• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Water63

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 18, 2010
    West Central IN
    My daughter just got a Glock 27 Gen 3 and really likes it. It seems to handle recoil much better than her Glock 23 Gen 3. My question is the 23 has a stock recoil spring in it and she would like to upgrade it to something to handle the recoil more like the 27. I need some recommendations please.
    The loads she is using is a 180 grain bullet. Carry ammo is Winchester PDX1 180 gr. The 165 and 155 grain stuff is so snappy that recovery time is a issue.
    Does Glock have a heavier spring or dowe need to go with a wolf kit or something similar.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Given the 27 is smaller and lighter, what you are describing is counter intuitive. The 27 is shorter, lighter, and has a smaller grip. The factory springs in a 23/27 are 17/16lbs (respectively) Would 1lb help recoil that much? :scratch:

Unless the 27 just fits her hand better.

Water63

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 18, 2010
    West Central IN
    Given the 27 is smaller and lighter, what you are describing is counter intuitive. The 27 is shorter, lighter, and has a smaller grip. The factory springs in a 23/27 are 17/16lbs (respectively) Would 1lb help recoil that much? :scratch:

Unless the 27 just fits her hand better.

The 23 has a single spring and the 27 has a 2 stage spring there is a difference in the felt recoil. The 23 has more muzzle flip than the shorter 27. That is why I am asking because it make no sense to me either.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Actually it does make sense, sort of. The G27 is lighter and shorter. Result is the recoil of the slide is faster and less muzzle weight means the barrel dips less as the slide returns to battery. It is not the G23 recoiling more (actually the G27 would have more recoil). What you are describing as a problem is the torque and muzzel rise, then fighting the gun as it returns to battery. Crazy as it sounds a lighter 15 lb recoil spring might help. However I would not recommend a lighter spring with full power loads or for carry. If she shoots the G27 better then carry the G27.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Upgrade to the gen 4. It has a dual recoil spring similar to the 27.

I think you can also get aftermarket dual springs (yep: Glock Dual Action Recoil Springs). I also had accuracy problems with my 23. I sold off my 23 and 27 for a 19/42. Love them both and given my accuracy with the new guns, I never looked back.

You might also work with her on technique. proper wrist lockup and her follow up shots will be much quicker.

Top Bottom