• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Oldschool1911s

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 7, 2021
    NWI
    I am looking for some feedback on a Glock 29 for a EDC. What do you think are the pros and be cons and why... Including what could potentially be the end result if you were to end up in court from a self defense situation.

Biggredchev

Just some guy
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 16, 2017
    Pretty much Michigan.
    I am looking for some feedback on a Glock 29 for a EDC. What do you think are the pros and be cons and why... Including what could potentially be the end result if you were to end up in court from a self defense situation.
    Carry what you like. The end result im court will be the same regardless of what tool you use to get the job done.

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    Well personally I do not even know what a Glock 29 is, so I am well qualified to make a recommendation for you.

There are no universal pros and cons for any hand gun. Really does not matter to anyone else with regard to your choice of an edc. Best advice would be to find brand x that works best for you, train with it know it inside and out.

Then I am not really sure what your asking with regards to potential end result If you end up in court? I would spend more,time,worrying about understanding the laws of your state and avoiding conflicts in general. Versus some hypothetical scenario. Additionally I would keep a set of tools for different situations, such as a flash etc, have options available, there is no one size fits all.

LEaSH

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I think he's wondering if 10mm used in a defensive situation would be portrayed excessive by a prosecutor.

It really shouldn't matter. 357 mag, 45acp, 44mag, etc.

If you're right, you're right. If you go as far as to be prosecuted, I expect they'd run every imagined excessive scenario - firearm caliber being only one thing that they'd try to bleat over.

I'd think the g29 would be a fine carry weapon if you don't worry about concealment. That thing is a chunk. But I love it.

rooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I got one to carry out west on bow hunts. It’s heavy, you will need a reinforced belt and a good holster. I run a hybrid and it spreads the weight out.

As for court I pray I never need find out. The grip is closer to a G19 and almost fits my whole hand. Takes some getting used to the recoil so plan on practicing a lot of your not used to a big bore gun.

after shooting it for a while a 9mm carry piece feels like a 22 if that tell you anything. You can get away with running 40 through it for practice and that has almost no recoil.

most 10mm rounds are not full power. You will know without a doubt the difference if you get some Buffalo bore or underwood.

Oldschool1911s

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 7, 2021
    NWI
    I think he's wondering if 10mm used in a defensive situation would be portrayed excessive by a prosecutor.

It really shouldn't matter. 357 mag, 45acp, 44mag, etc.

If you're right, you're right. If you go as far as to be prosecuted, I expect they'd run every imagined excessive scenario - firearm caliber being only one thing that they'd try to bleat over.

I'd think the g29 would be a fine carry weapon if you don't worry about concealment. That thing is a chunk. But I love it.
    Bullseye

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    Really I do not see it being an issue. I think if you used a toy gun from Cracker Barrel that popped a cork out attached to a string some one could try to make an issue out of it. If they were intent on doing so. Mr Prosecutor could argue that you knew full well that using a toy gun would not be taken seriously by the average criminal, and you should have known better than to try such a stunt. He could easily argue that you were not in fear for your life or at risk of serious bodily injury when you drew your cork gun from it’s holster, as such you are responsible for the death of the criminal when he died laughing.

The only thing I would think about is cosmetic customization. Such as something that could be taken out of context by a layman. Such as some phrase that might offend or lead the average person to question your intentions.

Aside from that I stand by my original recommendations.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    This article says it works OK.

My very limited experience shooting a G20 left me wanting one. I still do, but holding out for a Gen5 MOS version.

All that said, if you are just starting out and deciding what Glock to carry, G19 IS the way to go. You can specialize after becoming proficient with the standard. :twocents:

Oldschool1911s

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 7, 2021
    NWI
    This article says it works OK.

My very limited experience shooting a G20 left me wanting one. I still do, but holding out for a Gen5 MOS version.

All that said, if you are just starting out and deciding what Glock to carry, G19 IS the way to go. You can specialize after becoming proficient with the standard. :twocents:
    Very good thanks

Oldschool1911s

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 7, 2021
    NWI
    I got one to carry out west on bow hunts. It’s heavy, you will need a reinforced belt and a good holster. I run a hybrid and it spreads the weight out.

As for court I pray I never need find out. The grip is closer to a G19 and almost fits my whole hand. Takes some getting used to the recoil so plan on practicing a lot of your not used to a big bore gun.

after shooting it for a while a 9mm carry piece feels like a 22 if that tell you anything. You can get away with running 40 through it for practice and that has almost no recoil.

most 10mm rounds are not full power. You will know without a doubt the difference if you get some Buffalo bore or underwood.
    Can I use the 10mm mags for the 40 also? That would be a good idea to get more range time in with out having to take out a loan!

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    Can I use the 10mm mags for the 40 also? That would be a good idea to get more range time in with out having to take out a loan!
    Most say that 40 in G29 mags works fine, but the cartridge no longer headspaces correctly in the chamber and is held in place solely by the extractor. Some say that you will eventually run into problems. I say don't buy an EDC gun in a caliber that you can't afford to shoot. What is 10mm going to do for you in a defensive situation over a standard service caliber like 9mm, 40 or 45?

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I've carried a Glock 29 in the past, and it's a dependable, utilitarian, concealable pistol that goes "bang" when you squeeze the trigger and fires the potent 10mm round which is one of my favorite rounds.

If you had to use it for a lawful defensive purpose, you won't have as much money in it as nicer quality pistols, so it won't eat at you as much when the police swipe it and it's years or never that you get it back.

The standard magazine is 10 rounds, and it can also use the 15 round Glock 20 magazines.
    I carried Underwood brand ammo in it for defensive purposes.

The downside for me is it's like other Glocks, the ergonomics, trigger. and natural point of aim leave a lot to be desired. YMMV

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn

most 10mm rounds are not full power. You will know without a doubt the difference if you get some Buffalo Bore or Underwood.
    There ya go...many 'lighter' 10mm rounds perform more in line with .40 S&W caliber than a 'hotter' 10mm, which can run into the .44 magnum range. Do your research on the manufacturer's bullet velocity and energy ratings to make sure you know what you're getting and carrying as far as the ammunition you have in your pistol.
    I used this site for basic information regarding the ammo I chose and carry:
    www.ballistics101.com

Last edited:

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    Most say that 40 in G29 mags works fine, but the cartridge no longer headspaces correctly in the chamber and is held in place solely by the extractor. Some say that you will eventually run into problems. I say don't buy an EDC gun in a caliber that you can't afford to shoot. What is 10mm going to do for you in a defensive situation over a standard service caliber like 9mm, 40 or 45?
    Trick...simply procure a .40 S&W barrel for the Glock 29 and it'll run just fine.
    I'm a fan of KKM Precision barrels...here's a .40 S&W barrel for the Glock 29:
    https://kkmprecision.com/product/29-match-40sw-2/

Last edited:

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012

Caliber/cartridge hasn't been much for narrative building locally. I never had a prosecutor ask me about it. I think the biggest downside is cost of ammunition and increased recoil for no real payoff vs human targets. Lots of folks say things like "I'm not recoil sensitive", and they probably aren't. Until they are injured and/or shooting with a compromised grip. People tend to assume they'll start their gun fight standing and healthy. Often they get their wish, but not always.

Oldschool1911s

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 7, 2021
    NWI
    Caliber/cartridge hasn't been much for narrative building locally. I never had a prosecutor ask me about it. I think the biggest downside is cost of ammunition and increased recoil for no real payoff vs human targets. Lots of folks say things like "I'm not recoil sensitive", and they probably aren't. Until they are injured and/or shooting with a compromised grip. People tend to assume they'll start their gun fight standing and healthy. Often they get their wish, but not always.
    ??? Thank you.... Interesting, something to think about

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    I would advise you to go try one out before you buy. Sig makes a decent 10mm rd their 180gr V-Crown HP it avg fps was 1193 out of a 5" barrel. Underwood run around 1258fps from a 5" barrel 180gr XTP HP. It has a little kick to it.
    The 10mm with full load is between a 357 magnum and a 41 magnum in power.

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    There ya go...many 'lighter' 10mm rounds perform more in line with .40 S&W caliber than a 'hotter' 10mm, which can run into the .44 magnum range. Do your research on the manufacturer's bullet velocity and energy ratings to make sure you know what you're getting and carrying as far as the ammunition you have in your pistol.
    I used this site for basic information regarding the ammo I chose and carry:
    www.ballistics101.com

Uh.... no. 10mm may be capable of some heat, but not 1000ftlbs of heat, geez.
    In the end it's just a slightly more juicy service cartridge, that all sorts of mythical nonsense has been ascribed to. If you need to shoot heavy deep penetrating bullets into creatures in the woods, it's great.

It's not going to benefit you even 1% against something on 2 legs, but if it makes you feel better, have at it.

The 29 is probably the last thing I'd consider for EDC for 2 reasons. It's the large frame glock which has an obnoxiously wide slide that will be comically uncomfortably to conceal, and you're sacrificing enough barrel length that you're castrating the performance of the 10mm down to that of a 40 or below. So the entire purpose of going for that hot rodded cartridge is out of the window.

Typically 10mm pushes the same bullets 40S&W shoots about 100fps faster. Is that enough to matter? Maybe? But what are you shooting? More energy doesn't equal more better automatically. And buffalo bore, boutique ammo... Yeah, I hope that's what you use for practice because it's going to have a different POI because of the velocity difference. And it's not great for the frame of most guns, while giving you a tiny tiny amount of additional power.

Honestly, if you want to carry a 10mm, just get a 1911 in 10mm, it's going to be the easiest possible format to carry a 10mm. But in all honesty, if you're just after a hotrod you can manage to carry, get a S&W 329PD and call it a day, you'll be looking for lighter loadings rather than trying to hotrod a cartridge to its limit.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom