• ...and so much more!
  • Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    Has she shot before? Does she have any training on how to use a pistol? If you and her are really serious about carrying for self defense, I'd highly recommend finding some training.

Just throwing a small pistol in a pocket/purse is about 2% of the equation. When are you legally allowed to use it? What do you do if you pull the trigger and it goes click instead of bang?

All of those questions matter.

If she has any some training and already knows how to use a pistol proficiently, I'd recommend the largest pistol she can conceal AND shoot good. As LEO mentioned above, the smaller the gun, the harder it is to use we'll.

mikebol

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 22, 2015
    Trafalgar
    Also, consider going to the Boot Barn and buy her a concealed carry purse. My wife has a really nice leather purse with a gun pouch and direct access. She's not comfortable open carrying and finds it difficult to conceal carry in the summer time.

Mike

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    Has she shot before? Does she have any training on how to use a pistol? If you and her are really serious about carrying for self defense, I'd highly recommend finding some training.

Just throwing a small pistol in a pocket/purse is about 2% of the equation. When are you legally allowed to use it? What do you do if you pull the trigger and it goes click instead of bang?

All of those questions matter.

If she has any some training and already knows how to use a pistol proficiently, I'd recommend the largest pistol she can conceal AND shoot good. As LEO mentioned above, the smaller the gun, the harder it is to use we'll.

Yep. All good questions. What's her experience level? How big are her hands? It is a handgun after all. If she's done some shooting, what does she like?

Do not simply throw it in a purse without the appropriate holster (or use a purpose built purse). It's a disaster waiting to happen (to say nothing about all the risks and disadvantages of off-body carry). If one is going to carry off-body in a purse, do it properly or don't do it at all (my opinion of course).

Just a few of many examples that could be cited:

Last edited:

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    Small semi autos are hard to operate and hard to clear jams because there just is not enough to hold. Easy to get the muzzle pointed in the wrong direction. A small revolver like an S&W 60 or any of the models similar in 38 spl. is hard to beat.
    Easier than that first double action shot with a J frame?????
    If truly a compact revolver was the best option for a woman, LE and the Armed Services sould still issue them.
    My sisters and my bestie have no issues carrying sub-compact fo full size autoloaders.
    The two women LEO here in Alex carry Glock 17's.
    OP, dont let her be under gunned.

Take her to a range and let her rent a few,
    Let her pick what she's gonna carry.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    I'll also add, of the 5 (so far) women close to me in my life that carry - none, zero, zip carry a lightweight, small-frame revolver.

They do, however, tend to gravitate toward smaller autos for carry due to the constraints of women's fashion, but absent that constraint, they all prefer larger autos (they're just not as easily concealed by current women's fashion). They all also have some formal training.

YMMV.

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    orzIiyQ.jpg

P365X, the smallest most reliable pistol that most people can get a full grip on IMHO. Optics are easy for newbies to pick up (it's all they know so no "learning curve" ) and the optic makes slide manipulation easy.

MrSmitty

Master of useless information
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    New Albany
    Yep. All good questions. What's her experience level? How big are her hands? It is a handgun after all. If she's done some shooting, what does she like?

Do not simply throw it in a purse without the appropriate holster (or use a purpose built purse). It's a disaster waiting to happen (to say nothing about all the risks and disadvantages of off-body carry). If one is going to carry off-body in a purse, do it properly or don't do it at all (my opinion of course).

Just a few of many examples that could be cited:

Don't forget, if it is open carried, a 5 year old could steal it.......
    Right

OkieGirl

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2012
    iti anunka (In the trees)
    GF looking for a small gun for purse and holster. Pocket 380 maybe? Suggestions and reviews. Thanks

First of all, let me say AWESOME that she is interested in carrying! That is half the battle.

Second, please take her to a firearms store that has a selection of pistols that can be rented. Have her hold five or six in her own hand, rack the slide, and see what fits or feels more natural. [Basic rule of thumb: if you wouldn't bring home a pair of shoes or a bra for her...it's probably best to let her make this selection too]. Have her rent and shoot two or three that she liked best, the one she naturally shoots best wins!

The best news for you is that you get to shepherd her into a general area of what you might think she will like, and she gets to make that final selection. THEN you get range time while helping her with the test firing of the rented pistols...AND you will have better 'buy in' for her comfort in carrying. After that, schedule date night at the range a few times a month for training. :twocents:

Destro

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 10, 2011
    The Khyber Pass
    Easier than that first double action shot with a J frame?????
    If truly a compact revolver was the best option for a woman, LE and the Armed Services sould still issue them.
    My sisters and my bestie have no issues carrying sub-compact fo full size autoloaders.
    The two women LEO here in Alex carry Glock 17's.
    OP, dont let her be under gunned.

Take her to a range and let her rent a few,
    Let her pick what she's gonna carry.
    A duty gun and a gun for concealed, personal protection have different considerations.

I hesitate mentioning a j frame for a new shooter, but I don't know that a full size handgun is better.

We are in a golden age for subcompact firearms.

1SG USA Ret

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 13, 2010
    Pendleton
    What Creedmoor said! Have her handle a few pistols until she finds the right fit for her hand/grip. Then have her fire off some rounds to see if she is comfortable with that round or needs a bigger/smaller caliber to be totally happy. Then have her do some target shooting with it. When she starts smiling, tell her to name the pistol. You know like "Baby" "Trouble" or ??? It is then that she bonds with her heater.

Top Bottom