• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Why do we have an obsession with innovation? When something is built well and functions well, why should it be tossed aside to make way for something new, if that new thing only brings 'new' to the table. I've been changing my perspective regarding Glock lately and have some to see their sticking with a solid, reliable design as a testament to sticking with their just cause of building reliable tools for agency or self defense applications.

How many of the new, innovative designs has delivered a meaningful change without some level of delivering problems with it? Sig struggles with unintended discharge issues and CZ is starting to see pistols going full auto with high round counts. At best, innovation often comes with a lack of support in the way of holsters or sights. Glock is keeping their product line relevant in today's market. Red dots capable models are available and they've added slim frame designs to accommodate the current trend in carry.

I'm not a Glock fanboy at all, having sold almost all of mine in a move towards the classic Sig design, but I do respect Glocks commitment to their mission of providing a simple, reliable handgun.
    Glock and Apple seem to be in the same groove these days. Minimal/incremental updates, and their stuff works. I also like that there are defined generations of Glocks and it makes matching parts and components straight forward.

That said, I am a fan of the modularity that Sig has brought forward and that in itself has proven a game changer to me.
    That said, their lack of specific generations, etc makes identifying parts and components a real pain.

Bluedragon

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Muncie
    Gen 1 G19 was that a prototype?
    I thought they mass produced them as Gen 2.
    From what I have read Gen 1 G19 frames were made from using the G17 mold that had the ends plugged off so it would be shorter. Other forums claim only 5 gen 1 g19s are still in existence.

Gen 2 G19 is when Glock went into full production with the 19 having its own molds to make the frame.

green46105

Gun enthusiast, gun collector, lover of firearms
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 23, 2023
    greencastle indiana
    I would start with better triggers, then move to better sights (not plastic) then go for comfort altough the gen 5 gip is much nicer. just so many guns on the market do it better then glock now. Dont get me wrong glock will go bang every time you pull the trigger. they are easy to break down and upgrade. there are after market everything comeing out same day as new gen glocks. but when you do a new gen and put a different firing spring in sayings its a huge upgrade. just so many do it much better.

green46105

Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 23, 2023
    greencastle indiana
    Not picking but asking for clarification: What is the "IT" you are speaking of? I am just hard headed, I guess. Please explain.
    put better triggers in their guns. come with better sights on their guns. better shooting more accurate guns. better feeling guns. over all quaility of guns. LIke i said glock goes bang every time you pull the trigger and is very simple to break down and upgrade but there are better guns out there that you dont have to upgrade to get the better feeling guns. glock was innovative when they first interduced their firearm ages ago now but other people have taken their innovation and went much further with it.

Skip

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    12 miles from Michigan
    put better triggers in their guns. come with better sights on their guns. better shooting more accurate guns. better feeling guns. over all quaility of guns. LIke i said glock goes bang every time you pull the trigger and is very simple to break down and upgrade but there are better guns out there that you dont have to upgrade to get the better feeling guns. glock was innovative when they first interduced their firearm ages ago now but other people have taken their innovation and went much further with it.
    Okay. I think I understand now, thanks for clarifying. The things you stated though are subjective, they depend on the individual. Some folks like Glock triggers just as they are. I don't know anyone that likes their sights though! lol.
    What pistol do you shoot/carry that you feel is better than a Glock?

green46105

Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 23, 2023
    greencastle indiana
    Okay. I think I understand now, thanks for clarifying. The things you stated though are subjective, they depend on the individual. Some folks like Glock triggers just as they are. I don't know anyone that likes their sights though! lol.
    What pistol do you shoot/carry that you feel is better than a Glock?
    i currently carry a Canik Mete sft. I own several Caniks. I have owned Sigs i have owned Czs. Triggers can be subjective to a certain degree i would agree with that, but you cannot subjugate things like take up, trigger pull weight, length of travel. you can like a trigger more then others even when its more lbs of trigger pull or how far the travel is before or after the break or how far it travels till it resets. For the money and what you get with your money i think you cannot go wrong with Caniks. we shoot glocks at work and i have owned alot of glocks. I remember when the Glock first came out i wanted one so bad as a kid. i dont think you will go wrong owning a glock if it is what you choose to protect yourself with as i said it goes bang each time you pull the trigger but other companies put the polish on the end product.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    I would suggest the "glock switch" demonstrates the innovation and flexibility of the glock platform.
    Glock Switch is so 15 minutes ago Red. When @Frank_N_Stein and @Denny347 et al take them off the upstanding youts of Marion County they are called "Machinegun Conversion Devices".

Gotta be hip to the lingo :rofl:

700 LTR 223

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    Let’s talk about how Glock is so innovative… not really and I’m a fanboy… what would you like to see Glock come out with? I want them to come out with a fire control unit like sig
    I'd be happy to have a Glock trigger pull that was just like the trigger pull on my Smith Shield 45 or Shield Plus. But to Glock's credit they can produce and optics ready MOS slide where the red dot can actually be zeroed to shoot to the point of aim. My Shield Plus will not zero with 2 different red dots that worked fine on 3 other pistols including a G43X MOS. Smith says to contact the optics manufacturer. No more Smiths for me.

Top Bottom