former pastor became haughty, trusted in money and not God and let money become an idol. That was where he went wrong. But God gives us richly all things to enjoy. Trust me, I'm not a wealthy man. My wife and I recently reviewed our budget and we realized just exactly how much God has been carrying us. We have never lacked, never felt wanting and not even realizing how close to the edge we were with inflation and the economy the way it is. We are taking steps to be more careful and praying for increase. Recently my wife was told she will be getting a raise. It's not much, less than $1 per hour but still an increase. This isn't the first time God has provided for my family and won't be the last. I believe God can do all things exceedingly, abundantly and above everything I can imagine

Anyway, I'm not out to start a theology debate. Hope things work out for her and her family. I will pray for her increase. May she be blessed so she may be a blessing to others.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Can we maybe take the Prosperity Gospel discussion to a different thread please? Some of us have been enjoying the stories and it has otherwise stayed on topic.
    (removes mod hat) While we should stay somewhat OT, it hasnt strayed too far. We probably should try to keep it somewhat in check. But a little sidebar while we await other testimony isnt a huge deal. Its kinda what we do here. (idle chat, sometimes involving yellow fruit where it doesnt belong)

And point of order, prosperity gospel isnt praying for money in hopes of prospering. Its the wretched concept that what you GIVE TO THE "CHURCH" is returned to you exponentially, and God rewards those who give to "Him".

I put church in quotes because IMHO a pastor that actively preaches this selfish, self serving doctrine is leading their flock astray selfishly. I'm not saying you shouldnt give or tithe, but you should do so selflessly without expectation of reciprocity. They are twisting Matthew 6:3 HARD. This preaching is just a way to fleece the flock for the enrichment of the pastor. Your reward is knowing you are doing good.

stocknup

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 28, 2011
    Monrovia area
    Words I need right now.
    Those were not my words but sure believe in what they say ..........and glad to have shared them .
    This has been a great thread for many and has been an opportunity to share some personal feelings with the group .
    It is a bit comforting that a lot of us on here share more than just a love for guns , and it is shown on here quite often .

Nazgul

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2012
    Near the big river.
    (removes mod hat) While we should stay somewhat OT, it hasnt strayed too far. We probably should try to keep it somewhat in check. But a little sidebar while we await other testimony isnt a huge deal. Its kinda what we do here. (idle chat, sometimes involving yellow fruit where it doesnt belong)

And point of order, prosperity gospel isnt praying for money in hopes of prospering. Its the wretched concept that what you GIVE TO THE "CHURCH" is returned to you exponentially, and God rewards those who give to "Him".

I put church in quotes because IMHO a pastor that actively preaches this selfish, self serving doctrine is leading their flock astray selfishly. I'm not saying you shouldnt give or tithe, but you should do so selflessly without expectation of reciprocity. They are twisting Matthew 6:3 HARD. This preaching is just a way to fleece the flock for the enrichment of the pastor. Your reward is knowing you are doing good.
    Going through the book of Jude on Wednesday Bible study. John has a lot to say about this and his words are, well, hard to say the least. The images he uses show an outcome I would not wish on anyone.
    Don

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I am beyond pleased with how this thread has turned out. I had no idea how my post would be received but knowing the crowd I expected respectful responses at a minimum. The replies have far surpassed that rather low expectation.

I've been on quite a journey these past six months. I have had things revealed to me which have somewhat alienated me from some of my friends and family, they no longer know what or how to think of me. It hasn't been so much in what has been revealed to me but more in how. I don't know how my unconscious resistance to belief compared to anyone else's but it feels like I've been given the significant convincing my ego required and I'm thankful for that. I had road blocks in place which were not easily moved but He provided me with the evidence I needed to move them. I feel both unworthy and guilty that it has taken as much as it has to come to believe yet also tremendously thankful that He found me deserving enough to show me what I needed to get here. The story I shared in the OP is one of many and is on the milder end of the spectrum.

I don't feel like I require any more convincing at this point, I am all in. That said, I sure won't be bothered by further examples should He decide to provide them. Feeling loved never gets old.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom