• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    The vast majority of the market seems to prefer short slide/full grip over full slide/short grip. While slide/barrel length may not effect concealment until you get in to the 6in range it can effect comfort for many before that point.
    When it comes to bullet performance, a longer barreled pistol will always provide for improved performance!
    For close-quarters battle, there is an advantage to having/using a shorter barreled pistol...
    Having a solid grip on one's pistol, at all times, matters...
    To each their own...

ECS686

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    Brazil
    .I was comparing the 43X to the 43 and 48. Nothing more nothing less. The difference in slide length has much less to do with concealment than the grip length to me. The reason for this thread was to simply discuss why Glock decided to do an X. I completely understand the 43 need. And then yes lets go to the 48 for added capacity but I personally did not understand why the need for a shorter slide and longer grip(more capacity). To me the difference in slide length for concealment between the 43 and 48. I would rather have the longer slide and less grip printing if I decide to conceal. Just a hmm I wonder why????
    Heres MHO of the reasoning of the Glock 43X. A lot of folks were running extended base pads/extensions on their 43s anyway so Glock being Glock said hey we can sell something to that market (I personally like the added grip of a 43X over extended mags)

Of course the 43X and 48 wasn't good enough since everyone just has to have a 15 shot something LOL

Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    The shore of wonderful Lake Michigan
    I had the 43 for a few years. I added base pads to make the grip longer and add a couple rounds... basically trying to make it a 43x. when the 43X and 48 came out, I didn't see the point in changing guns until Shield Arms came out with their 15 round mags. Then I bought a 48 figuring I could put the 43 slide on it if I wanted the shorter slide for some reason. I haven't really touched the 43 since I started carrying the 48. I just like the size of it and prefer the slightly wider grip.

Slapstick

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2010
    If I remember an article I read a while back correctly the 43 was introduced 1st, (2015) but with the demand for higher capacity sub compacts increasing and Glock losing market share to other makers they introduced the 43x along with the 48 (2019) with their increased the round count. The 43 and 43x couldn't be sold in Canada due to their restrictions on barrel length so Glock made the 48, (43x with a barrel length to satisfy Canadian regs). The 48 was originally intended for another market but as it turns out the 48 is more popular in the US than in Canada.

Here's an article I found on the subject. https://thegunblog.ca/2019/01/02/glocks-new-g48-is-first-pistol-designed-to-be-canada-legal/

BowhuntnHoosier

Angry Old Conservative Fart
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 28, 2011
    Terre Haute
    I really like my 48 but if I need to deep conceal without a question to printing the 43 is what I would get. But I do understand the thought on round count. Shield Arms needs to make a 10 round 43 magazine. I have 2 of their 15 round magazines for my 48 and they work flawlessly. Although I did need to break them in a little so they would drop free.

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    I just picked up a 48 MOS.. I'm going to play around with it but I will probably end up carrying the 19 I have been carrying for several years. Your logic is solid, the difficult part of the pistol to conceal is the grip. Slide length generally doesn't matter unless you carry appendix and your body shape demands a shorter slide. Sometimes one will just feel more balanced than another to a particular shooter. Personally I like the balance of the 48 over the 43X but to each his own.

cycle jockey

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Sep 25, 2017
    Salem
    I just picked up a 48 MOS.. I'm going to play around with it but I will probably end up carrying the 19 I have been carrying for several years. Your logic is solid, the difficult part of the pistol to conceal is the grip. Slide length generally doesn't matter unless you carry appendix and your body shape demands a shorter slide. Sometimes one will just feel more balanced than another to a particular shooter. Personally I like the balance of the 48 over the 43X but to each his own.
    I was wondering if you had decided to keep the 48 or were interested in selling it. I have a 43 and wanted to find a reasonably priced 48 to play around with switching frames and slides. Thanks

Blazer90

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2020
    Lafayette
    I don’t post much but ..... I got a 43 about 5 years ago. I’m retired now and maybe I’m too old school...but the 6 capacity is all you need for off duty carry. It’s comfortable and extremely easy to conceal. My thoughts have always been instilled in me that if I really need to engage someone for more than 6 shots while not working ...do I really need to be engaging ? I stick with the basics.

bcod151

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 15, 2012
    LA PORTE
    I like the option for the shield arms 15 rnd mags for the 43x and the 48. Im looking for a 48 mos for my next purchase.

tbhausen

Master
    Rating - 100%
    83   0   0
    Feb 12, 2010
    West Central IN
    Damnit I need to stay off INGO...

Walked into my LGS and there it was! A 43X MOS right under the counter. Short story short, I impulse bought it. I’ve been wanting to start fooling around with pistol optics and what easier and better way than this? Damn thing fits my hand and points better than any Glock I’ve ever picked up. It makes a 19 feel enormous. I paid $599 for it, not bad in this climate. Gotta hand it to the dealer for not price-gouging on things that certainly would sell at higher prices. I’ve never really been a Glock guy at all, but being in the right place at the right time might just end up being “how I learned to stop worrying love a Glock”.

Lee11b

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 22, 2014
    North Webster
    I owned Glocks, Sigs, 1911s, Stars, HKs.....tragic boating accident.....lost them all.....
    BUT each semi auto has it's own unique fit, feel, function, quirk, trigger squeeze, point of aim....you get the just. It just makes sense to buy a gun!!!! Stimulates the economy.
    Besides, drinking and smoking a cigar leave you with nothing after consuming the product....
    Buying and shooting a gun leaves you with.....

The smell of G U N P O W D E R!!!!! :shoot: :shoot:

Newbzzz

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2021
    Anderson
    I just purchased a g43x on sunday. I have not put any rounds threw it yet but i loved how it fit my big hands. I was previously carry a ruger sr9c.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Damnit I need to stay off INGO...

Walked into my LGS and there it was! A 43X MOS right under the counter. Short story short, I impulse bought it. I’ve been wanting to start fooling around with pistol optics and what easier and better way than this? Damn thing fits my hand and points better than any Glock I’ve ever picked up. It makes a 19 feel enormous. I paid $599 for it, not bad in this climate. Gotta hand it to the dealer for not price-gouging on things that certainly would sell at higher prices. I’ve never really been a Glock guy at all, but being in the right place at the right time might just end up being “how I learned to stop worrying love a Glock”.

The Military Arms Channel did a recent video on how the Glock 19 is now obsolete with guns like the 43X and 48 being available.

https://youtu.be/BrkDO4dZi_k

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    One man's opinion and possibly valid unless a 19 feels better in you hand than a 48 :D. Painting with a broad brush can miss some spots.

Yup. Not suggesting that he’s right. Heck, I still carry a P229. That’s obsolete by several degrees. :)

Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    The shore of wonderful Lake Michigan
    The Military Arms Channel did a recent video on how the Glock 19 is now obsolete with guns like the 43X and 48 being available.

It's not obsolete. Despite the 48 being much more comfortable in my baby sized hands, I will buy another 19 at some point mainly for compatibility with the numerous Glock 17 magazines I have amassed over the years.

Top Bottom